This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    would love for my daughter to play div 3 or 3 soccer. dont really care about div 1 so much, would be great, but i think div 2 or 3, at a smaller school would be great for her. i think thats a more realistic goal. Get a little (little i know is the key word) money for that. less you have to spend out of pocket and save for graduate school.
    Girls odds are better than boys, Tittle IX

Comment

Be sure to look at the Chances of High School Athlete playing College Sports link.

2% of all high school athletes (1:50) play D1

Soccer:

417,419 High School Boys
      37,890 College Men (only 5,750 are D1)
      Rated as high foreign that skews the participation percentages for many sports to be artificially high. = the stated 9.1% hard to trust but would equate to only 1.8 players on a 20 man team are going to play in college.

The ultimate odds of any one kid in the player pool competing in D1 Soccer 1.4% ( that is 1.4 of every 100 boys in their graduating class or using the 20 person team 1.4 from 5 teams.

DA / Showcase Level etc.... teams certainly would have slightly better stats but even if it is a 20% better you still don't have much of a chance. Compare the chances of American football to D1 @ 2.4% for more than double the pool size and almost 3x the college slots. There chances are slightly better.

Then factor in your sons grades, willingness to live that far away from home to play soccer, can you afford to make up the difference in tuition at the out of state school?

More Fun Facts

Odds of being stuck by lightning 1 : 12000

www.ncaa.org
      1.4% of college soccer players are drafted into the MLS
      [/QUOTE]

Odds of my A student getting an academic scholarship... 100% where are your priorities?

Comment

LOL...thanks for the giggle.
        feel truly sorry for your child. good luck.

Comment

Odds of my A student getting an academic scholarship... 100% where are your priorities?[/QUOTE]

This is a soccer forum genius. We talk all things soccer not Bright Futures. These academic blowhards are so annoying.

Comment

LOL...thanks for the giggle.
            So true.....lots of comedians suffering from myopia in here. Kind of sad really.

Comment

Odds of my A student getting an academic scholarship... 100% where are your priorities?[/QUOTE]

having A's is not all there is to it. SAT / ACT big component, class ranking, etc. All plays into whether you'll get much academic money too. Many kids with great grades too make it harder for schools to give much. And those D2 schools, very costly private. Many D3 are too.

Comment

What schools will be on top of standings for boys and girls this year

Comment

My daughter enjoys HS. Its a nice break from her club team. The girls on the HS team play more like a team and get along really well. Unlike her club team.To many big egos on club the club team!

Comment

My daughter enjoys HS. Its a nice break from her club team. The girls on the HS team play more like a team and get along really well. Unlike her club team.To many big egos on club the club team!
                    yes, not to mention some club parents who are almost impossible to be around. Take it way to seriously. It is just a kids game. You adults need to chill out. Especially the overbearing coaches.

Comment

yes, not to mention some club parents who are almost impossible to be around. Take it way to seriously. It is just a kids game. You adults need to chill out. Especially the overbearing coaches.
                      Those same unbearable club parents are here belittling the girls from other teams.

Comment

Amen!!! Sometimes soccer should be fun and even though everyone of the players on our HS team are travel players, it is a lot of fun. My daughter who is on a high level travel team was so very ready for the break from her travel coach.

Comment

It is simple. Most HS players grew up together in the same neighborhood or came up through the same private schools. These kids have history and put that ahead of the game. Club is so driven by ego and the movement to be on the best team playing for the best coach means that many of the worst of the worst parents end up on the same sideline. One blowhard going on and on about scores, rankings, ODP, ID2 and Showcases is one thing. 3 or more dads doing that is like nails on a chalkboard. You are literally the only ones on the sideline and you can't escape them. At least in HS you have a stadium where you can get as far away from those jackwagons as possible...even if it means sitting with the opposing team.

Comment

Was at a HS game and the same annoying travel bench player parents that I try to avoid were there smacking their yappers as usual.

Comment

It is simple. Most HS players grew up together in the same neighborhood or came up through the same private schools. These kids have history and put that ahead of the game. Club is so driven by ego and the movement to be on the best team playing for the best coach means that many of the worst of the worst parents end up on the same sideline. One blowhard going on and on about scores, rankings, ODP, ID2 and Showcases is one thing. 3 or more dads doing that is like nails on a chalkboard. You are literally the only ones on the sideline and you can't escape them. At least in HS you have a stadium where you can get as far away from those jackwagons as possible...even if it means sitting with the opposing team.
                              There is something to breaking up the monotony and the change in players and coaches. The hardest part is our high school does not have all club players. The few ECNL and ODP players can't get the job done with their regular teammates and then it gets frustrating for the players and parents, but they try to keep it in high school perspective and have fun.

Comment

High school soccer has begun this week for most. In recent years travel soccer went to one practice a week due to conflicting schedules and the risk of injuries. Is your team following the same schedule? Just wondering.
                                HS soccer is a good break for the kids and it allows them to be proud to represent their school and great to be a school athlete regardless of the level of HS soccer. My opinion is that most HS coaches start their training with physical fitness without realizing that most of the players that play club soccer already started training since August and are half way through their season before the start of HS. Instead of them focusing on technical footwork for those players, they run them as part of their tryouts which can potentially lead to injuries and burnout. Secondly, most HS teams play approximately 2 - 3 games a week so the players hardly get a break for the 3 months of compacted HS season. On the other hand, if a club decides to cut down club training to one day a week, some parents will complain that the club is not offering the 2 or 3 sessions a weak and sometimes demand that the club make up the missing training sessions during HS season. If the club continue to offer the 2 or 3 training sessions a weak, you will get only a few kids because of conflicts with HS schedule, rest and homework.

I know that some coaches try to schedule a weekend training session for the teams to keep chemistry and continue to train as a group but still they cannot make it mandatory and even with that session, some parents still will complain. I think they should just train 1 day a week with their club team or just let them fully enjoy their HS experience and give them the first 2 months of HS off and resume 1 day a week training in January leading to to the end of HS season. This is just my point of view.

Comment

Working...
                                X