Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Soccer is not a priority in the US. Did you think we should just win because we are the US?

Our best athletes don't play soccer.
    This is just an excuse. I have coached / seen very athletic kids over the years who were not good at soccer and have gone on to become very good basketball and football players. For some of these kids, too many technical skills, on and off the ball to be mastered in order to be a good soccer player. I coach one kid from U6 through U13 and two years ago was his first year ever player football and he is now projected to be a D1 college star. Kid was ok when we played the ball into space and have him chase but once you put a defender in front of him his feet just seem to get in the way. For him, football was easier than soccer. I think part of it is, while the kid was playing since he was 6, I don’t think he ever watched a soccer game. Every weekend college and pro football was on in his house, so he was more exposed to football and probably picked up a lot of nuances just watching on tv.

Just because someone who is a good basketball or football player, does not mean automatic success in soccer. The best athlete comment is simply a cop out especially when you think of all the money and best facilities at our disposal here in the US.

Comment

And you need to get out more; talk to more people. Though most of our kids are in college, when they get together it is for a run to the park for a pick up game; texting makes this very easy to pull a group together in a minute. When they were younger they'd do it at our house, and when bored, they'd switch to four-square. Our youngest (still soccering) keeps a ball rolling around the house. Everyone plays indoors, and always have.
      Again, the exception.

If I was to guess how many soccer players (competitive and rec) have a soccer culture at home as you do, I would guess maybe 20%.....tops.

It probably breaks down like 60% of competitive players and 5% of the rec players.

In other countries its probably close to 90% of their soccer players.

Out of 15 players on my son's competitive team, I would say only 10 of them really play pickup day-to-day. I would say that only 5 of them love soccer to the point where they collect soccer cards, watch soccer on TV (and I don't mean the occasional USMNT or Barcelona game), etc.

Ten years ago, the numbers were less. So its definitely growing.

Comment

This is just an excuse. I have coached / seen very athletic kids over the years who were not good at soccer and have gone on to become very good basketball and football players. For some of these kids, too many technical skills, on and off the ball to be mastered in order to be a good soccer player. I coach one kid from U6 through U13 and two years ago was his first year ever player football and he is now projected to be a D1 college star. Kid was ok when we played the ball into space and have him chase but once you put a defender in front of him his feet just seem to get in the way. For him, football was easier than soccer. I think part of it is, while the kid was playing since he was 6, I don’t think he ever watched a soccer game. Every weekend college and pro football was on in his house, so he was more exposed to football and probably picked up a lot of nuances just watching on tv.

Just because someone who is a good basketball or football player, does not mean automatic success in soccer. The best athlete comment is simply a cop out especially when you think of all the money and best facilities at our disposal here in the US.
        Ochocinco Chad Johnson played soccer until 10th grade in Miami area. Guess he made the right choice.

Comment

It is a mistery

What is the benefit of having tryouts for U-5 to U-10?
          May be upto U-12? Why do these kids have to travel 300 to 500hrs to train 80 hrs and play 40 hrs? per year??

How can these baby sitting coaches who are a failure themselves take on the task of dealing with developing fresh minds?

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;1669897]>

>>>2. Youth soccer rankings

As if development was great prior to internet and rankings???

Comment

Again, the exception.

If I was to guess how many soccer players (competitive and rec) have a soccer culture at home as you do, I would guess maybe 20%.....tops.

It probably breaks down like 60% of competitive players and 5% of the rec players.

In other countries its probably close to 90% of their soccer players.

Out of 15 players on my son's competitive team, I would say only 10 of them really play pickup day-to-day. I would say that only 5 of them love soccer to the point where they collect soccer cards, watch soccer on TV (and I don't mean the occasional USMNT or Barcelona game), etc.

Ten years ago, the numbers were less. So its definitely growing.
              Most of the kids in competitive soccer in the Miami area (I would say a very high percentage) have soccer culture in their home. there's pick up in Miami. And yet Miami is a mess. The parents ruin it. every parent thinks their kid is messi. they don't let the coaches work. when your kid is not "featured" as you think he should be featured, jump club. B/c you know soccer more than the coach. Rare to see teams play together 2 or 3 years. everyone is out for their own kid. so, soccer culture "Miami style" is a problem. you need soccer culture and you need a program that gets the parents out of the equation.

Comment

Most of the kids in competitive soccer in the Miami area (I would say a very high percentage) have soccer culture in their home. there's pick up in Miami. And yet Miami is a mess. The parents ruin it. every parent thinks their kid is messi. they don't let the coaches work. when your kid is not "featured" as you think he should be featured, jump club. B/c you know soccer more than the coach. Rare to see teams play together 2 or 3 years. everyone is out for their own kid. so, soccer culture "Miami style" is a problem. you need soccer culture and you need a program that gets the parents out of the equation.
                I can imagine Miami teams being a nightmare from all the soccer parents being a pain in the a.s.s....

Comment

Boys, when it looks bleak and your backs are against the wall I want you to go out there with all you got and win just one for the Klinger!!!!

Sincerely,

Knute Rockne

Comment

I agree with the point you are trying to make. But Jermaine Jones is a bad example.

He is German-American. He was born and raised in Germany with German family. Grew up playing soccer in the schoolyard for fun. Was trained at top academies and HAS a soccer culture. If he is not as savvy as Guardado, its because he's just not.

He never lived in America until signing with the MLS.
                    I guess Jones was never selected for Germany's National team because he simply wasn't good enough...yet here folks think he is top notch..

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;1670265]
                      >

>>>2. Youth soccer rankings

As if development was great prior to internet and rankings???
                      Claudio Reyna

Brian McBride

John Harkes

Joe-Max Moore

Eddie Pope

Tab Ramos

These guys all played before GOT soccer and I don't see any current US player with the exception of Bradley and Dempsey who is better than of them....Whatever happened to that Green kid who was taken to the World Cup instead of Landon? Why wasn't he playing in the Gold Cup or in the game on Saturday.....

Comment

Exactly. Thank you for the gift. Or a keeper booting the ball to no one. and losing possession "Great kick!" Are you kidding me? Play with your left back who is wide open and asking for the ball!

Or the player who is fast and takes it down the wing alone and crosses to no one. "Great run!" Huh? If he doesn't have numbers, he should play it back.
                        No, you (and a few others) have fallen for the cliches thrown by amateur hour coaches.
                        You don't send the ball back out of the offensive end in your scenario because it's become 'fashionable'. He should relax, find space and wait for help which should be arriving very quick.

GADZOOKS! Soccer lemmings breed quick around here.

Comment

No, you (and a few others) have fallen for the cliches thrown by amateur hour coaches.
                          You don't send the ball back out of the offensive end in your scenario because it's become 'fashionable'. He should relax, find space and wait for help which should be arriving very quick.

HUH?!?!?

Not following...

Comment

So which team was better? 2015,2005 or 1994..

POSITION......11/10/2015......08/10/2005.....07/09/1994
                            COACH.........KLINSMANN.........ARENA........MILUT INOVIC
                            1......................GUZAN............HOWARD.... ......FRIEDEL
                            2...................JOHNSON.............POPE...... .......DOOLEY
                            3....................BEASLEY..........ALBRIGHT.... ......AGOOS
                            4....................J.JONES..........MASTROENI... ...CALIGIURI
                            5...................CAMERON..........ONYEWU....... ...BALBOA
                            6.....................BESLER.........BOCANEGRA.... .....LALAS
                            7....................BRADLEY............LEWIS..... ........C.JONES
                            8...................DEMPSEY...........CONVEY...... ......REYNA
                            9...................ALTIDORE...........CHING...... ......STEWART
                            10...................ZARDES.........TWELLMAN...... ...SORBER
                            11.................BECKERMAN.......BEASLEY........ ....PEREZ

Comment

?? I think you misunderstood. if say one of your wing forwards makes a wide run and has no one accompanying him, he should not cross to no one or hold the ball up in the corner while 2 or 3 defenders collapse on him. the correct play is to stop realizing you don't have numbers and play back, not to your defensive side, but to the wide midfielder who, hopefully, has moved up to 3/4 position and is showing for the ball....if the winger makes a crazy cross, he is pointlessly losing possession. This is not ALWAYS true, of course, if you are Neymar you can play with the ball a bit. But when it comes to learning soccer, you need to learn principles to then use your skill to deviate when you are older.

Comment

sad thing we can go on here and everyone is saying the same thing really. but the higher up who make all the decisions are not listening. it is and always will be about winning the DA just made it worse. drop all DA showcases have just the few for the HS kids for college showcase and i bet most kids(because of there parents) will quite and go onto another sport. what that will leave is for kids who really love the sport to continue. also i don't think its only failing because of pay to play. we could have done DA but told get skill above other kids but not big and strong enough. well if he hasnt finished growing then why cant they develop him. oh because its about winning..... well went to the country where he holds the other passport and they did not see it the same. thanks U.S. for pushing skilled kids out.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X