Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US Soccer Needs to Add U16 DA - How do we do it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US Soccer Needs to Add U16 DA - How do we do it?

I see failure in the US Soccer Development Academy forcing over half the players out of the program when they are 14 and 15 years old by combining U16 and U17. On our team only 3 players out of 18 are remaining in the Development Academy from U15 to the U16/U17 Team - that's 83% of the best players being forced out of US Soccer if other teams pick like our team does. A top Corinthians Development Coach stated that the worst player at 13 and 14 years old can be the best player at 15 and 16 years old due to growth and life changes given the have adequate technical skills. The point being Brazil cultivates the age group and the US Soccer pushes them out of the program at age 14 and 15 years old. With the change of leadership, I would expect a change but I have not seen one yet. It looks to be a lot of talk and no action from US Soccer. BTW, 95% of the US Teams come from the Development Academy Program.

How do we get US Soccer's Attention?

The U18/U19 combination is not that bad due to many of the boys go to College at U19 but they should be separated too; however, I think the priority should be U16.

Additionally, the Academies should like to have additional revenue of another 18 players.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I see failure in the US Soccer Development Academy forcing over half the players out of the program when they are 14 and 15 years old by combining U16 and U17. On our team only 3 players out of 18 are remaining in the Development Academy from U15 to the U16/U17 Team - that's 83% of the best players being forced out of US Soccer if other teams pick like our team does. A top Corinthians Development Coach stated that the worst player at 13 and 14 years old can be the best player at 15 and 16 years old due to growth and life changes given the have adequate technical skills. The point being Brazil cultivates the age group and the US Soccer pushes them out of the program at age 14 and 15 years old. With the change of leadership, I would expect a change but I have not seen one yet. It looks to be a lot of talk and no action from US Soccer. BTW, 95% of the US Teams come from the Development Academy Program.

How do we get US Soccer's Attention?

The U18/U19 combination is not that bad due to many of the boys go to College at U19 but they should be separated too; however, I think the priority should be U16.

Additionally, the Academies should like to have additional revenue of another 18 players.
    Provided the training remains good and the club places the "reserve" squad in competitive leagues and tournaments, I think you are looking at it the wrong way. Being outside the DA system could mean more games, more playing time, diversity in playing style, more development. It sounds like you are saying that if you are outside DA, your kids cannot progress and this is wrong. It is a blessing in disguise really. DA play can be very mechanical, the games small in number and the rules restrictive. Look at it as a positive. And yes you are right, the best kids at 13/14 are not the best at 16/17 and yes you are also right most brazilians are all into this and understand that you cannot evaluate kids until after puberty. at 13/14 too many differences based on timing of puberty.

Comment

It's pretty simple - if you don't make the U17 squad you're not that good. You can stick around for the B team and hope you make it the next year, a risky call, or play elsewhere and actually play and possibly play HS if you want. You're certainly not going pro if you don't make the cut. Those kids play up all the time, multiple age groups sometimes. Having combined age groups is one of the few good things about BDA.

Comment

It's pretty simple - if you don't make the U17 squad you're not that good. You can stick around for the B team and hope you make it the next year, a risky call, or play elsewhere and actually play and possibly play HS if you want. You're certainly not going pro if you don't make the cut. Those kids play up all the time, multiple age groups sometimes. Having combined age groups is one of the few good things about BDA.
        Dude, not even those that on the u17 squad are going to be "pro" in any meaningful way. Any kid that will be playing pro at a high level should be overseas at this age. Spend a year or two bouncing around USL or something like that, yeah, maybe. But pro where it means some real $, please, you wouldn't be in DA at this age. u16s that are in the reserve squad all have a good chance of being on the team next year and seen by college scouts which is really the endgame for most of these kids, assuming they have the grades and SAT scores.

Comment

Dude, not even those that on the u17 squad are going to be "pro" in any meaningful way. Any kid that will be playing pro at a high level should be overseas at this age. Spend a year or two bouncing around USL or something like that, yeah, maybe. But pro where it means some real $, please, you wouldn't be in DA at this age. u16s that are in the reserve squad all have a good chance of being on the team next year and seen by college scouts which is really the endgame for most of these kids, assuming they have the grades and SAT scores.
          100 percent correct. da is for college.

Comment

Op here - of course not. But my point was if you can't make that cut for U17 you're soccer future is readily apparent. College, probably a lower level, is where it's going. At that point you have to wonder about the sanity of sticking with DA. Many kids get recruited to lower level D1 D2 and D3 programs from non DS clubs.

Comment

The Point is US Soccer Needs to add U16 team

There is a lot of negative people out there on this Forum. I've heard the very same thing that MLS Professionals were good but would not be noticed at age 13 but become professionals at 21 and 22 after college. If a leading country in Soccer like Brazil feels it is too early to get rid of players because of their body development is not done, why would not US Soccer who could not even get in the World Cup go all out to keep the players going? I too feel US Soccer is failing and this is one area of many they are failing. If I am failing I look at all possibilities to improve and US Soccer is not. The DA Academies practice 4 days a week, they have video and they measure each player - it is very structured vs. pre-Academies only practice 3 days a week as a rule, no video and not as structured.

Comment

There is a lot of negative people out there on this Forum. I've heard the very same thing that MLS Professionals were good but would not be noticed at age 13 but become professionals at 21 and 22 after college. If a leading country in Soccer like Brazil feels it is too early to get rid of players because of their body development is not done, why would not US Soccer who could not even get in the World Cup go all out to keep the players going? I too feel US Soccer is failing and this is one area of many they are failing. If I am failing I look at all possibilities to improve and US Soccer is not. The DA Academies practice 4 days a week, they have video and they measure each player - it is very structured vs. pre-Academies only practice 3 days a week as a rule, no video and not as structured.
                i hear your point and agree about the physical development part. i also feel that da is really slanted to the more physically developed kids. but your belief that if your kid is out of da for a year he is lost is flat out wrong. it presents an opportunity to develop in a different way and be a better player when he returns u17. da's structure is in a way a major limitation. being in a pre-academy opens opportunities that da does not. i would say get over it. how many at the 2018 world cup played one game at DA? none. the sport is much much bigger.

Comment

it would be great for there to be a u16 da by the way. not arguing that. but think of it this way: the goal is not DA, the goal is for your kid to be a skillful, intelligent player. my guess is that those 4X a week practices for 3 years probably has helped to at least partially check off the intelligent box. but is your son skillful? skillful is where DA does not really help you. to me the majority of DA players can do some skills and not others. And they will never develop the skills they have not mastered b/c it means losing the ball which means the bench. the step back should allow a player a chance to improve skills at a lower level and then hopefully implement those skills once you return to DA. at DA skills that are not mastered are hard to develop and implement in games. just my opinion.

Comment

What the heck do you mean "if you don't make the U17 squad you're not that good"? So assume that you have Three really good players at a certain position, two 02's and one 03, which players do you think will get that position? The 02's, of course.

Comment

What the heck do you mean "if you don't make the U17 squad you're not that good"? So assume that you have Three really good players at a certain position, two 02's and one 03, which players do you think will get that position? The 02's, of course.
                      The correct answer should be whoever is the better player, regardless of age. Doesn't always happen that way but is how it is supposed to work.

Comment

Many times it is the Most Developed Player vs Best

The correct answer should be whoever is the better player, regardless of age. Doesn't always happen that way but is how it is supposed to work.
                        Most the time it is the most developed player vs best player. That's another reason the U16 needs to be added.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        Working...
                        X