Decent mile times women's college soccer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Played four years in college and never ran a mile. Always found a good excuse “sorry coach, shin splints are acting up again”

Really no need to measure yourself in a straight line running test as it’s irrelevant to the game

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      For soccer, a timed mike is useless. Better to time a 10k, 40 yard sprint, and as the prior poster said, a beep test. High School coaches who know absolutely nothing about soccer use timed miles (or 2 mile runs)... again useless in soccer amd not used at all in college.
      Actually all of fitness tests are useless in soccer. The purpose they serve is to ensure players come in shape fit and ready for preseason.

Comment

She should be building endurance for suicides, not mile runs

Comment

Played four years in college and never ran a mile. Always found a good excuse “sorry coach, shin splints are acting up again”

Really no need to measure yourself in a straight line running test as it’s irrelevant to the game

She should be building endurance for suicides, not mile runs

To the poster above.....the mile is not a straight line....however running around in 4 circles on a 1/4 mile track is not a greater measure of how good of a soccer player one is.
          Soccer players run sprints in multiple directions of varying differences. The Beep test is alright but ignores anything beyond a straight sprint to one cone and back to the other.

Speed, stamina, and endurance are great to have...but it still doesn't guarantee that your kid knows how to play soccer. I know plenty of fast kids who run a straight sprint to the ball and, because they have no touch and no sense of the game, they may just as well boot the ball out of bounds.

Since soccer is a team sport and a crisp accurate pass will advance the ball faster than a very fast soccer player.

That said, there is no reason why fitness and skill development should not occur together...but if I had to choose one or the other as a test...I would go with skill.

Comment

To the poster above.....the mile is not a straight line....however running around in 4 circles on a 1/4 mile track is not a greater measure of how good of a soccer player one is.
            Soccer players run sprints in multiple directions of varying differences. The Beep test is alright but ignores anything beyond a straight sprint to one cone and back to the other.

Speed, stamina, and endurance are great to have...but it still doesn't guarantee that your kid knows how to play soccer. I know plenty of fast kids who run a straight sprint to the ball and, because they have no touch and no sense of the game, they may just as well boot the ball out of bounds.

Since soccer is a team sport and a crisp accurate pass will advance the ball faster than a very fast soccer player.

That said, there is no reason why fitness and skill development should not occur together...but if I had to choose one or the other as a test...I would go with skill.

The beep test is a proxy for VO2 max, which is a proxy for fitness. 11v11 requires a high level of fitness to perform over 80-90 minutes. A fast 40 shows explosiveness in distances relevant to soccer, given most sprints in soccer are 10-40 yards. Teams need minimum standards for fitness and, being a competitive sport, should absolutely rank players by times for positions. All the skill in the world doesn't mean anything without the fitness and athleticism to run for the length of a match.

Comment

The beep test is a proxy for VO2 max, which is a proxy for fitness. 11v11 requires a high level of fitness to perform over 80-90 minutes. A fast 40 shows explosiveness in distances relevant to soccer, given most sprints in soccer are 10-40 yards. Teams need minimum standards for fitness and, being a competitive sport, should absolutely rank players by times for positions. All the skill in the world doesn't mean anything without the fitness and athleticism to run for the length of a match.

If you are running a race then 'all the skill in the world doesn't mean anything....'. However, if you are playing a 90 minute game of soccer then all the fitness in the world is meaningless without the skill to play the game.
              That said, my post clearly states that training should include both.

Comment

You need to have a level of fitness to play competitive soccer College, HS or club.
                While requiring a specific time for a mile may seem old school, it does provide the player an easy measuring stick for preparing for preseason. It also reduces the risk of injury.

When a player gets tired(winded) both their tactical and technical level drop. My biggest frustration of my sons club team is the lack of conditioning his teammates. Why spend the money for club if you can't move on the pitch for at least 20 minutes?

Comment

Running a mile in a set time does not prove soccer fitness

Comment

You need to have a level of fitness to play competitive soccer College, HS or club.
                    While requiring a specific time for a mile may seem old school, it does provide the player an easy measuring stick for preparing for preseason. It also reduces the risk of injury.

When a player gets tired(winded) both their tactical and technical level drop. My biggest frustration of my sons club team is the lack of conditioning his teammates. Why spend the money for club if you can't move on the pitch for at least 20 minutes?
                    Coaches get kids 2-3 days/week (hopefully 4 with DA but e know not all follow that). They're not going to spend valuable skill-training time to do fitness work. Players should be working on fitness on their own, but all know that isn't happening either. Players have to be self motivated and many are not. That's what happens when soccer is an activity, not a passion.

Comment

Sounds like you have slow kids

Comment

Sounds like you have slow kids

Sounds like you are a slow reader who understands little of what he/she reads.
                        Fine
                        Every soccer boy should be able to run a mile in under 6 minutes...preferrable under 5:30
                        More so, they should be able to run a half mile in under 2:20; a 1/4 mile under 60 seconds, and a 200 meter in under 28 second.

Maybe they should be able to run a 2 mile in under 11:00?
                        How about a 5K in under 17:00 or a 10K in under 38:00....afterall, the average soccer player runs 3+ miles per game.

Comment

Sounds like you are a slow reader who understands little of what he/she reads.
                          Fine
                          Every soccer boy should be able to run a mile in under 6 minutes...preferrable under 5:30
                          More so, they should be able to run a half mile in under 2:20; a 1/4 mile under 60 seconds, and a 200 meter in under 28 second.

Maybe they should be able to run a 2 mile in under 11:00?
                          How about a 5K in under 17:00 or a 10K in under 38:00....afterall, the average soccer player runs 3+ miles per game.
                          So the thread is "...times for women's college soccer" and your posts states that all should run under 5:30?

The fact that only 2-3 posts provide and credible information, illustrates one of two things about most TS posters. They are:
                          1. Incapable of reading comprehension or
                          2. Simply clueless

FWIW: There are a couple of D2 women's programs (one in NE and another in the SE) that have a mile time trial fitness test. They are looking for field players to hit 6:40 or better to make the team.

Comment

I've a rising HS junior who's looking to play in college. She's interested in knowing what the typical mile times are for d1, d2 and d3. Anyone have this info?
                            I figured this useless observation would die at less than 15 posts. One day in and we are approaching 30

And we wonder why our womens national team is falling behind other countries?

Comment

I figured this useless observation would die at less than 15 posts. One day in and we are approaching 30

And we wonder why our womens national team is falling behind other countries?
                              No one cares about the WNT other than to cheer them on. They care about their own children and helping them attain their goals.

Comment

Train 5-10k's for a strong cardio base, shorter distance sprints (<100m) and intervals for anerobic conditioning, strength training for lower body and core. I know college programs who use the beep test, 40's, 1/4 mile times and 2 mile times as fitness tests. None of those things are specific tonsoccer, just general fitness and athleticism. If you are fit, you will test well regardless. If you are not, you won't. Most programs don't rely on just one test, so don't get hung up on training for a specific test.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X