Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A D1 athlete’s perspective on recruiting

No great epiphany here, nor a horror show. Just one athlete’s perspective on being recruited

https://slate.com/human-interest/201...-programs.html

"...torturing myself with the idea that I might end up average one day. It was this fear that led me to commit to a school before I was ready."

That's the kid. You can multiply both the fear and desire coming from the parent by 100.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      "...torturing myself with the idea that I might end up average one day. It was this fear that led me to commit to a school before I was ready."

That's the kid. You can multiply both the fear and desire coming from the parent by 100.
      If a parent feels their kid isn't ready it's their job to say no. Instead it's more often what you describe - parents afraid their kid will miss out so they jump early. And now it's earlier and earlier. Soon enough they'll be committing who haven't even had their first periods yet.

Comment

Perhaps, but in this instance the kid xfer’d to an Ivy League school so there is/was much more at play than simple athletics

Comment

If a parent feels their kid isn't ready it's their job to say no. Instead it's more often what you describe - parents afraid their kid will miss out so they jump early. And now it's earlier and earlier. Soon enough they'll be committing who haven't even had their first periods yet.
          Just a quick question exactly how many of your own kids were in a position to commit early and you turned down the offers? Or might you just play such a parent on this website to push an agenda and have never had the actual opportunity you are so gallantly suggesting others turn down?

Comment

Just a quick question exactly how many of your own kids were in a position to commit early and you turned down the offers? Or might you just play such a parent on this website to push an agenda and have never had the actual opportunity you are so gallantly suggesting others turn down?
            Go ahead and do whatever the fuk you want but you're part of the problem. College coaches don't like early recruiting. But that fear of missing out is pushing it into idiotic territory. Families jump quick so coaches have to offer even quicker.

Comment

Go ahead and do whatever the fuk you want but you're part of the problem. College coaches don't like early recruiting. But that fear of missing out is pushing it into idiotic territory. Families jump quick so coaches have to offer even quicker.
              Knew it. You are nothing but an arm chair general who doesn’t know diddly about what is real. My bet is you’ve never even dealt with a real life recruiting situation. Here’s a clue... the money is real.. the opportunity is real. You might try walking in someone’s shoes before you start trying to give people advice. Before you start. I’ve had two kids play D1 soccer. The one that transferred made the decision going into their Senior year. The one that committed early didn’t. All comes down to the quality of the decision you help them put together. Has nothing to do with when the decision gets made and everything to do with targeting and fit. Experience is a huge factor in that so efforts like yours that shut down discussions because you don’t agree with something are the actual real problem.

Comment

Knew it. You are nothing but an arm chair general who doesn’t know diddly about what is real. My bet is you’ve never even dealt with a real life recruiting situation. Here’s a clue... the money is real.. the opportunity is real. You might try walking in someone’s shoes before you start trying to give people advice. Before you start. I’ve had two kids play D1 soccer. The one that transferred made the decision going into their Senior year. The one that committed early didn’t. All comes down to the quality of the decision you help them put together. Has nothing to do with when the decision gets made and everything to do with targeting and fit. Experience is a huge factor in that so efforts like yours that shut down discussions because you don’t agree with something are the actual real problem.
                Thanks for coming back around, BTNT.

Comment

Thanks for coming back around, BTNT.
                  Amusing how you are always here complaining about him. What do you add troll? Did you even have a kid who got recruited so you have something of actual value to add to the discussion or are you just so bitter that you didn't that you have to harp on those that did? Must be true, must suq to suq.

Comment

Amusing how you are always here complaining about him. What do you add troll? Did you even have a kid who got recruited so you have something of actual value to add to the discussion or are you just so bitter that you didn't that you have to harp on those that did? Must be true, must suq to suq.
                    How many more years of posting for you, BTNT? How is the low level job at the 6th tier detox going?

Comment

How many more years of posting for you, BTNT? How is the low level job at the 6th tier detox going?
                      What do you know, the psycho troll gets called out for not knowing squat about the things he posts and boom here we go again, it's Where's Waldo time. For once I'd like to read something resembling intelligence from the troll.

Comment

early recruiting is not confined to phenoms. It has stared to become about cost certainty as opposed to just talented kids who will get offers from many places.My kid had offers in 8th grade even though we made it very clear that we were not allowing her to even consider them.

For teh kids that are really coveted, there is no FOMO, its more a fear of other not perceiving them as elte unless they commit early

if you have been through it, you realize that when you commit very early( freshman or before) you are really just giving up opportunity for nothing. There is no obligation. you may as well continue to look around. There is nothing in writing and things do change over time.

Comment

early recruiting is not confined to phenoms. It has stared to become about cost certainty as opposed to just talented kids who will get offers from many places.My kid had offers in 8th grade even though we made it very clear that we were not allowing her to even consider them.

For teh kids that are really coveted, there is no FOMO, its more a fear of other not perceiving them as elte unless they commit early

if you have been through it, you realize that when you commit very early( freshman or before) you are really just giving up opportunity for nothing. There is no obligation. you may as well continue to look around. There is nothing in writing and things do change over time.
                          What is a FOMO?

Comment

What is a FOMO?
                            fear of missing out

Comment

What is a FOMO?
                              Fear Of Missing Out

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X