Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Realities of club soccer, would you do something different?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    If you are the OP, you clearly stated that your kid was not National Caliber. If that is the case you are taking an extremely big chance that he will develop more physically, talent wise and get noticed at one of the showcases where all the other top players will also be.

In the end it is your family and I wish you all the best. As for staying in DA, it should be possible as kids do come back on College break and play for the DA teams if they are still in the age bracket.
    thanks - i am the type of person that asks questions to get hypothetical answers, not to make immediate decisions. if he gets into say a michigan with his academics, forget soccer. if he gets into a lesser school (don't want to offend anyone by mentioning names) with his academics, but has a shot of getting into say UNC w/ combo soccer and academics if his soccer improves just a bit, then it may be worth it to pursue transfer for a greater goal. point is my kid is AHEAD a year academically, so I wanted to know what his soccer options could be given that he would have a year of DA eligibility remaining and even if he took an entire year off, he would just be even with lots of kids his age. he is also physically still growing. I am just about to start this process with him, so forgive me if these questions are ignorant.

Comment

thanks - i am the type of person that asks questions to get hypothetical answers, not to make immediate decisions. if he gets into say a michigan with his academics, forget soccer. if he gets into a lesser school (don't want to offend anyone by mentioning names) with his academics, but has a shot of getting into say UNC w/ combo soccer and academics if his soccer improves just a bit, then it may be worth it to pursue transfer for a greater goal. point is my kid is AHEAD a year academically, so I wanted to know what his soccer options could be given that he would have a year of DA eligibility remaining and even if he took an entire year off, he would just be even with lots of kids his age. he is also physically still growing. I am just about to start this process with him, so forgive me if these questions are ignorant.

Not ignorant at all since the rules change some every year. My sincere advice is to write USSDA. They will typically answer you within 10 business days. Once you get your answer, I would then talk to your club and get their honest assessment of your player and if they even have the desire to do what you are asking.

The DA age grouping have nothing to do with graduation dates as you know so there should be no reason why your son could not continue playing regardless of whether he is attending HS, CC, JC or a local University program assuming he is able to make the team.

Comment

Not ignorant at all since the rules change some every year. My sincere advice is to write USSDA. They will typically answer you within 10 business days. Once you get your answer, I would then talk to your club and get their honest assessment of your player and if they even have the desire to do what you are asking.

The DA age grouping have nothing to do with graduation dates as you know so there should be no reason why your son could not continue playing regardless of whether he is attending HS, CC, JC or a local University program assuming he is able to make the team.
        Exactly. DA only cares about age and attendance at DA practices and events, not where they are attending school.

Comment

Only anecdotal stories on TS. Many stories of DA players who come back from college on breaks so DA clubs may not care if the players are practicing full time or attending every game.

Comment

Exactly. DA only cares about age and attendance at DA practices and events, not where they are attending school.

Enroll and take college courses online from home. Make sure your kid will make the team next year though. Never any guarantees of that.

Comment

Enroll and take college courses online from home. Make sure your kid will make the team next year though. Never any guarantees of that.
              UF has a PACE online only program and Innovative Academy program where students only take classes in the spring and summer and have the fall off to do whatever they want. The only students we know who got admitted applied to UF through those. Could play DA full time in the fall and take no college classes.

Comment

Better bet is to do a PG year at a prep school. Many athletes do this, especially up north, in many sports. Not only does it give kids a chance to grow more physically but also to boost their grades. Boys are typically late bloomers and this gives them another year to marinate. Some of the nation's hottest soccer talent comes out of prep schools like South Kent and others and land on top college rosters. Yes prep school is expensive, but it's one year and there are many academic and financial need scholarships available.

Comment

Better bet is to do a PG year at a prep school. Many athletes do this, especially up north, in many sports. Not only does it give kids a chance to grow more physically but also to boost their grades. Boys are typically late bloomers and this gives them another year to marinate. Some of the nation's hottest soccer talent comes out of prep schools like South Kent and others and land on top college rosters. Yes prep school is expensive, but it's one year and there are many academic and financial need scholarships available.
                  athletic scholarship disguised as merit or need based

Comment

Not doing as much travel club soccer so the kid could earn a 3.5 GPA and have 100% of tuition covered under the Bright Futures award. Have a shot at getting admitted to college.
                    How about not spending all the money on travel soccer and instead putting the money into a Florida pre-pay tuition plan?

Comment

How about not spending all the money on travel soccer and instead putting the money into a Florida pre-pay tuition plan?
                      Yes the prepaid is a good option just in case your kid does not qualify for Bright Futures. Fortunately we got both and a merit scholarship too.

We did our part planning early with prepaid, but our kid really came through in the end and earned the money with their grades. Soccer was never more than a fun form of exercise.

Comment

Yes the prepaid is a good option just in case your kid does not qualify for Bright Futures. Fortunately we got both and a merit scholarship too.

We did our part planning early with prepaid, but our kid really came through in the end and earned the money with their grades. Soccer was never more than a fun form of exercise.
                        Most won’t be able to use full 100% tuition paid scholars Bright Futures award at UofF. Story after story of Florida students who aced the SAT or 1400/30&4.5 and did not get admitted. Thousands with the same stories. Have backup plans to attend elsewhere. Intramural soccer programs are excellent at D1 colleges.

Comment

If you have both, you're kid will end up with a surplus. We started FL prepay our kids were born and it has worked out nicely as we didn't quite understand the impact of books, athletic fees and the desire to live off campus as they got older.

Comment

If you have both, you're kid will end up with a surplus. We started FL prepay our kids were born and it has worked out nicely as we didn't quite understand the impact of books, athletic fees and the desire to live off campus as they got older.
                            The artificial intelligence of admissions computes who has prepaid and Bright Futures and blocks students because they are worth-less.

Comment

The artificial intelligence of admissions computes who has prepaid and Bright Futures and blocks students because they are worth-less.
                              Have a freshman and jr in already so your theory is off.

Comment

Have a freshman and jr in already so your theory is off.
                                A bubble Bright Futures student won’t get in before a bubble out of stater.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X