Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At what age should parents stop coaching from the sidelines?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    And by the way, training isn't always the best time to teach. Unless you have 22 kids on your team, you can't create an 11 vs. 11 environment until game time.

It is far easier to break the game down into pieces to teach than to try to simulate the situations 11 v 11. In a full size scrimage situation, you have to teach as you go depending on what comes up. Breaking the situation down to smaller parts allows you to be purposeful in your teaching. Chose the situation you want to teach and duplicate it multiple times. Sure, full size is always good to put it all together but it is less efficient for teaching each part.

Comment

I can't stand parents coaching from the sideline. How many times must some Mom yell "down the line" or "pressure". Every single play does not require a pass down the line. When there is an open player in the middle use space! If pressure is appropriate apply it. Listen to the coach who we pay! Just because Mom or Dad can't keep their mouth shut you don't have to listen to them kids! Play your game and have fun!

Comment

And miss a great visual cue learning opportunity? The coach has an opportunity to point out a facet of the game in real time, when it is all laid out. You want them to wait and then hope they can convey it to the kid later? Completely disagree.

During a game, as a coach, I can say. "See that gap right there? ...that's the kind of gap that can occur if you get too close to the sideline...You need to move over so that if that player gets the ball you can get there before they have time to get control of the ball".

They will see the situation, they will understand it, and they will remember it for next time.

I use this technique and my kids have beaten teams where the opposition may individually have better players (like on an older team), but my kids win because they understand the game and position themselves better while the game is in motion.

Agree that parents need to ease up on the coaching from the sidelines when the kids are older, but the coaches are there to coach during the games...not sit down and just watch.
        You sound like the parent the OP was writing about. And for remembering it next time, why do you have to say it over and over again? Obviously, your kids haven't remembered it, or they wouldn't still need you shouting play by play instructions at them when they are in the oldest bracket.

Comment

Is this what you hear coaches yelling from the sideline? It's not what I hear. Pointing out a situation where you are out of position is one thing. That's teaching. Giving your back some ideas on how to handle a forward while the ball is at the other end is teaching. Reinforcing good play is teaching. Constantly yelling instruction on what to do next is not teaching. For as long as we have been doint this, I have seen a couple, as in 2ish coaches who "coach" from the sideline. Most just shout instruction constantly.

So we probably agree more than it first seemed. What you describe is taking an opportunity to teach when the play has moved on. It is also important to be talking to the players on the bench, teaching. Most coaches ignore them and shout instructions to the field. From what I have seen anyway.
          Great second paragraph! Most coaches do nothing for the bench; in fact, they don't even tell them to stretch or warm up before the sub them in.

Comment

You sound like the parent the OP was writing about. And for remembering it next time, why do you have to say it over and over again? Obviously, your kids haven't remembered it, or they wouldn't still need you shouting play by play instructions at them when they are in the oldest bracket.
            You took what I said entirely out of context. I wasn't even writing about what parents are yelling. I was talking about the statement that the COACH who coaches from the sidelines does not add value with respect to education.

As a coach, my instructions from the sidelines are beneficial to the kids...especially those with special needs, like those with really poor reading comprehension. :)

Comment

Is this what you hear coaches yelling from the sideline? It's not what I hear. Pointing out a situation where you are out of position is one thing. That's teaching. Giving your back some ideas on how to handle a forward while the ball is at the other end is teaching. Reinforcing good play is teaching. Constantly yelling instruction on what to do next is not teaching. For as long as we have been doint this, I have seen a couple, as in 2ish coaches who "coach" from the sideline. Most just shout instruction constantly.

So we probably agree more than it first seemed. What you describe is taking an opportunity to teach when the play has moved on. It is also important to be talking to the players on the bench, teaching. Most coaches ignore them and shout instructions to the field. From what I have seen anyway.
              Fair enough. We could be saying the same thing here. I have showed kids things during a live game with good results, where they stop making a mistake they were constantly making previously. I think being a good coach has more to do with being a good teacher and keeping the kids motivated than anything else.

Comment

Same apply for school stop helping your kids in school let them fail on there own never ever help them no matter how much it might help do not help let your teachers do there job. You have to trust the educational instructions for a teacher and coach only never ever help your kid even after a game or practice say nothing let them sink !

Comment

Same applies in manners never ever correct them let them learn for them self they make mistakes who cares your there just to provide never ever how to behave kids need to learn everything on their own. You should never force religion on your child as well let them tell you they want to go to church. As it relates to manners I hate parents helping there child or correcting their child in public or at all they need to figure it out on there own what are you people thinking. From day one you should let your child do as they feel to express there dislike for you in public is fine they are just showing you there love!

Comment

Same applies in manners never ever correct them let them learn for them self they make mistakes who cares your there just to provide never ever how to behave kids need to learn everything on their own. You should never force religion on your child as well let them tell you they want to go to church. As it relates to manners I hate parents helping there child or correcting their child in public or at all they need to figure it out on there own what are you people thinking. From day one you should let your child do as they feel to express there dislike for you in public is fine they are just showing you there love!
                    I thought your post above this one was ok... you were obviously on a roll when you posted the second. stop already. in this second one you basically chose not to parent your kid. kids acting up in public or worse, expressing their (THEIR) dislike for you in public need parenting at that point. If firmly speaking to them doesn't work - this is what you do : you remove them from public and don't let them go out with you until they've learned to show respect! They can sit and sulk if they like, but verbally acting out? you have now disconnected with your kids and basically throwing your hands into the air. Now your child problems become those of everyone they interact with. You need to review what MANNERS and RESPECT are. You totally missed the boat with your second post.

Comment

This has been discussed many times on TS over the years. Some of my favorite resolutions that coaches use with daddy coaches:

Pull the player out of the game and have them go sit with the parent. That way they don't have to yell and confuse the rest of the team. They can have a nice civil discussion with their kid while everyone else plays.

Ajax has a "parents lounge" at the practice center. Free espresso, wireless and air-conditioned room which looks out on the practice field....from behind a think glass wall that is soundproof.

Give the parent their own team to coach.

Regardless of what tactic you use for a daddy coach, it is important you start every season with a parent meeting and go through the team rules. This is where the coach can talk about the 24-hour rule, sideline coaching, attendance and player behavior. Some clubs even have the parents and players sign a contract that puts these rules in writing so there is no confusion when their kid gets benched or daddy is asked to leave the fields.

Comment

Same apply for school stop helping your kids in school let them fail on there own never ever help them no matter how much it might help do not help let your teachers do there job. You have to trust the educational instructions for a teacher and coach only never ever help your kid even after a game or practice say nothing let them sink !
                        I agree with you 100%. Can't stand the helicopter parents. Failure is a major part of life. Stop doing your kids' homework. Stop screaming at them from the sidelines.

How did any of this ever become acceptable behavior???

Comment

When children are small, most parents will shout, "Run, run, run, kick the ball, etc.," and that seems innocent enough, but then the kids become older (U10-U12), and still a hand full of parents continue to shout strategies at their kids, and that, too, from a handful is tolerated. When kids start to get much older (U14-U16), we are left with a few loud-mouthed-know-it-all-parents that scream over the coach, scream at their own kids and other people's kids, and at that point, a lot of other parents get highly annoyed, and at times confront,'Hyena Mouth'!

However at age U17-U19, if a parent is still running up and down the sidelines shouting out every point of strategy, "Get into that space, make the run now, wait for it, look behind you cause #15 is coming, etc.," it becomes sad. The other parents are just quiet and feeling empathy towards the poor player.

Why can't there be a 'Player Marshal' that quietly takes parents aside, and respectfully discusses the harm that they are doing to their own children?
                          At what age should coaches stop saying unlucky... no it was just crappy. Be a better coach and you will win.

Comment

My daughter is a U17 with offers from both D2 and D3 schools. A few weeks ago they were playing against another team, and I saw a player run to her father to explain what was going on before heading back for the water break. Not a big deal? But she did it at least two more times and he was telling her what to do. All I can say is that I played soccer in multiple states traveling until I was 18, so I'm familar with the sport. For the life of me, I can't understand why a player, or a coach would allow that. As a coach, I might miss it the first time, but if that same player kept on coming late to the sidelines, I'd look to see what the holdup was. And if I caught that little exchange all the time, I'd read the player the riot act.

Since when is it OK for a parent to have player chats after all breaks? It really didn't help them out anyway, because her team lost 1-3. These kids are 16-17 years old. They don't needs mom or dad's advise in the game. If you want to coach at home, fine, but on the field? I was amazed. Whatever. Maybe it was dad's coaching that gave us the win?

Comment

Please stop coaching from the sideline your helping the team to much and the coach. Think of it this way let the coach fail and get booted he or she sucks anyway everyone be quite and watch the coach fail it is so laughable. You think the coach is not listening to you but he or she is thats how they coach lol ....... So if you just stay quite we can get rid of this dumb coach !

Comment

Maybe there are clubs where it is the coach with the problem.. but this kind of problem, a parent coaching from the sideline, is an extra problem given to the coach.. one they would not have if it weren't for the know-it-all parent. Even at the best clubs it happens. Dad needs to step back.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X