Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At what age should parents stop coaching from the sidelines?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet another thread started by the troll. Lame. The answer should be "The parent should never start coaching if they are NOT the coach of the team." Doesn't anyone have any legitmate questions to pose?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Yet another thread started by the troll. Lame. The answer should be "The parent should never start coaching if they are NOT the coach of the team." Doesn't anyone have any legitmate questions to pose?
      Most of the threads lately have been started by trolls! Or the moderators:(

Comment

On the other hand, I am enjoying my new position as the 4th referee. I do not know how they function without me.
        Classic

Comment

Hey, I'm the OP of this thread, so if you think its lame or have nothing to contribute, go, "Troll Police," someplace else!

But back to serious business! This parent has been around forever, and as hard as we try to get away, the parent is like a dark cloud on a Spring day! I just found out that their kid might be going to the same college as my kid 3 hours away! I can't take another 4 years of this; it will never end! This parent will be in their 80's in a diaper and a wheel chair screaming after their grand children or great grand children!

All I'm asking is there any 'Soccer Sideline Behavior Intervention'? If not, this could be a real money maker!

Comment

Hey, I'm the OP of this thread, so if you think its lame or have nothing to contribute, go, "Troll Police," someplace else!

But back to serious business! This parent has been around forever, and as hard as we try to get away, the parent is like a dark cloud on a Spring day! I just found out that their kid might be going to the same college as my kid 3 hours away! I can't take another 4 years of this; it will never end! This parent will be in their 80's in a diaper and a wheel chair screaming after their grand children or great grand children!

All I'm asking is there any 'Soccer Sideline Behavior Intervention'? If not, this could be a real money maker!
            Hey, I was the OP! steeling threads now, what will trolls do next!!!

Comment

When they find a good coach they can stop yelling. Why after 6 years of competitive soccer are kids still out of position? Answer, because the clubs and coaching having taught them Jack SS&&SHIATE about the game. Kick and run. Pathetic. Waste of money.

Or it could be that coaches are trying to coach and parents are undermining them by contiually coaching something different from the sideline. Either way it is obvious your coaching from the sideline isnt helping either? Otherwise they would clearly be in position.

Everybody is an expert.

Comment

Totally agree.....that or when u have a coach that seems to sit in silence or is soft spoken.

A coach shouldnt have to coach during a game. Sitting quiet would the sign of a good coach to me. If you teach the game you dont have to shout play by play instructions.

Comment

A coach shouldnt have to coach during a game. Sitting quiet would the sign of a good coach to me. If you teach the game you dont have to shout play by play instructions.
                  Confucius says....

Comment

seems like there's 2 types of coaches, the quiet ones and the screamers

Comment

Go to England then and let Jose know that he shouldn't be coaching his players any more, that he should sit quiet on the bench and let them play. I would bet that there are many that would tell you what a great coach he is, probably top 5 in the world and yet he still stands on the touch line and coaches his players. I would say that after coaching for the last 10 years that in training you aren't able to always emulate the game, so there is coaching that needs to be done during games to teach the tactics that you are trying to instill. Should you spend the 60 to 90 minutes coaching the team, no, but there are times when you need to be up letting the players know what you are wanting for tactics.

Comment

seems like there's 2 types of coaches, the quiet ones and the screamers
                        We have at least 16 coaches at Celtic per team

Comment

Go to England then and let Jose know that he shouldn't be coaching his players any more, that he should sit quiet on the bench and let them play. I would bet that there are many that would tell you what a great coach he is, probably top 5 in the world and yet he still stands on the touch line and coaches his players. I would say that after coaching for the last 10 years that in training you aren't able to always emulate the game, so there is coaching that needs to be done during games to teach the tactics that you are trying to instill. Should you spend the 60 to 90 minutes coaching the team, no, but there are times when you need to be up letting the players know what you are wanting for tactics.

So let me ask you a question. Do you honestly think that yelling out directions from the sideline does anything to teach a player? You can site that a famous coach screams from the sideline but do you think that is teaching his players anything? The answer is no. It may be the way he does it but it and it may make him feel better but he isnt teaching anything. I'm not saying there is never a time to yell out something or to get a players attention but the constant shouting of move by move instruction that I see on youth soccer sidelines is honestly silly.

It is far better to teach them to think for themselves. If they make a mistake, walk them through the situation the next time they come off. Training is exactly where you run through situations. You dont have to emulate the game exactly but break down pieces of the game and create a muscle/mental memory. I think we get so worried that we might lose a game we yell from the sideline trying to make sure we win. I think we should be making sure we teach.

Comment

So let me ask you a question. Do you honestly think that yelling out directions from the sideline does anything to teach a player? You can site that a famous coach screams from the sideline but do you think that is teaching his players anything? The answer is no. It may be the way he does it but it and it may make him feel better but he isnt teaching anything. I'm not saying there is never a time to yell out something or to get a players attention but the constant shouting of move by move instruction that I see on youth soccer sidelines is honestly silly.

It is far better to teach them to think for themselves. If they make a mistake, walk them through the situation the next time they come off. Training is exactly where you run through situations. You dont have to emulate the game exactly but break down pieces of the game and create a muscle/mental memory. I think we get so worried that we might lose a game we yell from the sideline trying to make sure we win. I think we should be making sure we teach.
                            And miss a great visual cue learning opportunity? The coach has an opportunity to point out a facet of the game in real time, when it is all laid out. You want them to wait and then hope they can convey it to the kid later? Completely disagree.

During a game, as a coach, I can say. "See that gap right there? ...that's the kind of gap that can occur if you get too close to the sideline...You need to move over so that if that player gets the ball you can get there before they have time to get control of the ball".

They will see the situation, they will understand it, and they will remember it for next time.

I use this technique and my kids have beaten teams where the opposition may individually have better players (like on an older team), but my kids win because they understand the game and position themselves better while the game is in motion.

Agree that parents need to ease up on the coaching from the sidelines when the kids are older, but the coaches are there to coach during the games...not sit down and just watch.

Comment

And by the way, training isn't always the best time to teach. Unless you have 22 kids on your team, you can't create an 11 vs. 11 environment until game time.

Comment

And miss a great visual cue learning opportunity? The coach has an opportunity to point out a facet of the game in real time, when it is all laid out. You want them to wait and then hope they can convey it to the kid later? Completely disagree.

During a game, as a coach, I can say. "See that gap right there? ...that's the kind of gap that can occur if you get too close to the sideline...You need to move over so that if that player gets the ball you can get there before they have time to get control of the ball".

Is this what you hear coaches yelling from the sideline? It's not what I hear. Pointing out a situation where you are out of position is one thing. That's teaching. Giving your back some ideas on how to handle a forward while the ball is at the other end is teaching. Reinforcing good play is teaching. Constantly yelling instruction on what to do next is not teaching. For as long as we have been doint this, I have seen a couple, as in 2ish coaches who "coach" from the sideline. Most just shout instruction constantly.

So we probably agree more than it first seemed. What you describe is taking an opportunity to teach when the play has moved on. It is also important to be talking to the players on the bench, teaching. Most coaches ignore them and shout instructions to the field. From what I have seen anyway.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X