Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At what age should parents stop coaching from the sidelines?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At what age should parents stop coaching from the sidelines?

When children are small, most parents will shout, "Run, run, run, kick the ball, etc.," and that seems innocent enough, but then the kids become older (U10-U12), and still a hand full of parents continue to shout strategies at their kids, and that, too, from a handful is tolerated. When kids start to get much older (U14-U16), we are left with a few loud-mouthed-know-it-all-parents that scream over the coach, scream at their own kids and other people's kids, and at that point, a lot of other parents get highly annoyed, and at times confront,'Hyena Mouth'!

However at age U17-U19, if a parent is still running up and down the sidelines shouting out every point of strategy, "Get into that space, make the run now, wait for it, look behind you cause #15 is coming, etc.," it becomes sad. The other parents are just quiet and feeling empathy towards the poor player.

Why can't there be a 'Player Marshal' that quietly takes parents aside, and respectfully discusses the harm that they are doing to their own children?

I think parents should limit their interaction to two hours of viewing game film with their child. Then they should set out a strategy to give their child the best chance of scoring. It helps if you bribe them with cash. This will overcome the coach's desire that they "play their position". At the game you can then be quiet if all of the preparation is done.

Comment

I would say at 4 years old

Comment

Coaches have their favorite players, and tend to ignore others. It is usually the parent of the ignored player who does the most sideline coaching.

Easiest way to quiet those parents is for the coach to stop focusing on just his superstars, and coach everybody equally.

Comment

This discussion is blasphemous according to all Real Madrid parents! How is little Jorge supposed to know what to do without Jorge Sr barking instructions at him? And this behavior continues to the final years of club soccer!

Comment

"I will never stop coaching my daughter, she's my daughter not yours!'

Signed

Obnoxious Foreign parent from OCYS U15 ECNL Girls

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

Signed

Obnoxious Foreign parent from OCYS U15 ECNL Girls

Signed

The dumbass american parent that thinks he/she knows:)

Comment

Response

Signed

The dumbass american parent that thinks he/she knows:)
                She's your daughter, but she's MY player, stop coaching

signed

The Only Coach

Comment

Coaches gonna coach coach coach
                  Parents gonna pay pay pay

Let them coach, let them coach!

Comment

NEVER!!!

When my son makes pro for Man United I will be sitting in the front row at Old Trafford yelling instructions and telling him how to play.

"Don't pass to Rooney, he sux"

"Don't play it back to Degea, he has bricks for feet, go forward"

" Play Van Persie, he's open"

My son will look to the stands after each time he touches the ball to see if I approve.

That is a true soccer parent. A life long love of coaching from the sidelines/stands.

Comment

I stopped coaching when I turned 43.

It was also the same year that I went from paying $120 for rec to $1200 for select.

You are paying handsomely for that coach on the other side of the field, if you feel compelled to do his job, then you must also feel that he is not doing his job.

On the other hand, I am enjoying my new position as the 4th referee. I do not know how they function without me.

Comment

Parents, "Just be quiet"

Lets get back to the question"At what age should parents stop coaching from the sidelines?"

This answer is simple...as soon as there is a coach, the parents should not coach from the sideline. It confuses the kids. Most of the time parents contradict what the coach is saying or trying to do. Just cheer the kids on. DONT say "kick it or boot it". those words mean nothing is soccer. "Pass, dribble, and shoot".

Parents, "Just be quiet!!!!!"

Comment

When children are small, most parents will shout, "Run, run, run, kick the ball, etc.," and that seems innocent enough, but then the kids become older (U10-U12), and still a hand full of parents continue to shout strategies at their kids, and that, too, from a handful is tolerated. When kids start to get much older (U14-U16), we are left with a few loud-mouthed-know-it-all-parents that scream over the coach, scream at their own kids and other people's kids, and at that point, a lot of other parents get highly annoyed, and at times confront,'Hyena Mouth'!

However at age U17-U19, if a parent is still running up and down the sidelines shouting out every point of strategy, "Get into that space, make the run now, wait for it, look behind you cause #15 is coming, etc.," it becomes sad. The other parents are just quiet and feeling empathy towards the poor player.

Why can't there be a 'Player Marshal' that quietly takes parents aside, and respectfully discusses the harm that they are doing to their own children?
                          When they find a good coach they can stop yelling. Why after 6 years of competitive soccer are kids still out of position? Answer, because the clubs and coaching having taught them Jack SS&&SHIATE about the game. Kick and run. Pathetic. Waste of money.

Comment

I think when the parent is 55 then they are too old and the game has passed them by

Comment

When they find a good coach they can stop yelling. Why after 6 years of competitive soccer are kids still out of position? Answer, because the clubs and coaching having taught them Jack SS&&SHIATE about the game. Kick and run. Pathetic. Waste of money.
                              Totally agree.....that or when u have a coach that seems to sit in silence or is soft spoken.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X