The Beckham Watch

This ought to flush 4-4-2/Onion Bag and Mr. Stats/JAD out of the woods. :D

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... 09&cc=5901

Updated: May 26, 2007

Beckham handed England recall

also

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... 23&cc=5901

Updated: May 28, 2007

David Beckham will continue to excel for England even after he moves to Los Angeles Galaxy, according to Real Madrid team-mate Ruud van Nistelrooy.

Galaxy coach Alexi Lalas has given a lukewarm reception to the news of Beckham's recall to the England squad, prompting forecasts of a club versus country row when the 32-year-old moves to California.

But Van Nistelrooy admitted he would like Beckham to stay at Madrid and backed the former England captain to make his return to international football last beyond this month's matches against Brazil and Estonia.

The Dutchman the Daily Mirror: 'When Beckham was dropped by England and then dropped by Madrid too, other players would have said, 'This is it for me.'

'But he didn't do that. He said 'no' and he turned things around. He is as good now as he has ever been.

'I think he can still play for England even after he has moved to the States. He could continue at this level for a lot of years and I'm not sure if we can change that now by getting him to stay.'

And it's not just team-mates singling out the 32-year-old for praise, according to the Deportivo La Coruna goalkeeper Dudu Aouate Beckham was the driving force behind Real Madrid's 3-1 win over the Galician side on Saturday.

Although he failed to get on the scoresheet, Beckham played a key role in Madrid's first two goals, which were scored by Sergio Ramos and Raul, while he also struck the post with a superb 20-yard effort in the second half.

The 32-year-old, who earlier on Saturday had been recalled to the England squad for the first time since last year's World Cup, has been earning rave reviews for his performances of late, and Aouate has subscribed to the fan club.

'Beckham changed everything,' said the 29-year-old, who kept a clean sheet for Israel in March's Euro 2008 qualifying draw against a Beckham-less England.

'He was involved in all the actions which decided the game, whenever they created any danger against us.

'Beckham put crosses in with both feet, took free-kicks, corners, shots, led counter-attacks, and infected the rest with his energy,' added Aouate in El Pais.

Although most Primera Liga goalkeepers will not have to worry about Beckham for much longer due to his impending move to the United States, Aouate could still come up against the former Manchester United man at least one more time.

Israel must face England in their return Euro 2008 qualifier in September and Beckham, having forced his way back into Steve McClaren's squad for next month's internationals against Brazil and Estonia, could be involved.
    Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

FIFA weighs in

http://sports.yahoo.com/mls/news?slu...v=st&type=lgns
    Light travels faster than sound; this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Comment

Sorry to distract everyone from the MPS v MAPLE debate, and updates from Amherst, but I find the following rather funny considering the comments on Beckham being "washed up". Beckham set up John Terry for England's goal in the 1-1 draw with Brazil at Wembley on Friday.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... 69&cc=5901

Updated: June 3, 2007
      Hoddle: Becks can be England star until he's 39

Former England manager Glenn Hoddle insists United States-bound David Beckham is capable of playing for up to six more years at the highest level after his successful return to Steve McClaren's England squad.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... 87&cc=5901

Updated: June 3, 2007
      Robinho: Becks is key to Real's success

Real Madrid star Robinho admits David Beckham's new-found form has been crucial to the Spanish club`s drive for the Primera Liga title.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... 51&cc=5901

Updated: June 1, 2007
      Terry, McClaren have high praise for Becks

John Terry described David Beckham's set-piece wizardry as 'different class' after the Real Madrid man laid on the goal for his successor as England captain in a 1-1 friendly draw against Brazil.

Comment

Truly was an amazing set ball. Perfect in every sense.
        Light travels faster than sound; this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Comment

Perhaps he'll have no effect

http://www.sportnews-online.com/2007...h-galaxy-deal/

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous
            He's looked great ever since he was benched at Real. A credit to him for keeping quiet and just working as hard as he could. He looked better for England against Brazil than he did for the last year and a half he played for them.

But one has to wonder if any player at any age would be effective after a 12 hour flight from LA to London, and I'm sure the England coach would have to consider the effects this flight time would have on a player when they only have them for a short period of time. And how happy are the Galaxy going to be if he has to play a day or two after flying all the way back?

I don't get the sense that Beckham is the type to back out of a deal, so it will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Comment

A $250 million dollar paycheck for playing the game you live must be a nice decision to have second thoughts about!!!!

Comment

A $250 million dollar paycheck for playing the game you live must be a nice decision to have second thoughts about!!!!
                "playing the game you live " Freudian slip, should read "playing the game you love...."

Comment

maybe mls should get in line with the rest of the world and take the same days off as all other national leagues does to allow players to attend national team camps with sufficient travel back and forth, instead of running league games same days as the national team plays. that way beckham could easily go to the national team plus play the galaxy games.

Comment

How does Beckham's comments “I hope playing in America for LA Galaxy will not have any adverse effect on my chances of playing for England. I’ll fly the world to play for my country. I don’t want to be here just for the Estonia game. I hope I’m here for the duration." get translated into these headlines: David Beckham fears he has made a huge mistake with Galaxy deal?

Comment

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... 32&cc=5901

Updated: June 7, 2007
                      Lampard: MLS won't harm Beckham game

Frank Lampard believes David Beckham can play a massive part for England next season even though he is shortly heading to the United States to play for Los Angeles Galaxy.

Beckham continued his successful return to the international scene by setting up goals for Peter Crouch and Michael Owen in a 3-0 win over Estonia in a Euro 2008 qualifier.

There are big question marks over whether playing in America will enable Beckham to retain the sharpness needed to perform at his best for his country - but Lampard has no doubts.

The Chelsea midfielder said: 'I think Becks will still have something to offer England next season.

'When he is plays like he is playing at the moment, it doesn't matter where he is playing in the world.

'If he was only playing in the park with his mates, I'd still have him in the England squad because when he delivers balls like against Brazil and Estonia, they make goals and that is vital.'

However, Lampard insisted: 'Our revival is not just down to David Beckham. He has done very well and made three goals with fantastic deliveries but it's not just down to David.

'It is a team game. He helps that and he has come in with a great attitude. There has been none of the 'I'm the big hero returning' from David but a lot of people have played their part.'

Beckham has intimated he wants to continue performing for his country for a lengthy period including the Euro 2008 finals - if England qualify.

He said: 'Everyone knows I love playing football so I wasn't nervous going into the game but I've enjoyed this last couple of weeks.

'England are undefeated since you came back? It's only two games. We will wait and see. Hopefully it continues but I've enjoyed this last couple of weeks.

'Can you continue right through to the European Championships? Yes, I believe I can carry on for a long time. I'm sure LA Galaxy will do everything possible to help me play for my country and I'll definitely be here.

'I believe I can play for many, many years but we will have to wait and see, A lot of things change in football but I believe I can play for many, many years.'

Comment

The soap opera continues. :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 739101.stm

Sunday, 10 June 2007

Real chief wants Beckham to stay

Real Madrid president Ramon Calderon has hinted there is a clause in the England midfielder's contract which could allow them to keep him.
                        Calderon was reported by Marca newspaper as saying: " "We need to sit down with Beckham, his representatives and with (Real sporting director Predrag) Mijatovic, look at this clause, and decide between us.

"But for me I would be delighted if he remained at the club."

Real reacted sharply to Beckham's rejection of their contract offer in January.

Coach Fabio Capello said Beckham would never play for the first-team again.

Calderon was even more scathing, branding Beckham: "an average cinema actor living in Hollywood," comments which prompted Real's players to throw their backing behind the England midfielder.

Comment

Interesting...

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/20...?footballhappy

Comment

Beckham finishes his European career with a Spanish Primera Championship.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... 26&cc=5901

Updated: June 18, 2007
                            Real win 30th title in heart-stopping finale

Comment

Originally posted by FSM
                              Beckham finishes his European career with a Spanish Primera Championship.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... 26&cc=5901

Updated: June 18, 2007
                              Real win 30th title in heart-stopping finale
                              I am glad Beckham is coming. Almost as exciting as when Pele came to NY.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X