Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coaches and Parents

Just curious what type of relationship coaches should have with parents at the premier level? Should they have close friendships, such as hanging out at tournaments (more then team dinner)? Should they be facebook friends? Does this change thing when it comes to tryouts and Suzie maybe cut? How about the new parents on the team and their interpretation of the friendships? How is it with the elite teams? In the past the coaches seem to keep a little distance. I think it made a better team then the coach who tries to be friends and make everyone happy.

I am a town coach and I want the parents to get more involved. Most of them disappear after dropping off the kids. If the parents are not excited about soccer, hardly the kid will be passionate about soccer. And passion is what keeps the kids working on it.

I want the sidelines to be more noisy. Soccer is about fun, not sit tight and watch quietly. No arguments with ref calls though.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      I am a town coach and I want the parents to get more involved. Most of them disappear after dropping off the kids. If the parents are not excited about soccer, hardly the kid will be passionate about soccer. And passion is what keeps the kids working on it.

I want the sidelines to be more noisy. Soccer is about fun, not sit tight and watch quietly. No arguments with ref calls though.
      I agree town should be fun. But when they are U-16 above they don't want the parents at the practice. Coaches should be that tight with parents.

Comment

6a8n62

I agree town should be fun. But when they are U-16 above they don't want the parents at the practice. Coaches should be that tight with parents.
        Sorry, I meant coaches should not be that tight with parents at a higher level.

Comment

Sorry, I meant coaches should not be that tight with parents at a higher level.
          coaches should never be tight with the parents. your there to coach and not play favorites.your there to win games.winning games,winning tournaments,winning statecups brings players. bottom line. keep your distance and just coach and do whats best for the team.

Comment

coaches should never be tight with the parents. your there to coach and not play favorites.your there to win games.winning games,winning tournaments,winning statecups brings players. bottom line. keep your distance and just coach and do whats best for the team.
            That doesn't work for the coach who wants his beer paid for. It is not rite when the coach meets a parent on the team for drinks regularly even if their not away at a tournament. Big surprise that the kid plays a lot.

Comment

That doesn't work for the coach who wants his beer paid for. It is not rite when the coach meets a parent on the team for drinks regularly even if their not away at a tournament. Big surprise that the kid plays a lot.
              probably having an affair with her. a lot of that going on

Comment

No it is not a mom. That is a whole other level that this team does not need.

Comment

Coaches have favorite families and thats one thing. But to go over the top friendly with one or two and exclude the others is not right. Great for team chemistry- not!

Comment

If Mom is hot, I'd hire her as my assistant coach. I would then call it a coaching relationship not an affair.

Comment

Just curious what type of relationship coaches should have with parents at the premier level? Should they have close friendships, such as hanging out at tournaments (more then team dinner)? Should they be facebook friends? Does this change thing when it comes to tryouts and Suzie maybe cut? How about the new parents on the team and their interpretation of the friendships? How is it with the elite teams? In the past the coaches seem to keep a little distance. I think it made a better team then the coach who tries to be friends and make everyone happy.
                      One coach famous for favoritism and well known for expecting free drinks and upgraded hotel rooms, etc. is actually working on commission for a family of a player he coaches. And he was so clueless tor how it looked that he sent a sales email to all his contacts within the club.

I wouldn't recommend this approach - it just po'd lots of people and made him either look like an idiot.

Comment

One coach famous for favoritism and well known for expecting free drinks and upgraded hotel rooms, etc. is actually working on commission for a family of a player he coaches. And he was so clueless tor how it looked that he sent a sales email to all his contacts within the club.

I wouldn't recommend this approach - it just po'd lots of people and made him either look like an idiot.
                        How about a coach who coaches young girls and posts them all over his myspace page in a slideshow and vacations with team parents. The vacationing with the parents doesn't bother me as much as posting photos of young players without their knowing about it.

Comment

How about a coach who coaches young girls and posts them all over his myspace page in a slideshow and vacations with team parents. The vacationing with the parents doesn't bother me as much as posting photos of young players without their knowing about it.
                          Yikes! I assume that these are "appropriate" pictures and don't have names, but you are right, he/she should have permission.

Comment

Yikes! I assume that these are "appropriate" pictures and don't have names, but you are right, he/she should have permission.
                            It was likely to make himself look like a great catch to women, but he ended up looking more like a pedophile. One of them showed him shirtless with his arm around a young player. Now that he is married and has his own child, I doubt he posts those pictures anymore, but if he were coaching my kid I would want to see his Facebook page to be sure.

Comment

Hope some of you folks are lawyered up with the kinds of posts you're making (on both sides).

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X