Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coaches vs. parents

I just wanted to throw this out there to see if I'm crazy or if I'm right. My daughter played in the state cup this weekend. The night before, the coach called for a players only meeting with the coach. There has been drama with the team being raided by the A team at the deadline of roster freeze. They took all of the goal scorers off the team and took them on the A team. In the meeting, the head coach told the girls to not listen to their parents in regards to the team and their prospects at state cup. Am I crazy for being angry that the caoch said to the girls to "NOT LISTEN TO THEIR PARENTs"? I mean you can put that in any context or fill in thE blank with anything and it seems pretty disturbing that a coach would say that. I'm thinking of pulling my kid from the team because of this. It's hard enough to raise a teenager, but to have your kids soccer coach to telll them to not listen to their parents? It seems hard to get over this comment. What do you think?

The coach is right. Kids should listen to the coach not the parent when it comes to the soccer team

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      The coach is right. Kids should listen to the coach not the parent when it comes to the soccer team
      assuming the parents are bitching up a storm because a few kids have been raided from the team and putting doubt in the players minds then the coach has every right to tell the kids to ignore the negative vibe.

Comment

Coach is right. Parents are the ones that create the drama. If you are freaking out over the coach saying this, you are probably part of the problem.

Comment

I have to agree with the others. If some parents are stirring up crap, the coach has every right to tell his players not to listen to the parents when it comes to the soccer team. Helicopter parents are the worst!!!

Comment

Coach is right. Parents are the ones that create the drama. If you are freaking out over the coach saying this, you are probably part of the problem.
            True, but they shouldn't pull all the top players off the B team to the A team, for state cup. Develop the A team players that are not contributing, after all they are on the A team.

Comment

Wow....I consider you one lucky parent...when ever I ask my kid what the coach said, all I ever get is "I don't remember, just a bunch of stuff".

Comment

True, but they shouldn't pull all the top players off the B team to the A team, for state cup. Develop the A team players that are not contributing, after all they are on the A team.
                The players play for a club, not a team. Maybe the feeling of providing those players on the "B" team the opportunity to play at a higher level is of greater importance in their long term development. There may be a variety of reasons as the club and coaches have a responsibility to the entire club and players not individual, perceived teams.

Comment

Oh, ok if you say so . Then we can all put on our sweater in Mr. Rogers neighborhood .

Comment

The players play for a club, not a team. Maybe the feeling of providing those players on the "B" team the opportunity to play at a higher level is of greater importance in their long term development. There may be a variety of reasons as the club and coaches have a responsibility to the entire club and players not individual, perceived teams.
                    Makes sense if the expectations are discussed at the beginning of the season.

Comment

Wow....I consider you one lucky parent...when ever I ask my kid what the coach said, all I ever get is "I don't remember, just a bunch of stuff".
                      that's funny!

Comment

Originally posted by noles1 View Post
                        I just wanted to throw this out there to see if I'm crazy or if I'm right. My daughter played in the state cup this weekend. The night before, the coach called for a players only meeting with the coach. There has been drama with the team being raided by the A team at the deadline of roster freeze. They took all of the goal scorers off the team and took them on the A team. In the meeting, the head coach told the girls to not listen to their parents in regards to the team and their prospects at state cup. Am I crazy for being angry that the caoch said to the girls to "NOT LISTEN TO THEIR PARENTs"? I mean you can put that in any context or fill in thE blank with anything and it seems pretty disturbing that a coach would say that. I'm thinking of pulling my kid from the team because of this. It's hard enough to raise a teenager, but to have your kids soccer coach to telll them to not listen to their parents? It seems hard to get over this comment. What do you think?
                        "NOT LISTEN TO THEIR PARENTS"...about what?

Substance abuse, sexual activity or soccer?

Do you feel threatened that the coach is undermining your parenting?

Too often parents undermine coaching.

Comment

Listen too much emphasis on competition. These games should not even keep score and sc should be a celebration / jamboree at years end. Get over yourselves its rec soccer.

Comment

I agree with the majority here...the players should listen to the coach and only the coach when it pertains to soccer. Unless you were a college/pro soccer player or certified ref you probably don't even know what offsides is! So many parents embarrass themselves at games by yelling incorrect information. No wonder the coach has asked his players not to listen to their parents.

Comment

No clue

These parents that have commented don't have a single clue as to what has happened. I hope it doesn’t happen to your family/player because someone will come from PC or Tampa, or Atlanta to replace your “star” so just remember it’s about the club, not your kid. The reason for the comment from the coach is because it makes him sleep better at night. The Royal team got “Royally Screwed” all the way around. There are ways to develop players and still provide the club with highest level of competitive teams within the same age group. The training for the B team is mediocre at best when the training and coaching should be at its highest level because that is what the parents pay for and that is what the parents were told it would be at the beginning of the season. You can’t look for excuses not to train. You have to train to the highest level and let the chips fall where they may. The kids are not stupid, they understand what is going on and it has nothing to do with the parents. If you haven’t walked a mile in the shoes of a player or parent on this team you my friend, you have no clue what you are talking about.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X