Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soccer being the most American sport

What do you guys think about this article?

http://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/su...ce#commentsDiv

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

Stupid article...even stupider ( is that a word) to think the top players will come to the US...Nobody wants to ravel through three time zones to play a league match... Said it once and say it again... this country needs to be divided into two nations for soccer...US West and US East..

Comment

Stupid article...even stupider ( is that a word) to think the top players will come to the US...Nobody wants to ravel through three time zones to play a league match... Said it once and say it again... this country needs to be divided into two nations for soccer...US West and US East..
      That wasn't even the point of the article. Did you even read the article?

Comment

It sure was interesting to read. It's a different perspective but the approach was good. He didn't really hate on American football at all. He just called out the logistics and lagging rules of American football and most of his points I agree with.

Comment

Great article and it confirmed why I, who grew up with football, enjoy watching soccer more than football. Soccer is free thinking and free roaming and does fit with America's values.

Comment

Great article and it confirmed why I, who grew up with football, enjoy watching soccer more than football. Soccer is free thinking and free roaming and does fit with America's values.
            Soccer does fit a lot more with America's values than American football. Everything about American football seems very mechanic and strict. Everything has to be a certain way and if it isn't, then you're not playing the game correctly. Everything from the rules to all the technicalities, it isn't fun to watch at least.

The little bit about TCU being able to play because a few people didn't think they qualified is precisely why I think American football is rigged.

Comment

European Football > American Football

Comment

Football has stifling rules. The history of its fine tuning was during Industrial Revolution, instilling in lay workers the ideals of conforming and complying. "NFL games consist of only about 11 minutes of actual action. (The other three hours consist of the central planners issuing orders to the mindless automatons, the authorities inserting themselves into the proceedings, and commercials for fast food and Big Pharma.) That comes to a penalty just about every minute of action"

Comment

Football has stifling rules. The history of its fine tuning was during Industrial Revolution, instilling in lay workers the ideals of conforming and complying. "NFL games consist of only about 11 minutes of actual action. (The other three hours consist of the central planners issuing orders to the mindless automatons, the authorities inserting themselves into the proceedings, and commercials for fast food and Big Pharma.) That comes to a penalty just about every minute of action"
                  boring.

Comment

boring.
                    American football is boring and brainless.
                    "the entire offense stands up and turns toward the sideline for last-second instructions, like a colony of prairie dogs or Victory Day marchers in Red Square."

Comment

American football is boring and brainless.
                      "the entire offense stands up and turns toward the sideline for last-second instructions, like a colony of prairie dogs or Victory Day marchers in Red Square."
                      I liked that one from the article.

Comment

I think a bigger topic would be, "Will Europeans and South Americans embrace Americans as part of the soccer community"? ... We can argue Football vs Soccer. We can argure soccer's growing popularity in the USA.. The USA does not have the world's respect in the world's game.. I'm American, I love football. I'm becoming a soccer fan. I don't think I will ever like soccer more than football but my children might..Many of you talk bad about football. Think we are dumb and mindless players. You think there is only 11 minutes of action. I will say this. learning a playbook and terminolgy is similar to learning a foriegn language. Playing with torn muscles and broken bones is not uncommon and unspokenly expected. As far as the 11 minutes of action, Just because a Soccer ball keeps moving doesn't mean all the players are. When the football is in play so are all 22 players on the field.

Comment

Biggest difference between Soccer & Football....Women play soccer too.. Now keep telling Americans why soccer is so much better.

Comment

Biggest difference between Soccer & Football....Women play soccer too.. Now keep telling Americans why soccer is so much better.
                            You have a good point!

Comment

I think a bigger topic would be, "Will Europeans and South Americans embrace Americans as part of the soccer community"? ... We can argue Football vs Soccer. We can argure soccer's growing popularity in the USA.. The USA does not have the world's respect in the world's game.. I'm American, I love football. I'm becoming a soccer fan. I don't think I will ever like soccer more than football but my children might..Many of you talk bad about football. Think we are dumb and mindless players. You think there is only 11 minutes of action. I will say this. learning a playbook and terminolgy is similar to learning a foriegn language. Playing with torn muscles and broken bones is not uncommon and unspokenly expected. As far as the 11 minutes of action, Just because a Soccer ball keeps moving doesn't mean all the players are. When the football is in play so are all 22 players on the field.
                              Slowly but surely I bet American's international soccer reputation will increase with time.
                              But first I think we need top stop calling the sport "soccer." lol

All the English people I've over at my time in the UK always make fun of the word "soccer." Now, I completely hate the word and I'm glad most D1 soccer coaches in America refer to the sport as "football." Soccer just sounds so stupid now that I realize it. Football is what it is called in every other country.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X