Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad Refs this year (isolated or epidemic)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Refs this year (isolated or epidemic)

I think our team has received more than our respective portion of horrible referring this year. Is it just my experience or is everyone feeling it. I am not a complainer of refs determining the outcome of our games as I know quite well our team has more than a few issues, but the bad calls going both ways have been off the charts horrible. Is it ref training, not enough refs, no hiring criteria, no performance evaluation, no accountability, or just too young and or inexperience

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I think our team has received more than our respective portion of horrible referring this year. Is it just my experience or is everyone feeling it. I am not a complainer of refs determining the outcome of our games as I know quite well our team has more than a few issues, but the bad calls going both ways have been off the charts horrible. Is it ref training, not enough refs, no hiring criteria, no performance evaluation, no accountability, or just too young and or inexperience
    We haven't done this troll in a while...

#1 what is your win/loss record this year and what was it last year?
    #2 seriously what do you expect for $20 a game? They take an online class and then go out and do the games. Who's going to pay for all the training and other stuff you want?

Comment

It is mostly a problem on "away" games, I find.

Comment

#2 seriously what do you expect for $20 a game? They take an online class and then go out and do the games. Who's going to pay for all the training and other stuff you want?
        Ok, everyone you get what 20.00 pays for! Don't expect anything more! I'm fine with that!

Comment

Youth refs are what they are....fallible inexperience parents trying to be call a good game. Rarely have I seen refs that intend to cheat (except at Osceola).

Once you understand that your frustration level will ease.

Think for a moment about the referring at the WORLD CUP in Brazil. A travesty (especially when Brazil played) and those are the worlds BEST referees. The game is simply not designed for perfect refereeing.

Don't you feel better now?

Comment

Refs were bad at FCA Preseason. It was so bad that it was almost nice to see a parent actually tell one of them F--K U to his face LOL!

Comment

yep. had one or two games where i went crazy parent insane for what i believed were horrible ref calls, but for most part thought that it has been decent enough for my son's younger age group, or at least called the same both ways.

Comment

The Referee Club

Reminds me of the many names and faces of refereeing- Willie Whistle, Silent Sam, Napoleon Nick, and Great-Effort-Grandpa!

They all have a name and face, and when you finally settle down, and find the humor, you'll live longer! Its a game, and only a game, and no one's life will depend on the game (no matter what- hoping to be college player, pro player, girl getter, etc).

Until the system changes (more pay and better training = higher fees to you), chances are that Willie will have the whistle glued to his lips, or frigging Sam will have left his violation cards in the car again.

Comment

Originally posted by unregistered View Post
                  i think our team has received more than our respective portion of horrible referring this year. Is it just my experience or is everyone feeling it. I am not a complainer of refs determining the outcome of our games as i know quite well our team has more than a few issues, but the bad calls going both ways have been off the charts horrible. Is it ref training, not enough refs, no hiring criteria, no performance evaluation, no accountability, or just too young and or inexperience
                  there "is" a ref mentorship program in the state with the focus on improving the quality (including fifa refs from different levels). Some of the problems are that small tournaments would have to cough up the money for the refs, the mentors, and the program support. Disney/espn's tournaments are so big that the mentorship refs can only cover a fraction of the games eventhough the program is well supported and funded at thier venue.

Comment

I don't see that there is much of an issue. you are asking for ref's to be perfect in their calls 100% of the time; don't forget that kids, parents and coaches are bias in their view of many calls, as they go against them. Let the calls comes; you'd rather there were no calls? I do see some difference between HS and Club and again it depends on whether they are league games, and/or cup tournaments (not showcases). Often in those high leve3l games you hear more "play on" happening. kAlso the the refs also have a certain expectation at those games as they "expect" the players, coaches and spectators have a certain level of respect/integrity for what they are doing and how they are playing... at least the expectation is there; you can't guarantee good sportsmanship but it is expected. That should occur at all levels regardless, and everyone knows it, they just don't adhere to those ideas. A shame.

Comment

Center refs get $40
                      Ars $20 per game

simply paying more will not help as many just do it for the money. we have had unfit refs not keeping up then telling us 'its my third game today'

First there needs to be more spent on better training and education. Too many don't know the basic laws.

A ref can get to level 8 easily ...and stay there.
                      Every ref should be assessed, and there should be a period of time where they then have to attempt to move up a level. THEN incentivize by paying more per game for higher level refs.

in order put money into
                      1. training
                      2. continuous education and assessment.
                      3. progression
                      4. the higher the level the better the pay.

right now we have too many bozos who just see it as an easy paycheck.............anyone could pick up $100 a day cash with little effort and knowledge.

Comment

just checked back

in 18 games
                        we have had 2 out of 54 refs/ars that were not level 8

one was 7 one said 15 !!

says it all

Comment

The sport is growing at an exponential rate while the refs are floundering with no support or guidance. They have been horrible this year, and this goes for both teams on the field. I have seen U16 girls this year swing at each other and nobody carded or tossed from the game. I could handle bad refs if they were consistent with the calls and making the same calls against both teams, but that just has not been the case. The sideline refs don't even understand offsides and in most cases are out of position. Hell, half the time they cannot indicate who's throw-in it is until they look at the head ref. There have been a few standouts this year, those refs that take control of the game, keeping things from getting out of hand.

Comment

there "is" a ref mentorship program in the state with the focus on improving the quality (including fifa refs from different levels). Some of the problems are that small tournaments would have to cough up the money for the refs, the mentors, and the program support. Disney/espn's tournaments are so big that the mentorship refs can only cover a fraction of the games eventhough the program is well supported and funded at thier venue.
                            That's not really a Gerbil thing. There's a referee clinic that just happens to go there to do its games. It takes like 30 refs and work with anyone else. The refs in it have to give almost all of their money to the instructors. You really think that sort of thing will work on the majority of youth refs and not just a couple trying to be Fifa?

Comment

worst ref

the worst ref is the fat peruvian with the shoulder length hair... totally clueless idiot

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X