Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6v6

I am starting to think we should reconsider 6v6 as the initial format for u8-u10s. I understand the theory that it helps kids getting them more touches in a smaller field. However, the majority of the games I have seen are played to win, not develop, and the touches theory goes out the window. The field is so small, games are played and won with either kickball or hard shots from a distance. FYSA: let's get young kids playing 7v7, 8v8 or 9v9. They need to develop soccer skills not kickball skills.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I am starting to think we should reconsider 6v6 as the initial format for u8-u10s. I understand the theory that it helps kids getting them more touches in a smaller field. However, the majority of the games I have seen are played to win, not develop, and the touches theory goes out the window. The field is so small, games are played and won with either kickball or hard shots from a distance. FYSA: let's get young kids playing 7v7, 8v8 or 9v9. They need to develop soccer skills not kickball skills.
    Your timing in mentioning this is key. Here, amonst some of the latest initiatives from US Soccer, is this:

"Based on the best practices around the world, U.S. Soccer will standardize small-sided games and field sizes for youth players. Creating the proper environment on and off the field for players to develop is a critical component for future success, and this begins in the earliest phases of development."

Instead of 6v6 they're actually looking at 7v7. It makes a lot of sense but really doesn't matter as long as they are playing SSG while young. I actually like the idea of 4v4 with no keepers when the kids are U8. As a teaching tool, 4v4 blows 3v3 out of the water. The kids get a lot of touches on the ball and it actually get them to think about tactics earlier than they would otherwise. Gradually move them up to 7v7 & 9v9 before getting them to 11v11 when older. SSG develops players so much better and that is why it is so widely utilized in Europe. The Netherlands has kids playing 4v4 for awhile.

Anybody that knows anything about the game knows that the larger game is composed of a bunch of SSGs all across the field. Get the kids comfortable with that first. Kids don't run before they walk so why should soccer be different?

Comment

i.e. the jerk coach that has his kids kickoff from the middle of the field.

Comment

i disagree. they should move u-8 to 4 v 4 with no keeps and provide appropriate size fields for the players to play on.

Comment

Your timing in mentioning this is key. Here, amonst some of the latest initiatives from US Soccer, is this:

"Based on the best practices around the world, U.S. Soccer will standardize small-sided games and field sizes for youth players. Creating the proper environment on and off the field for players to develop is a critical component for future success, and this begins in the earliest phases of development."

Instead of 6v6 they're actually looking at 7v7. It makes a lot of sense but really doesn't matter as long as they are playing SSG while young. I actually like the idea of 4v4 with no keepers when the kids are U8. As a teaching tool, 4v4 blows 3v3 out of the water. The kids get a lot of touches on the ball and it actually get them to think about tactics earlier than they would otherwise. Gradually move them up to 7v7 & 9v9 before getting them to 11v11 when older. SSG develops players so much better and that is why it is so widely utilized in Europe. The Netherlands has kids playing 4v4 for awhile.

Anybody that knows anything about the game knows that the larger game is composed of a bunch of SSGs all across the field. Get the kids comfortable with that first. Kids don't run before they walk so why should soccer be different?
          I do think 7v7 followed by 9v9 would be a good step forward. I agree and am all for the small sided game. But for the sake of winning I see it in practice do the exact opposite of what is intended in theory - lead to kickball. the kids that are learning the principles that are taught by a small sided game often lose to the team that plays defensively and looks for the long ball or bombs away from midfield. There is some of this in 7v7 and 9v9 of course, but the larger the field the more you need to learn to build from the back, play with a structured midfield.

Comment

i.e. the jerk coach that has his kids kickoff from the middle of the field.
            Where else would they kick off from?

Comment

Already done, FYSA are behind the times:

http://www.ypdseries.com

Comment

I think what he meant to say was the coach that has his kids kick off and merely boot the ball down as close to the goal as possible and without trying to string together any passing or building up of an attack. We've all seen coaches like this. It happens a lot. They only care about winning and shiny tournament trophies along with pictures in the paper of the team (and, of course, themselves).

Comment

You know what I mean dick whad.

Comment

I think what he meant to say was the coach that has his kids kick off and merely boot the ball down as close to the goal as possible and without trying to string together any passing or building up of an attack. We've all seen coaches like this. It happens a lot. They only care about winning and shiny tournament trophies along with pictures in the paper of the team (and, of course, themselves).
                    Exactly.

Comment

Therein lies the problem ....this type of coach is very common in FYSA youth play... he makes everyone happy if he wins this way, but he does not develop the kids... Then the coaches who try to play with solid principles get heat from parents for losing, change their approach and the vicious cycle continues ..the real losers are the kids and their development as soccer players. We need to go to 7v7 or 9v9 and adopt many of the rules us club soccer is looking at.. FYSA are you listening? Not all of us can go to Tampa Bay for weekend soccer games ..

Comment

I've seen teams at a national championship level (u-14), In KC, summer 2013 start by kicking the ball towards the corner of the field and starting their defending/attacking deep in the opponent's zone.

Comment

I've seen teams at a national championship level (u-14), In KC, summer 2013 start by kicking the ball towards the corner of the field and starting their defending/attacking deep in the opponent's zone.
                          ok and I also see simeone play defensive and rely solely on counterattacks and set piece goals. but the point at this age is formation and development. yes, at older ages, once the kids know how to play, you tactically do all sorts of things ..

Comment

Therein lies the problem ....this type of coach is very common in FYSA youth play... he makes everyone happy if he wins this way, but he does not develop the kids... Then the coaches who try to play with solid principles get heat from parents for losing, change their approach and the vicious cycle continues ..the real losers are the kids and their development as soccer players. We need to go to 7v7 or 9v9 and adopt many of the rules us club soccer is looking at.. FYSA are you listening? Not all of us can go to Tampa Bay for weekend soccer games ..
                            Doesn't matter how many players are on the field many coaches are still going to play kick and chase, they will just have more players doing it! Coaches, and parents, need to be better educated to help stop this coaching behavior.

Comment

Doesn't matter how many players are on the field many coaches are still going to play kick and chase, they will just have more players doing it! Coaches, and parents, need to be better educated to help stop this coaching behavior.

This is very true, our local league attempted to have rules for younger ones that the ball could not cross midfield with out touching a player first, that you must allow the defender to receive the ball from the goalie before you pressure etc. As one coach would attempt to play out of the back his team gets pounded for it. Unless you do a good job of educating parents on why you play that way and you will struggle but will be better in the long run it is a tough battle.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X