Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US Soccer and USYS are a Joke

It does not matter what they put on paper if they cannot implement it at these club level. They just license these clubs to steal your wallets without implementing their own prescribed curriculum. Wait till these Bayern like clubs open shop here!

Comment

Say what you want but the FACT remains that the US Womens National Team is the best in the world. So, if the structures,formats are so ineffective, why do we continue to dominate the sport in the women's side???

You folks are missing the point when you analyze the sport, or men's soccer. This country just simply thinks soccer is UNCOOL. When it is the sport that most kids play at their young age but simple losses all the best boys before they turn 13. And that's your problem right there. Doesn't matter if its 3v3 0r 11v11. If our best male athletes play soccer, it's useless. Lebron,Russel Wilson,etc..NAme all the freaks that are so athletic, and they all play in different sports and not soccer.

When this country figures out how to make the sport CHEAP, EXCLUSIVE, and UNITED, change will happen for the best. Think of how easy and cheap it is to play AAU basketball. How about how only the best players get to play in top level competitions? How about the limited but nationally acknowledged tournaments in other sports? Soccer is the last resort for rich kids to play in and have no problem in being part of a team. When it actually becomes a real sport, MAYBE...

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Say what you want but the FACT remains that the US Womens National Team is the best in the world. So, if the structures,formats are so ineffective, why do we continue to dominate the sport in the women's side???

You folks are missing the point when you analyze the sport, or men's soccer. This country just simply thinks soccer is UNCOOL. When it is the sport that most kids play at their young age but simple losses all the best boys before they turn 13. And that's your problem right there. Doesn't matter if its 3v3 0r 11v11. If our best male athletes play soccer, it's useless. Lebron,Russel Wilson,etc..NAme all the freaks that are so athletic, and they all play in different sports and not soccer.

When this country figures out how to make the sport CHEAP, EXCLUSIVE, and UNITED, change will happen for the best. Think of how easy and cheap it is to play AAU basketball. How about how only the best players get to play in top level competitions? How about the limited but nationally acknowledged tournaments in other sports? Soccer is the last resort for rich kids to play in and have no problem in being part of a team. When it actually becomes a real sport, MAYBE...
        you are wrong if you think LeBron or Russell Wilson would make good soccer players. you are in every thread with the same comment.

soccer is a physically demanding sport that requires elite athleticism and it is also a sport that requires fine tuning specific somewhat unnatural skills. if LeBron doesn't have first touch, he is useless on the field.

Comment

I am starting to think we should reconsider 6v6 as the initial format for u8-u10s. I understand the theory that it helps kids getting them more touches in a smaller field. However, the majority of the games I have seen are played to win, not develop, and the touches theory goes out the window. The field is so small, games are played and won with either kickball or hard shots from a distance. FYSA: let's get young kids playing 7v7, 8v8 or 9v9. They need to develop soccer skills not kickball skills.
          From what I have seen the more rec players you put on the field the less quality of passing you will see. Development a larger group of unskilled players will be a disaster . The other countries can do it because they have more skill. Good luck we have about 3 good players on our 6v6 travel team they stay in the back and the rec runs forward to play kick and chase. The more rec players the quality will go down hill!

Comment

you are wrong if you think LeBron or Russell Wilson would make good soccer players. you are in every thread with the same comment.

soccer is a physically demanding sport that requires elite athleticism and it is also a sport that requires fine tuning specific somewhat unnatural skills. if LeBron doesn't have first touch, he is useless on the field.
            I'm not the person that you are replying to but I am curious to know why you think LeBron or Russel Wilson wouldn't make good soccer players. Both are incredible athletes. You even said "soccer is a physically demanding sport that requires elite athleticism and it is also a sport that requires fine tuning specific somewhat unnatural skills." Both have elite athleticism so why wouldn't they be good soccer players? Maybe they would or maybe they wouldn't. We'll never know. FWIW, Kobe Bryant is a decent soccer player. He did grow up in Italy so he had a lot more exposure to the game than LeBron did growing up in the inner-city of Akron, Ohio. Perhaps if LeBron grew up in Italy he would also be a decent soccer player because he is every bit as athletic as Kobe if not more so. Also, FWIW, LeBron was one helluva a wide receiver in football and probably would be now if he had chosen the gridiron over the hardwood.

Comment

I'm not the person that you are replying to but I am curious to know why you think LeBron or Russel Wilson wouldn't make good soccer players. Both are incredible athletes. You even said "soccer is a physically demanding sport that requires elite athleticism and it is also a sport that requires fine tuning specific somewhat unnatural skills." Both have elite athleticism so why wouldn't they be good soccer players? Maybe they would or maybe they wouldn't. We'll never know. FWIW, Kobe Bryant is a decent soccer player. He did grow up in Italy so he had a lot more exposure to the game than LeBron did growing up in the inner-city of Akron, Ohio. Perhaps if LeBron grew up in Italy he would also be a decent soccer player because he is every bit as athletic as Kobe if not more so. Also, FWIW, LeBron was one helluva a wide receiver in football and probably would be now if he had chosen the gridiron over the hardwood.
              Soccer is about skill and iq, with athleticism a distant third. How many times has a team from Africa won a world cup? Germany, Brazil, Italy, Argentina and Spain in recent years because of skill, not raw freekish athletism. Most of these countries' best players are under 6'. How long would Lebron last on a field 130 yards long running for 90 minutes. People 6'8" are not built to last on a soccer field.

If you want to go the athlete route think of smaller point guards and tennis players, but the reality is soccer still demands ridiculous skill and god given talent with a ball at your feet.

Comment

Soccer is about skill and iq, with athleticism a distant third. How many times has a team from Africa won a world cup? Germany, Brazil, Italy, Argentina and Spain in recent years because of skill, not raw freekish athletism. Most of these countries' best players are under 6'. How long would Lebron last on a field 130 yards long running for 90 minutes. People 6'8" are not built to last on a soccer field.

If you want to go the athlete route think of smaller point guards and tennis players, but the reality is soccer still demands ridiculous skill and god given talent with a ball at your feet.
                We're getting a little off point of the 6v6 topic of the thread but your points are well taken.

I do agree that LeBron's height he would probably have a few issues on the field. Additionally, he is usually listed at around 250 pounds but I have heard from reliable sources that he is probably more like 265 to 270. Lugging that wight around the field would be a challenge, no doubt. He is as fast as all get out, though.

As mentioned above, Kobe Bryant is reputed to be a decent soccer player and wold probably be a lot better had he chosen to concentrate on the sport. Growing up in Italy helped him as he had a lot of exposure to soccer. Kobe is 6'6".

I was curious about how tall some of the tallest soccer players are at the top level of the sport. I figured that most of them would be keepers but there are exceptions. I won't name all of the players here (you can google it if you want to) but there more players in the 6'8"ish range than I would have thought. If a field player they are usually a forward or defender. Granted, most look like toothpicks when compared to LeBron.

As to you "IQ" comment - soccer does take a very specific set of understanding. However, I don't think that it would be something that could not be taught. Certain skills specific to soccer are innate and others can be taught and learned. Also, face it; from a tactical standpoint soccer and basketball are not really all that different. Same as hockey and soccer. Lacrosse & soccer. Field hockey & soccer. All of those sports are similar from a tactical standpoint.

I have no doubt that there are basketball players playing at the top level that probably could have also played soccer at the top level. The same could be said about some athletes that play American football. Some of them probably could play soccer as well though I tend to believe that basketball players are the better overall athletes and better suited to the game. Speaking of basketball players playing soccer, I also heard that Steve Nash is a good soccer player. Check out the followig YouTube clip of him. He starts a little after the 1:00 mark. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwbCLqB8_5o

Comment

We're getting a little off point of the 6v6 topic of the thread but your points are well taken.

I do agree that LeBron's height he would probably have a few issues on the field. Additionally, he is usually listed at around 250 pounds but I have heard from reliable sources that he is probably more like 265 to 270. Lugging that wight around the field would be a challenge, no doubt. He is as fast as all get out, though.

As mentioned above, Kobe Bryant is reputed to be a decent soccer player and wold probably be a lot better had he chosen to concentrate on the sport. Growing up in Italy helped him as he had a lot of exposure to soccer. Kobe is 6'6".

I was curious about how tall some of the tallest soccer players are at the top level of the sport. I figured that most of them would be keepers but there are exceptions. I won't name all of the players here (you can google it if you want to) but there more players in the 6'8"ish range than I would have thought. If a field player they are usually a forward or defender. Granted, most look like toothpicks when compared to LeBron.

As to you "IQ" comment - soccer does take a very specific set of understanding. However, I don't think that it would be something that could not be taught. Certain skills specific to soccer are innate and others can be taught and learned. Also, face it; from a tactical standpoint soccer and basketball are not really all that different. Same as hockey and soccer. Lacrosse & soccer. Field hockey & soccer. All of those sports are similar from a tactical standpoint.

I have no doubt that there are basketball players playing at the top level that probably could have also played soccer at the top level. The same could be said about some athletes that play American football. Some of them probably could play soccer as well though I tend to believe that basketball players are the better overall athletes and better suited to the game. Speaking of basketball players playing soccer, I also heard that Steve Nash is a good soccer player. Check out the followig YouTube clip of him. He starts a little after the 1:00 mark. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwbCLqB8_5o
                  I almost mentioned Steve Nash before, so yes i agree other elite athletes could play soccer, but the number is much smaller than the typical american fan would have you think. US Soccer doesn't need more or better athletes to be successful, its needs a cultural shift that allows for players to develop during practice time and free time. So much skill is developed away from formal practice time. That's what Europe & South America provide that the US does not. Anyway, way off base from the topic of 6v6.

I'm all for standardizing the age groups and number of players on a field. I prefer keeping small 4v4, 6v6, 7v7, 9v9 till 11v11 at U13. Any type of national standardization would be beneficial.

Comment

Your idea that larger elite athletes would be at a disadvantage over smaller elite athletes may be true but for now it is pure speculation. I'm not sure there are any studies that suggest being physically dominant over your opponent will somehow put you at a competitive disadvantage over a longer period event.

I get that basketball stars are easier to identify but really . . . its football that takes most of the elite athletes in the US. Basketball is much more specialized, moreso than soccer, where being a great athlete won't compensate for the size and specific skill advantages certain players have.

Comment

One of the main reasons why Women soccer is good in USA: there are no other countries invest in women team sports as much as done in USA. It is same like all those countries do not invest in any other team sports other than soccer/football for men. For example there is absolutely no professional basketball in Argentina, yet there is Manu Ginobli playing NBA as good as any other NBA star! Same is true for so many Brazilian, Spanish, French and many more East European players !!!

Comment

6v6, 7v7, 8v8... Doesn't matter if 'everybody" can play "COMPETITIVE" as long as you can PAY!!!

When there is only one league for everybody with just one division or even two, that will be the time SOCCER will eventually be a real competitive sport for kids. Let's be honest, C'Mon. If I have a 13 year old kid who haven't played soccer at all, I can bet you that I can get him/her to play at a Division 1 team. And that is the real issue that most "experts" don't realize. Just try to do that with basketball and your kid will be embarrassed at AAU. There are too many leagues with as much divisions as your ice cream flavors.

Again, too expensive a sport but with none of the benefits you could get being good at it as you would in basketball,baseball or football.

Comment

One of the main reasons why Women soccer is good in USA: there are no other countries invest in women team sports as much as done in USA. It is same like all those countries do not invest in any other team sports other than soccer/football for men. For example there is absolutely no professional basketball in Argentina, yet there is Manu Ginobli playing NBA as good as any other NBA star! Same is true for so many Brazilian, Spanish, French and many more East European players !!!
                          There is professional basketball in Argentina.

Comment

6v6, 7v7, 8v8... Doesn't matter if 'everybody" can play "COMPETITIVE" as long as you can PAY!!!

When there is only one league for everybody with just one division or even two, that will be the time SOCCER will eventually be a real competitive sport for kids. Let's be honest, C'Mon. If I have a 13 year old kid who haven't played soccer at all, I can bet you that I can get him/her to play at a Division 1 team. And that is the real issue that most "experts" don't realize. Just try to do that with basketball and your kid will be embarrassed at AAU. There are too many leagues with as much divisions as your ice cream flavors.

Again, too expensive a sport but with none of the benefits you could get being good at it as you would in basketball,baseball or football.
                            You have no clue and obviously never played soccer.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                            Auto-Saved
                            x
                            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                            x
                            Working...
                            X