Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Generally speaking teams this good send nearly 100% of the players on to college at some level. Something went very wrong with so few moving forward and players leaving in their final year. Very sad they do not get to defend their OYSA State Title and finish off as being one of the best teams in OYSA history. Instead they defected to another club and then league.
    At the moment, seven players committed to play college soccer. Five are D-1. There should be a couple more committed in the next couple of months, likely also at D-1 level. One D-1 commit decided to not play soccer anymore, after committing. The past year created lots of challenges, for everyone. It's pretty difficult to keep a team of Senior players together during the spring season and play OYSA, because you have a handful that are done playing, and have moved on to other activities, working part time, enjoying the last few months of their senior year. They had a nice run, and all that stuck with it benefitted pretty well. It should be fun to see how these girls do at the next level, for those that have opted to keep playing. For those that stopped playing, it was pretty obvious soccer no longer was the priority, which seems pretty normal to me. A couple still have another year of HS left, and both will have D-1 opportunities, if they choose to keep playing. Not every kid wants play college sports, due to the commitment needed. To suggest nearly 100% of a team goes on to play in college is just not correct. For this team, it's about half the roster. After winning four straight OYSA titles, I'd suggest they are one of the best teams in OYSA history. But does that really matter?

Comment

At the moment, seven players committed to play college soccer. Five are D-1. There should be a couple more committed in the next couple of months, likely also at D-1 level. One D-1 commit decided to not play soccer anymore, after committing. The past year created lots of challenges, for everyone. It's pretty difficult to keep a team of Senior players together during the spring season and play OYSA, because you have a handful that are done playing, and have moved on to other activities, working part time, enjoying the last few months of their senior year. They had a nice run, and all that stuck with it benefitted pretty well. It should be fun to see how these girls do at the next level, for those that have opted to keep playing. For those that stopped playing, it was pretty obvious soccer no longer was the priority, which seems pretty normal to me. A couple still have another year of HS left, and both will have D-1 opportunities, if they choose to keep playing. Not every kid wants play college sports, due to the commitment needed. To suggest nearly 100% of a team goes on to play in college is just not correct. For this team, it's about half the roster. After winning four straight OYSA titles, I'd suggest they are one of the best teams in OYSA history. But does that really matter?

I was tracking until you said one of the best in OYSA history. This feat is not a first and is about half the amount of championships as the truly great teams. There are current teams still doing this (winning 4 straight). I know of girls teams that played every state championship since u11. I know of boys teams that have done the same. 4 straight state championships in OYSA is a typical good team and way to common to designate any team as being one of the all time best from OYSA. By the time High School soccer starts for girls, there are usually 2-4 competitive teams left and one that is often stronger than the rest. This one team usually will win most, if not all, the state championships for those older ages. (ex. THUSC 96, Westside Timbers 97s, Westside Timbers 98s, 99s was a mixed bag, Salmon Creek 00s - Eastside Timbers 00s before HS, Captial Timbers 01s,WA Timbers 02s, GPS 03s, Eastside 04s, etc.) You were the best in the 03 age group in the state. That is your official title. There were even bigger results from teams before the list I gave, ECNL took many good players and teams away from OYSA.

Comment

I was tracking until you said one of the best in OYSA history. This feat is not a first and is about half the amount of championships as the truly great teams. There are current teams still doing this (winning 4 straight). I know of girls teams that played every state championship since u11. I know of boys teams that have done the same. 4 straight state championships in OYSA is a typical good team and way to common to designate any team as being one of the all time best from OYSA. By the time High School soccer starts for girls, there are usually 2-4 competitive teams left and one that is often stronger than the rest. This one team usually will win most, if not all, the state championships for those older ages. (ex. THUSC 96, Westside Timbers 97s, Westside Timbers 98s, 99s was a mixed bag, Salmon Creek 00s - Eastside Timbers 00s before HS, Captial Timbers 01s,WA Timbers 02s, GPS 03s, Eastside 04s, etc.) You were the best in the 03 age group in the state. That is your official title. There were even bigger results from teams before the list I gave, ECNL took many good players and teams away from OYSA.

I was tracking until you started referencing teams from the 90's.... Lol.

Comment

GPS 03 girls were a very good team, easily one of the top 2-3 girls teams in Oregon in the 2003 class.

Comment

GPS 03 girls were a very good team, easily one of the top 2-3 girls teams in Oregon in the 2003 class.
            So what ultimately dictates a good team? The number of wins? The national "rankings"? The number of players committed to D1 programs?

Comment

So what ultimately dictates a good team? The number of wins? The national "rankings"? The number of players committed to D1 programs?
              How much they charge clueless parents for girls soccer seems to be the only qualitative measure in Oregon these crazy dayz.

Comment

My guess is those d1 commits will do just as good in college as other recent OYSA d1 commits have done - Wa Timbers 02 player on her second school in 6 months, 2 Salem 01 players on first name basis with the bench. The GPS team is no different. But every team needs players who are happy to make d1 and don’t care about being on the field.

As far as being the best ever, that’s adorable. You benefited from a time when Oregon soccer was fractured into 3 buckets of talent, and you won in the weakest bucket. The best ever OYSA teams came from an era when the limited Oregon talent was united in one league. THUSC’s onyx, Westside 97/98, Eugene’s 99’s. All won multiple titles in a time when there was one competitive league in Oregon. Everyone after did it with an asterisk sorry pal.

Comment

My guess is those d1 commits will do just as good in college as other recent OYSA d1 commits have done - Wa Timbers 02 player on her second school in 6 months, 2 Salem 01 players on first name basis with the bench. The GPS team is no different. But every team needs players who are happy to make d1 and don’t care about being on the field.

As far as being the best ever, that’s adorable. You benefited from a time when Oregon soccer was fractured into 3 buckets of talent, and you won in the weakest bucket. The best ever OYSA teams came from an era when the limited Oregon talent was united in one league. THUSC’s onyx, Westside 97/98, Eugene’s 99’s. All won multiple titles in a time when there was one competitive league in Oregon. Everyone after did it with an asterisk sorry pal.
                  Weird, I remember FCP 99 wining both state cups before they left for ECNL. I think they beat THUSC once then maybe Eugene. Don’t believe won anything until that group moved on to ECNL? Kids from that FCP team are all over the D1 fields now.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  x
                  Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                  x
                  Working...
                  X