Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    $800 for a year of soccer would be a dream! When you factor in hotel stays, tournament fees, private training, etc it can run into thousand of dollars per year. Paying to play, paying to travel and paying for training are all fine and good. It can be a huge financial commitment for your family. Families need to understand that it is a lot of time and money and very rarely does this sacrifice come with a college scholarship at the end. It is a very expensive hobby, but the alternative of having teenagers free on the weekends and afternoons to do whatever they please is not good either. Investing in club soccer is better than investing in rehab.
    Can anyone explain why so many look at club soccer this way, i.e., that if you don't pay whatever it costs to play club soccer, your child will be in rehab? What a pessimist! You need to give your kids' generation a little more credit than that!

Comment

Can anyone explain why so many look at club soccer this way, i.e., that if you don't pay whatever it costs to play club soccer, your child will be in rehab? What a pessimist! You need to give your kids' generation a little more credit than that!
      Yes, I can explain it:

You're being ridiculously literal.

Comment

Yes, I can explain it:

You're being ridiculously literal.
        In other words, you can't explain it.

Comment

In other words, you can't explain it.
          Allright, if you insist:

the poster wasn't saying "anyone who doesn't play soccer will wind up in rehab"... it was simply an ironic comparitive device to illustrate the point, which is:

Yes, soccer fees can represent a significant amount of money- but you could do a lot worse than to pay fees for your kid to have healthy competition with friends and learn to love a terrific sport.

I hope this helps.

Comment

FEES are too much . Fees go up each year to cover cost and pay coaches who dont produce. Because in the end clubs look for production. Non profit organization and these clubs hold camps on the side and make you pay. Not worth it at all. Uniforms do not cost that much and if fees go up then these side camps should be included for everyone. How about the coach that praises one player in front of his teammates and thinks that that player is the best. Also how about these coaches that are paid and still dont realize what team soccer is about when one person is getting the ball all the time. Doc should not be paid unless they are going to games of all the teams.

Comment

FEES are too much . Fees go up each year to cover cost and pay coaches who dont produce. Because in the end clubs look for production. Non profit organization and these clubs hold camps on the side and make you pay. Not worth it at all. Uniforms do not cost that much and if fees go up then these side camps should be included for everyone. How about the coach that praises one player in front of his teammates and thinks that that player is the best. Also how about these coaches that are paid and still dont realize what team soccer is about when one person is getting the ball all the time. Doc should not be paid unless they are going to games of all the teams.
              Ok then. You've got quite a few issues here.

Sounds like you had an unpleasant experience this season and should evaluate other things next year.

Comment

Allright, if you insist:

the poster wasn't saying "anyone who doesn't play soccer will wind up in rehab"... it was simply an ironic comparitive device to illustrate the point, which is:

Yes, soccer fees can represent a significant amount of money- but you could do a lot worse than to pay fees for your kid to have healthy competition with friends and learn to love a terrific sport.

I hope this helps.
                Never mind. You're missing the point. (But you do get some points for "ironic comparitive device," even though you misspelled one of the words).

Comment

I felt that way

left the big club with the pay to play coach went some where with a coach that wanted to coach the team and doesnt charge to help your kid out on the side. It`s also a team that takes into acount how much something cost before they mandate we all go. My son played his old team with his new team not to long ago and they blew them away. Just proves that bigger more expensive clubs are`nt better just because they cost more find the right team and people that care about how your child develops and it`s ok if cost is part of your decesion.

Comment

Good post. This is a very realistic assessment of club soccer, although I do not know of any real club that offers fees as low as $800. They must not offer "training," the bait that clubs use to make ignorant parents believe that they are receiving great value.
                    For your info CPUSA which is a real club with paid coaches and the doc that is the real deal !!! Was 800 last year but yes there are other things such as travel you must pay for but all sports have extras as well. Bottom line if you can't afford it then there is always rec.

Comment

left the big club with the pay to play coach went some where with a coach that wanted to coach the team and doesnt charge to help your kid out on the side. It`s also a team that takes into acount how much something cost before they mandate we all go. My son played his old team with his new team not to long ago and they blew them away. Just proves that bigger more expensive clubs are`nt better just because they cost more find the right team and people that care about how your child develops and it`s ok if cost is part of your decesion.
                      So true !!

Comment

west side is a litle less than that

and they have tech. dir. Like Terry Peak who work with your kid once a week and with your coach. All of there coachs are cert and have also been through coerver coaching classes. There is no better training in town.

Comment

Spot on. But it is not worth going in to debt or sacrificing other important family needs to fund your kid's travel soccer.
                          My daughter received a Scholarship, lets see 4 years and a savings of 13000 per year. Not a bad investment I would say.

Comment

My daughter received a Scholarship, lets see 4 years and a savings of 13000 per year. Not a bad investment I would say.
                            Not strictly true. In order to get the $52k cumulative, how much was the actual investment the previous 10 years? If you do a serious analysis, you might find that the real investment was $5k/year.

But don't get me wrong- it's quite an acomplishment. So congratulations, but that's the exception, not the rule. If that's all athletic money, your daughter is likely extremely talented and worked very hard.

The point is that for the vast (VAST) majority of starry-eyed Mias and Landons, the "investment" ends in dissapointment. So if mom and dad think Club soccer is an easy way to fund higher education, they're delusional.

Comment

It's really strange--they play on top club teams on middle-of-the-road hs teams, but they really love hs.
                              Why is this a mystery? Kids don't play sports in a vacuum. One of the big motivations of HS sports are the social status benefits it accords. Kids who play on the school teams make more friends, get recognition for being a successful athlete, etc. The urge to belong is powerful in teens.

People on TS wonder why so many US athletes migrate from soccer to other sports. Could it be that the club system undermines the overall competitiveness of HS soccer? Rather than developmental programs for older teens, would we be better off trying to raise HS soccer to the same level of competitiveness as football, baseball, and basketball, and thus become a true proving ground and recruiting venue for college and pro prospects?

That was a question, not an argument, by the way.

Comment

Having had my daughter in dance, soccer is a real bargain. I was so happy when she picked soccer over dance. There are a lot of other sports that are way more expensive then soccer. What makes it worth it is the passion that my child has for soccer.

Same for gymnastics or volleyball. It cost $4000 for 1 year of gymnastics. Soccer was a real bargain. I don't know why people even complain. If your kid is doing soccer, then they are exercising and staying out of trouble, way less expensive than rehab and Jenny Craig.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X