Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MLS - style of play

watching a little MLS over the weekend and I noticed immediately an enormous style of play difference from La Liga, the league I usually watch. Maintaining possession over stretches does not seem to be valued. Long balls predominate in the MLS. In the attacking zone, everything is crossed, regardless of whether there is anyone to cross to. Much more physical compared to La liga in my opinion.

So, my question to those that know: is the MLS intentionally seeking a more "tackle football" style of play...by this I mean promoting a more physical, vertical approach, quick, (I would say sloppy) highly attack oriented possessions ... is this the "directive" from above, based on the thought that this is the style of play that would catch on in the USA? Are we being guided towards an "American" brand of soccer? Is this what you personally want to see ? Based on what I saw on the NY-NE game, I'll just continue to watch La Liga...!

When you mean La liga you mean Real and Barcelona may be Atletico because there is a lot of trash in La liga too. Can you really watch some of the weaker teams Granada, Almeria, Cordoba, real sociedad..., Rayo
    I am sure you do not watch that. When you mean La liga you are biased on the three bigger clubs. The MLS games were not that bad this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      When you mean La liga you mean Real and Barcelona may be Atletico because there is a lot of trash in La liga too. Can you really watch some of the weaker teams Granada, Almeria, Cordoba, real sociedad..., Rayo
      I am sure you do not watch that. When you mean La liga you are biased on the three bigger clubs. The MLS games were not that bad this weekend.
      la liga really. what you really mean to say is you love sitting on your couch in your cr7's that are 2 sizes too small drooling over ronaldo all day. outside of 2 or 3 teams there is no competition in la liga. You can't compare MLS to Madrid or Barca. The salaries of one of those teams equals the whole league of MLS. Every team has a chance to win in MLS which makes for exciting playoffs. It may be rougher during playoffs. Each game matters here so players are giving their all. But that will never change your mind because you know nothing about soccer. New age soccer snob.

Comment

I watch a little of everything. Although just because I cannot watch 3 games in one day, I end up watching like you said Madrid, barca and atletico 80% of the time. But I have no problem watching rayo, sociedad, bilbao, getafe, sevilla, etc.

As for the MLS, I didn't say it was bad. I somewhat enjoyed the NY-NE game. great atmosphere. i just found it to be very different. Even a team like sociedad or rayo is much more disciplined in attack than either NY or NE. They just don't like to give away possessions. As a philosophy. That seems to be very different from the MLS where risks are taken very freely. I will be watching more MLS, regardless, as I thnk it is important to promote the sport in this country. But I suppose I was wondering if I should just always expect a different style of soccer than what I am used to seeing.

Comment

la liga really. what you really mean to say is you love sitting on your couch in your cr7's that are 2 sizes too small drooling over ronaldo all day. outside of 2 or 3 teams there is no competition in la liga. You can't compare MLS to Madrid or Barca. The salaries of one of those teams equals the whole league of MLS. Every team has a chance to win in MLS which makes for exciting playoffs. It may be rougher during playoffs. Each game matters here so players are giving their all. But that will never change your mind because you know nothing about soccer. New age soccer snob.
          I do know about soccer and I enjoyed the MLS playoff game. I attend local NASL games and I really enjoy the game at any level.

You are right not to compare MLS to Madrid or Barca, but what about Sevilla, Valencia, Villareal, Sporting Gijon? These are clubs with miniscule budgets. You don't see nearly as many crosses to no one in particular, goal kicks that end up out of play, passes to no one. You don't see it as much in the Liga Mx either to be honest.

The MLS athletes are extraordinary and the games are very watchable with a great atmosphere. I am not hating. The style however seems to be very physical and vertical. As this is the first MLS game I have seen in 3 years, I was wondering if this is the norm.

Comment

I do know about soccer and I enjoyed the MLS playoff game. I attend local NASL games and I really enjoy the game at any level.

You are right not to compare MLS to Madrid or Barca, but what about Sevilla, Valencia, Villareal, Sporting Gijon? These are clubs with miniscule budgets. You don't see nearly as many crosses to no one in particular, goal kicks that end up out of play, passes to no one. You don't see it as much in the Liga Mx either to be honest.

The MLS athletes are extraordinary and the games are very watchable with a great atmosphere. I am not hating. The style however seems to be very physical and vertical. As this is the first MLS game I have seen in 3 years, I was wondering if this is the norm.
            Then why did you make such a ludicrous statement as you did saying MLS is trying to dumb down soccer to make americans watch more. Skill level on average is better in those leagues but they are also more content not to challenge for every ball and let the other team have spells of possession. 5 successful passbacks doesn't get you any closer to scoring than a wasted cross.

Comment

Then why did you make such a ludicrous statement as you did saying MLS is trying to dumb down soccer to make americans watch more. Skill level on average is better in those leagues but they are also more content not to challenge for every ball and let the other team have spells of possession. 5 successful passbacks doesn't get you any closer to scoring than a wasted cross.
              No estoy de acuerdo tio. As long as you have the ball, you have the possibility of creating something. Your midfield works the ball in a position where when the risk is taken, the risky pass made, it is a calculated risk. When you waste a cross, you turn over possession. Don't know how many crosses I saw yesterday where no one was there or there was one guy with three defenders on him. There was one excellent cross - Henry's that hit Phillips on the head. To me, all those wasted crosses are just bad soccer.

Comment

No estoy de acuerdo tio. As long as you have the ball, you have the possibility of creating something. Your midfield works the ball in a position where when the risk is taken, the risky pass made, it is a calculated risk. When you waste a cross, you turn over possession. Don't know how many crosses I saw yesterday where no one was there or there was one guy with three defenders on him. There was one excellent cross - Henry's that hit Phillips on the head. To me, all those wasted crosses are just bad soccer.
                it's the old english direct crap, I don't like it either but it is easier to master than the possesional futbol we grew up with. I watched the NE/NY game and I loved the crowd and the intensity. The game could have been better but in the playoffs you do what you need to........

Comment

While to MLS game between NE & NY was exciting it seemed like the faster the play became (especially in transition) The sloppier the first touch was. The only one that seemed to have no problem at all handling it at any speed was Dax McCarty.

Comment

watching a little MLS over the weekend and I noticed immediately an enormous style of play difference from La Liga, the league I usually watch. Maintaining possession over stretches does not seem to be valued. Long balls predominate in the MLS. In the attacking zone, everything is crossed, regardless of whether there is anyone to cross to. Much more physical compared to La liga in my opinion.

So, my question to those that know: is the MLS intentionally seeking a more "tackle football" style of play...by this I mean promoting a more physical, vertical approach, quick, (I would say sloppy) highly attack oriented possessions ... is this the "directive" from above, based on the thought that this is the style of play that would catch on in the USA? Are we being guided towards an "American" brand of soccer? Is this what you personally want to see ? Based on what I saw on the NY-NE game, I'll just continue to watch La Liga...!
                    If you judge by all the yellow cards handed out over both games yesterday, you couldn't conclude that they are seeking a 'tackle football' style of play.

Comment

If you judge by all the yellow cards handed out over both games yesterday, you couldn't conclude that they are seeking a 'tackle football' style of play.
                      good point

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x
                      Working...
                      X