Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A 4 x MLS Referee of the Year in " WHAT IT TAKES TO BE A REFEREE"

Somebody forwarded this to me: Paul Tamberino was the MLS referee of the Year in 1998,1999,2000 and 2001

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++

As my role as Director of Referee Development for PAW, I meet and speak with many parents and coaches throughout the year, especially at tournaments. Parents and coaches are quit to criticize referee for their decisions, some civil and some not so civil, (see the abuse article I have written). While at a recent tournament I was speaking with a parent and the discussion led to the article below. This gentleman, along with his wife, had no idea what it takes to become a referee and the expense that goes into it. Feel free to share with your youth clubs, parents and the general spectator. It's a wake up call for those that have no idea what referee need.

WHAT IT TAKES TO BE A REFEREE

I just attended the State Cups at Slippery Rock University and I must say that the entire weekend was an enjoyable one. The players, spectators and, yes, the referees, played a part in its success. At one particular game, I was speaking with a parent of one of the participants, introduced myself, and we started to discuss refereeing. We were having a general conversation about the performances that he had seen over the course of the season and how impressed he was with those performances. What he did not know was what this article was about.

Referees love this game. Almost all have played this beautiful game that we watch and support.

They take time off from work and family to officiate games so your children can play a game monitored by someone who will control and keep your kids safe. Most games are played on weekends in the spring and summer where they could be home fixing things around the house, beautifying their lawns, hanging out with their kids, or even taking a vacation. But they dedicate their time to refereeing. On the holiday weekends, there they are again, donating their time when most other families are at the shore, water parks or having a BBQ with family. You may say, but wait a minute, they get paid. And you are absolutely correct. But at the end of the day, there is no scholarship for referees that saves parents thousands of dollars for college tuition like there is for players. Believe me, referees do not do this for the money. We have a recruitment process and most potential referees tell us that they would not referee no matter what fee. This is due to the abuse they receive - which is a whole different topic.

The next time you attend your son or daughter’s soccer game, take some time to consider some of the following thoughts regarding the referees on the games:

On the matter of money, referees buy their own uniforms. The referees must wear the same uniform and that uniform is dictated by the organization they work for. There are 5 colors for the jersey (with both long and short sleeve versions), shorts, socks (they need more than one pair), shoes (sometimes two pairs just like players), and their basic equipment - whistles, watch, misconduct cards, flags, a pump and gauge, and a bag to put all of the equipment in. So in all, 10 jerseys plus all of the equipment totals approximately $1,000. Now that the logo has changed, the referee jersey will also change and they are asked to buy those ten uniforms again. Let us not forget that out of their game fee, they need to buy gas and food. Some referee assignors ask their referees to travel some distance to and from games. Also, the referee does not do one game and go home like the players. They are there for sometimes five to seven hours, game after game.

Secondly, as spectators and parents, you enjoy watching the game and your son or daughter play. But during inclement weather, you have rain coats and umbrellas. During winter, you wear heavy coats. You watch the one game, get in your car, turn on the heat and go home. The referees, though, stay for another game and another game wearing the same uniform and clothing underneath, all wet and cold with no one offering a warm drink or shelter from the elements.

Here are two other things the average spectator does not realize. Most of these officials get assessed. Why? They want to get better - for your kids! They also pay a fee for that. They also participate in continuing education and attend a re-certification clinic every year. This is another weekend away from home. Also, there is a fitness test for most referees. When I say most, US Soccer did not make it mandatory for certain grades, but many referees must take and pass a fitness test in order to stay at a certain level.

So when you see a referee, don’t just think that he or she is collecting their game fee. Be thankful that there are people out there trying to do the best they can, protect your players and dedicate much more than most think.

Paul Tamberino, Director of Referee Development
    Western PA Referees

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Somebody forwarded this to me: Paul Tamberino was the MLS referee of the Year in 1998,1999,2000 and 2001

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++

As my role as Director of Referee Development for PAW, I meet and speak with many parents and coaches throughout the year, especially at tournaments. Parents and coaches are quit to criticize referee for their decisions, some civil and some not so civil, (see the abuse article I have written). While at a recent tournament I was speaking with a parent and the discussion led to the article below. This gentleman, along with his wife, had no idea what it takes to become a referee and the expense that goes into it. Feel free to share with your youth clubs, parents and the general spectator. It's a wake up call for those that have no idea what referee need.

WHAT IT TAKES TO BE A REFEREE

I just attended the State Cups at Slippery Rock University and I must say that the entire weekend was an enjoyable one. The players, spectators and, yes, the referees, played a part in its success. At one particular game, I was speaking with a parent of one of the participants, introduced myself, and we started to discuss refereeing. We were having a general conversation about the performances that he had seen over the course of the season and how impressed he was with those performances. What he did not know was what this article was about.

Referees love this game. Almost all have played this beautiful game that we watch and support.

They take time off from work and family to officiate games so your children can play a game monitored by someone who will control and keep your kids safe. Most games are played on weekends in the spring and summer where they could be home fixing things around the house, beautifying their lawns, hanging out with their kids, or even taking a vacation. But they dedicate their time to refereeing. On the holiday weekends, there they are again, donating their time when most other families are at the shore, water parks or having a BBQ with family. You may say, but wait a minute, they get paid. And you are absolutely correct. But at the end of the day, there is no scholarship for referees that saves parents thousands of dollars for college tuition like there is for players. Believe me, referees do not do this for the money. We have a recruitment process and most potential referees tell us that they would not referee no matter what fee. This is due to the abuse they receive - which is a whole different topic.

The next time you attend your son or daughter’s soccer game, take some time to consider some of the following thoughts regarding the referees on the games:

On the matter of money, referees buy their own uniforms. The referees must wear the same uniform and that uniform is dictated by the organization they work for. There are 5 colors for the jersey (with both long and short sleeve versions), shorts, socks (they need more than one pair), shoes (sometimes two pairs just like players), and their basic equipment - whistles, watch, misconduct cards, flags, a pump and gauge, and a bag to put all of the equipment in. So in all, 10 jerseys plus all of the equipment totals approximately $1,000. Now that the logo has changed, the referee jersey will also change and they are asked to buy those ten uniforms again. Let us not forget that out of their game fee, they need to buy gas and food. Some referee assignors ask their referees to travel some distance to and from games. Also, the referee does not do one game and go home like the players. They are there for sometimes five to seven hours, game after game.

Secondly, as spectators and parents, you enjoy watching the game and your son or daughter play. But during inclement weather, you have rain coats and umbrellas. During winter, you wear heavy coats. You watch the one game, get in your car, turn on the heat and go home. The referees, though, stay for another game and another game wearing the same uniform and clothing underneath, all wet and cold with no one offering a warm drink or shelter from the elements.

Here are two other things the average spectator does not realize. Most of these officials get assessed. Why? They want to get better - for your kids! They also pay a fee for that. They also participate in continuing education and attend a re-certification clinic every year. This is another weekend away from home. Also, there is a fitness test for most referees. When I say most, US Soccer did not make it mandatory for certain grades, but many referees must take and pass a fitness test in order to stay at a certain level.

So when you see a referee, don’t just think that he or she is collecting their game fee. Be thankful that there are people out there trying to do the best they can, protect your players and dedicate much more than most think.

Paul Tamberino, Director of Referee Development
    Western PA Referees
    Interesting read.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    Working...
    X