Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It takes about 6 years to develop in the formative years!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    You dont understand. The fact that MLS has nothing to do with our youth soccer model is the problem - it is WHY it is pay-to-play instead of subsidized like the clubs in Europe. When the clubs take the parents and parent $$$ out of the equation as in Europe (where youth soccer is free for players), the clubs get their profit from developing and selling players. Here, the clubs get their profit from building youth brands for gullible parents, which leads to selection of the wrong player types (big, fast, no skill for wins today), poor player development, wasted talent washed out of the system, etc. Conversion to a more European model with MLS subsidy and taking parents out of the equation would help reduce club politics from daddy coaches to parent board members and biased selection processes (which is obviously parent driven). Other changes like leagues with promotion/relegation for older age groups required too. Clubs that dont develop players will not sell players, be relegated to lower leagues, and wash out of the system. Today, in the US, they perpetuate year after year with slick sales tactics (e.g. gotsoccer points with visiting players and other funny business).
    I agree w/ you about all you say about youth soccer. But, I am discussing the style of play in the MLS. Not youth soccer. You have a noticeably sloppy, physical, super attack oriented style. There are many internationals in the MLS that can play a different way. I think the league is looking for a fast, physical style because they think we like it that way. All the things you say may be true, but I am discussing something else. Last night I was flipping channels between Montreal v. DC United and Real Sociedad v. Alaves and the contrast in style was striking.

Comment

You dont understand. The fact that MLS has nothing to do with our youth soccer model is the problem - it is WHY it is pay-to-play instead of subsidized like the clubs in Europe. When the clubs take the parents and parent $$$ out of the equation as in Europe (where youth soccer is free for players), the clubs get their profit from developing and selling players. Here, the clubs get their profit from building youth brands for gullible parents, which leads to selection of the wrong player types (big, fast, no skill for wins today), poor player development, wasted talent washed out of the system, etc. Conversion to a more European model with MLS subsidy and taking parents out of the equation would help reduce club politics from daddy coaches to parent board members and biased selection processes (which is obviously parent driven). Other changes like leagues with promotion/relegation for older age groups required too. Clubs that dont develop players will not sell players, be relegated to lower leagues, and wash out of the system. Today, in the US, they perpetuate year after year with slick sales tactics (e.g. gotsoccer points with visiting players and other funny business).
      This will not happen in the next few years
      MLS clubs make very little profit, they can't sell players they can't profit. In the USA this model will not happen. Do you see nba NFL NHL academies NO WAY. Unfortunately us soccer copies the model of other us sports. Orlando city is trying to do that but at the end they will realize it is cheaper to just buy players. The investment is not worth it money wise
      A league that has an average attendance of 22,000 isa poor league

Comment

I agree w/ you about all you say about youth soccer. But, I am discussing the style of play in the MLS. Not youth soccer. You have a noticeably sloppy, physical, super attack oriented style. There are many internationals in the MLS that can play a different way. I think the league is looking for a fast, physical style because they think we like it that way. All the things you say may be true, but I am discussing something else. Last night I was flipping channels between Montreal v. DC United and Real Sociedad v. Alaves and the contrast in style was striking.
        You can't compare. I took my son to train with a 3rd Div team in Spain and the training methods and intensity were abysmally different from here. It's even better in 2nd and 1st Div. with of course better players and competition.

Like the guy you just responded to, he's absolutely right about everything he said. In any serious youth team in Europe if you don't perform you are out. Why ? Because there's 40-50 other kids ready to fill your position at any time. This brings a lot of intensity and seriousness to each practice as every player's future is on the line every week. The club's future is also on the line cause they live to develop players and sell them.

Here in the U.S they don't give a crap as long as they have your money. I know kids in my son's team who regularly miss practices during the week but then start on their matches on the weekend. You miss even one practice in Europe without the authorization of the coach and you'll sit on the weekend or get kicked off the team if it happens again.

I don't see anything changing here in the US anytime soon. And it's laughable to me that all these DA's popping up all over the place and they take your money as well and most have no clue how to develop players. This is one reason we left a local DA. The coaches and methods were not any better than another good club in the area.

And don't get me going about scouting. The only scouts are College coaches looking for a decent player with great grades so they don't have to put out so much money. They might be a few here and there in DA's but most kids ain't going anywhere. Even if you're a great player you won't get a scholarship without a great GPA and SAT/ACT scores. So what's a great youth talent to do under these circumstances, they usually slip through the cracks.

It's unfortunate but if your son wants to play real soccer and get to the next level it won't happen here...

Comment

You can't compare. I took my son to train with a 3rd Div team in Spain and the training methods and intensity were abysmally different from here. It's even better in 2nd and 1st Div. with of course better players and competition.

Like the guy you just responded to, he's absolutely right about everything he said. In any serious youth team in Europe if you don't perform you are out. Why ? Because there's 40-50 other kids ready to fill your position at any time. This brings a lot of intensity and seriousness to each practice as every player's future is on the line every week. The club's future is also on the line cause they live to develop players and sell them.

Here in the U.S they don't give a crap as long as they have your money. I know kids in my son's team who regularly miss practices during the week but then start on their matches on the weekend. You miss even one practice in Europe without the authorization of the coach and you'll sit on the weekend or get kicked off the team if it happens again.

I don't see anything changing here in the US anytime soon. And it's laughable to me that all these DA's popping up all over the place and they take your money as well and most have no clue how to develop players. This is one reason we left a local DA. The coaches and methods were not any better than another good club in the area.

And don't get me going about scouting. The only scouts are College coaches looking for a decent player with great grades so they don't have to put out so much money. They might be a few here and there in DA's but most kids ain't going anywhere. Even if you're a great player you won't get a scholarship without a great GPA and SAT/ACT scores. So what's a great youth talent to do under these circumstances, they usually slip through the cracks.

It's unfortunate but if your son wants to play real soccer and get to the next level it won't happen here...
          I agree which is why I find the crazy soccer parents we have here just laughable. If it means so much, move. for those of us that love the sport, most of the youth soccer that is played here is an eyesore. I would rather watch my son's team lose playing quickly with good off the ball movement and 2/3 touch play than win by long ball. I am def in the minority.

Comment

I agree which is why I find the crazy soccer parents we have here just laughable. If it means so much, move. for those of us that love the sport, most of the youth soccer that is played here is an eyesore. I would rather watch my son's team lose playing quickly with good off the ball movement and 2/3 touch play than win by long ball. I am def in the minority.
            They're made crazy partly by the system that tries to train too many players that shouldn't be there (and trains them poorly to the other poster's point). Doesn't help that college is increasinly unaffordable for many so parents are hoping/praying/willing to do just about anything to help pay for it.

Comment

You are a bit off, in Europe, youth soccer is not free for all players, it is only free for the best players...

Comment

You are a bit off, in Europe, youth soccer is not free for all players, it is only free for the best players...
                My son has participated in international tournaments in Europe. There are many levels. It is common for a club to give you something if your kid is good. The best of course pay nothing and get picked up with drivers from school. But even just a good kid may be approached with some money to sign for a local club.

you have of course the professional clubs that sign kids that are unbelievable. But below this level there are many, many clubs - some quite good - that pay something for the kid to play with them. Many of these clubs feed into barsa, Milan, villareal, etc.

So, yes, some kids pay. But if your kid is paying $2000 a year to play soccer in Europe, your kid is not so good. Any player that is sort of good gets some incentive to play with a feeder club, even if they are not with the top professional (la liga/serie A) clubs.

Our system is not at all like the system in spain and Italy.

Comment

I blame the coach and the lack of a playing philosophy and not understanding the game on that problem. It's what I'm saying, poor technical and tactical skills.

The real culprit is that we start out in rec ball putting our best player at forward and sending the ball to them so we can win a U8 rec game. Then we have a ton of "travel" clubs because it is lucrative. So the competitive side grows and there aren't enough coaches so those rec coaches who scream pass it and keep sending the big kid forward are now theoretically developing players. And those players who have been taught to run fast and score on a break away have no skills to handle the ball when everyone else catches up to them.

Comment

Not our experience ... my child played in three different divisions in two countries and we never paid a dime.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                    Auto-Saved
                    x
                    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                    x
                    Working...
                    X