Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How could a coach know the trajectory at so young age?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a coach I decide on the parents attitude. the fact that you are asking this question tells me why you will not be part of my team next year. unfortunately neither will your child.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      As a coach I decide on the parents attitude. the fact that you are asking this question tells me why you will not be part of my team next year. unfortunately neither will your child.
      Please remember it is the children's positive attitudes that matter. The Coaches tell them positive attitudes invite positive results. And that their positive attitudes make a difference on and off the field. Don't make their parents' attitudes determine negative results for the children. I've seen too many great coaches kick kids off teams for their parents. I believe if you are a great club and great coach, you are there to teach the kids and be a positive influence for them. Some of the kids with the craziest parents, need a positive coach and the soccer the most. A coach who punishes a player because of a negative parent is being just as negative to the player.

Comment

Please remember it is the children's positive attitudes that matter. The Coaches tell them positive attitudes invite positive results. And that their positive attitudes make a difference on and off the field. Don't make their parents' attitudes determine negative results for the children. I've seen too many great coaches kick kids off teams for their parents. I believe if you are a great club and great coach, you are there to teach the kids and be a positive influence for them. Some of the kids with the craziest parents, need a positive coach and the soccer the most. A coach who punishes a player because of a negative parent is being just as negative to the player.
        Not the poster, and while I generally agree with what you are saying there are times when a coach has little choice - particularly if a parent is simply un-manageable or their presence is causing too much bad mojo among the players and parents. A coach has to manage an entire team, not just one family. Like it or not this is a business, not a charity, and coaches and clubs have to look out for the majority of their customers.

Signed - have seen a few nutjob parents ousted over the years, much to everyone's relief

Comment

Not the poster, and while I generally agree with what you are saying there are times when a coach has little choice - particularly if a parent is simply un-manageable or their presence is causing too much bad mojo among the players and parents. A coach has to manage an entire team, not just one family. Like it or not this is a business, not a charity, and coaches and clubs have to look out for the majority of their customers.

Signed - have seen a few nutjob parents ousted over the years, much to everyone's relief
          I have seen the players who were forced out to lose confidence and be greatly missed by their teammates. The coach, the dictator, who knows all and never makes mistakes. I've seen two coaches get yellow cards in the last week. But I've seen a coach dismiss a parent and his kid for less. Try the appropriate resolution methods, talking to the parent and then having the club talk to the parent before ousting the player who often never knows they were ousted because of a parent's behavior.

Comment

I have seen the players who were forced out to lose confidence and be greatly missed by their teammates. The coach, the dictator, who knows all and never makes mistakes. I've seen two coaches get yellow cards in the last week. But I've seen a coach dismiss a parent and his kid for less. Try the appropriate resolution methods, talking to the parent and then having the club talk to the parent before ousting the player who often never knows they were ousted because of a parent's behavior.
            Another poster - I've seen a few tossed over the years. Often times the kid isn't much better than the offending parent. As the other poster said it comes as a relief. If a parent can't control themselves, even when their player is at risk, then they have some serious issues. It's unfortunate for the player but it is a business - always remember that - not a Disney movie

Comment

you can't is the answer. great video to help you relate to our current youth soccer programs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX_c7W5RNJ8

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugN5...U#t=112.499378

One more to add that reminds me of youth sports coaches.

Comment

you can't is the answer. great video to help you relate to our current youth soccer programs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX_c7W5RNJ8
                  Can just imagine a round table of coaches and docs picking the DA or ECNL teams!. We can't get this one from ECNL and we'll take those from club c .

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugN5...U#t=112.499378

One more to add that reminds me of youth sports coaches.
                    Love this. The ones who don't have faith in players or the ones who feel the pressure to win in club soccer or else!

Comment

Another poster - I've seen a few tossed over the years. Often times the kid isn't much better than the offending parent. As the other poster said it comes as a relief. If a parent can't control themselves, even when their player is at risk, then they have some serious issues. It's unfortunate for the player but it is a business - always remember that - not a Disney movie
                      It is about the kids and the good should prevail over BS coaches or their parents. If the player is trouble then that's another movie.

Comment

I understand your point, and you're right, scoring a goal now and again doesn't prove anything, it does indeed depend on the team, but I still disagree on the broader point of who you would rather have on your roster at that age in a realistic scenario. I have this conversation at tryouts every year when a junior coach sees a player miss chance after chance and wants to reject them without asking how it is they managed to be in the right place for so many more chances than other players.

Of course you are right. If two players are handed 12 identical chances that they did nothing to create and one scores one and another scores six, the kid with six goals is a better player. I would pick them too. But that scenario is largely fake. Where the striker is, what runs they make, how they move the defender, how they time their movement, their feel for where the ball will arrive and when, how aggressive they are in getting past challenges, all contribute to how many actual chances that striker gets. More in many ways than the ability of their team-mates. And if they are really getting 12 chances in a game they would be working all of this out in a way that their team-mates can plainly see and work with. That stuff is hard. (And I know you aren't really disagreeing with me on this, but it's a pet peeve)

So while I love a player at this age who can craft 3 chances and score twice and that player can absolutely become elite with that kind of ratio, I really really love a player who can craft 12 (even if they only score once) because it's likely to be easier in the end to get the 12-chance player to convert more often than it is to get the 3-chance player to create more. There are just so many more moving parts you need to help them with.

I'm not really arguing which one is better - and I was careful to say "at this age" - but which one it would be easier to develop into a truly elite player. They could both make it... but I'm lazy I guess!
                        Tryouts can give a false impression of the new player who comes in and looks like a game changer. Players can have a good tryout, but be lazy in their work ethic to improve. But many coaches don't know what they are looking for and are too lazy to find out if the new is better than an old player, or could he develop both.

Comment

It is about the kids and the good should prevail over BS coaches or their parents. If the player is trouble then that's another movie.
                          lol if you think club are all about the kids then you should remove yourself from youth soccer altogether. Clubs are businesses first and foremost. Always remember that because it drives 98% of their decision making, including showing troublesome parents the door.

Comment

lol if you think club are all about the kids then you should remove yourself from youth soccer altogether. Clubs are businesses first and foremost. Always remember that because it drives 98% of their decision making, including showing troublesome parents the door.
                            Players and parents know when they aren't putting the players first and show themselves out the door.

Comment

OP here again. Ok, she started and played most of the minutes, like normal.
                              So, she is a bubble player and the coach must see potential to allow her to play so much.
                              But I have to assume that she will not make the team next year and plan accordingly, which will be time consuming with all the information gathering I have to do.
                              But now, I am glad that he was honest with us about her situation, albeit 5 months late,
                              rather than telling us at next year's tryouts. Gives us some time to find another club
                              and get her some help. Guess I am in the 5th stage of grief, acceptance. Thanks again.

Comment

OP here again. Ok, she started and played most of the minutes, like normal.
                                So, she is a bubble player and the coach must see potential to allow her to play so much.
                                But I have to assume that she will not make the team next year and plan accordingly, which will be time consuming with all the information gathering I have to do.
                                But now, I am glad that he was honest with us about her situation, albeit 5 months late,
                                rather than telling us at next year's tryouts. Gives us some time to find another club
                                and get her some help. Guess I am in the 5th stage of grief, acceptance. Thanks again.
                                Honesty with you before tryouts is respected but has he talked to the player. They may evaluate her differently come tryouts. It will be good to have options if she does not make the team.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X