Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How could a coach know the trajectory at so young age?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is most baffling is the players who break a leg or who are rehabilitating from ACL surgery and the coach keeps them on the team to recover over players who can make a difference. Also baffling is the number of players with ACL injuries who get little playing time on their club team and don't make a difference for their club team, but get recruited by D1 colleges.

Comment

You never know what some of those club or college coaches are looking for. Seen players get pushed around like light weight rag dolls and make no impact on their club team but get picked up for a top team. Perhaps they see future potential. The players should hang in there and work hard and see how they develop. Some players open their packages later than others. And some coaches notice their gifts and others don't.

Comment

You have to have the environment influencing the genes. Player do not have a fixed prior ability but expertise will come with the right practice and effort. It is impossible to see what a player can accomplish with the right training, hard work and passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          What is most baffling is the players who break a leg or who are rehabilitating from ACL surgery and the coach keeps them on the team to recover over players who can make a difference. Also baffling is the number of players with ACL injuries who get little playing time on their club team and don't make a difference for their club team, but get recruited by D1 colleges.
          Just because they get recruited doesn't mean they'll play much (if at all) or get any athletic $. There's also no telling what a college coach sees in them. Especially on the girls side there's a lot of roster spots out there to fill.

As for cutting injured players? That's pretty cold dawg. How would you like it if it happened to your kid. This isn't the pros; it's youth soccer. Clubs may be a business but they have about one ounce of decency in them. BTW I have seen injured players who were already at the bottom of the roster get cut, but never a starter - nor should they be.

Comment

Just because they get recruited doesn't mean they'll play much (if at all) or get any athletic $. There's also no telling what a college coach sees in them. Especially on the girls side there's a lot of roster spots out there to fill.

As for cutting injured players? That's pretty cold dawg. How would you like it if it happened to your kid. This isn't the pros; it's youth soccer. Clubs may be a business but they have about one ounce of decency in them. BTW I have seen injured players who were already at the bottom of the roster get cut, but never a starter - nor should they be.
            It can happen to anyone at any time, but give the players a place and space to rest and recover. Let them practice with the team when the ACL is better. But letting go of others who are better at tryouts and saving a roster spot for a player for a year is cold wrong. Know a goal keeper #3 kept on a roster to keep her, but she is injured and hasn't played one game. In a year bring them back onto the roster as number 22 when their ACL is healed.

Comment

It can happen to anyone at any time, but give the players a place and space to rest and recover. Let them practice with the team when the ACL is better. But letting go of others who are better at tryouts and saving a roster spot for a player for a year is cold wrong. Know a goal keeper #3 kept on a roster to keep her, but she is injured and hasn't played one game. In a year bring them back onto the roster as number 22 when their ACL is healed.
              Totally disagree and you would as well if it were your player. Seems like you're disgruntled that your kid wasn't given a spot over someone who was already on the team but was injured. The only injured players that should be cut are the ones who were bench warmers pre-injury. This isn't the NFL

- not the op

Comment

Honesty with you before tryouts is respected but has he talked to the player. They may evaluate her differently come tryouts. It will be good to have options if she does not make the team.
                Many coaches are cowards. They won't say anything or even talk to the player directly, let alone the parent who pays the bill.

You will want to be at the new team tryout on the first day of tryouts. Not the 2nd or 3rd day.

Comment

Totally disagree and you would as well if it were your player. Seems like you're disgruntled that your kid wasn't given a spot over someone who was already on the team but was injured. The only injured players that should be cut are the ones who were bench warmers pre-injury. This isn't the NFL

- not the op
                  Depends on the injury. ACL takes a year to be back to where they were.

Comment

At least not as an injured freshman. With 35 to 40 on college rosters these days they will be the practice squad players. Nothing wrong with that until they are healthy and more experienced.

Comment

- not the op
                      Could be a benefit to be injured around tryouts. When a better starter comes along at tryouts then there won't be comparison because clubs look out for the injured.

Comment

Would agree. Might keep you on the team but doesn't guarantee you won't be a bench player

Comment

Lately have witnessed a ton of players with severe injuries who sit the bench for club or high school because of severe injuries like back or knee injuries or multiple concussions. Why are they getting top D1 college offers as sophomores or juniors when they can't show it on the field?

Comment

Switching clubs again...

OP here again. Ok, she started and played most of the minutes, like normal.
                            So, she is a bubble player and the coach must see potential to allow her to play so much.
                            But I have to assume that she will not make the team next year and plan accordingly, which will be time consuming with all the information gathering I have to do.
                            But now, I am glad that he was honest with us about her situation, albeit 5 months late,
                            rather than telling us at next year's tryouts. Gives us some time to find another club
                            and get her some help. Guess I am in the 5th stage of grief, acceptance. Thanks again.
                            OP here again. She made the ODP pool, where many of her teammates did not.
                            Coach approached us and congratulated her. I wasn't going to say anything, but hard
                            to keep that a secret. I hired a trainer to work with her and she is progressing well.
                            I appreciate the truthfulness of the coach, but at the same time, I do not trust him or rather, I want to have options for my kid. My D wants to stay with the team, but I am cautious. I am worried that the coach will always see her as a bubble player, although
                            she made ODP. Another coach with fresh eyes can see her without the stigma.
                            My d really clicked with the ODP coach and assistants, so that is promising.

Is there some other way I can see this? Thanks again.

Comment

OP here again. She made the ODP pool, where many of her teammates did not.
                              Coach approached us and congratulated her. I wasn't going to say anything, but hard
                              to keep that a secret. I hired a trainer to work with her and she is progressing well.
                              I appreciate the truthfulness of the coach, but at the same time, I do not trust him or rather, I want to have options for my kid. My D wants to stay with the team, but I am cautious. I am worried that the coach will always see her as a bubble player, although
                              she made ODP. Another coach with fresh eyes can see her without the stigma.
                              My d really clicked with the ODP coach and assistants, so that is promising.

Is there some other way I can see this? Thanks again.
                              Trust your Spidey sense when it comes to coaches. However, you also need to try and be unbiased in your assessment of her skills. Most parents are not. they end up dragging their kids from club to club, hoping one will finally "get" their kid. It almost always ends badly. Just have her do her thing and work hard for the rest of the year. Explore other options for other teams before tryout season ramps up, take her to other team practices to see if it's a better fit and you like the coaching. If you can't leave or she really doesn't want to leave, there's also a good chance the coach will be different next year.

Comment

First year playing at a top premier club, pre-ECNL age. She scored about 1/3 of all goals, including quite a few game winners, from summer tournaments to current fall league.
                                We thought everything was going well. Btw, she isn't a huge brute girl. Other girls
                                are bigger and stronger than her. Also, I am not an ahole dad. I keep out of the way
                                and keep my head down.

Then, there was a special event that only about half of the best players could go attend,
                                but she was not invited. This is basically a pre-invitation to ECNL.
                                Not a very good night for her. :(

I talked to the coach and asked him what she needed to work on to get better.
                                He acknowledge that she helped the team win by making many goals. She has superb
                                technical skills with both feet, best on the team, great passing and finisher. But she was weak tactically and soccer IQ. Without these skills, she would not make an ECNL team.
                                He said that he knew these weaknesses coming in and he brought her in as a developmental player.

I was floored, like a kick in the nuts. I had no idea that she was a developmental player.
                                He didn't tell me this coming in or mention the weaknesses. He has a good reputation
                                as a coach of top level teams. He doesn't want her to leave, but did I miss the memo about being a developmental player with weaknesses with difficultly of making the ECNL team?

How could he know the trajectory at so young age?
                                My wife thinks it is political bs going on with other kids parents.
                                I think he is asking her to leave and giving us some time to make a transition to another club.

Is it that hard to get help with her tactical skills? How can she develop better soccer IQ?
                                After 5 months of seeing her play and practice, I would think that he could have
                                a sit down with her and talk about how to help her, without this drama.
                                Maybe I am expecting too much. Is he doing us a favor now? She was recruited by
                                other clubs, but switching isn't the issue. I want to find out what we can do help her.
                                I am really confused by this situation.
                                Coach is an aholle. Small peepee, no professional accomplishments. Find a real team.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X