Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It takes about 6 years to develop in the formative years!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reality is many kids are out of shape because fewer schools actually have PE any longer, or they just do it a few token days a week. Practicing 2-3 days a week for 1.5 hours isn't enough either. In an ideal world kids would do more physical training on their own be we know that won't happen.

Comment

run barry run

Comment

The reality is they should do both, it's the club's responsibility to keep their players in good shape and also learn tactical work and technique drills. I haven't been impressed with any coach I've seen in S. FL and been doing this for 7 yrs with my kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          The reality is they should do both, it's the club's responsibility to keep their players in good shape and also learn tactical work and technique drills. I haven't been impressed with any coach I've seen in S. FL and been doing this for 7 yrs with my kids.
          there are a few quality coaches. maybe you've had bad luck bud

Comment

When most teams only practice 2-3 days per week at 1.5 hours per session coaches don't have time to do both. So they pick the soccer skills over fitness. That is what they're supposed to be good at theoretically. Anyone can have them run sprints.

Comment

there are a few quality coaches. maybe you've had bad luck bud
              I've been everywhere bud, not only here but all over the country and Europe too. I know what I'm talking about bud....

Comment

run barry run
                My dog can run, but he can't play soccer.

Comment

6 years? ever heard of the 10,000 hour rule ;)
                  Dr. Anders Ericsson's theory that 10,000 Hours of deliberate practice is needed to achieve expertise has been refuted multiple times in the scientific literature.

Comment

not every place has a DOC that supervises. sometimes the DOC himself likes physical training.

take for example those beach practices that most coaches love. if u ask me running on the beach or up a bridge should be handled on the players own time, according to a workout schedule that the coach provides to each player. if a player does not follow, it's their loss. taking a group of 15 year olds running on the beach is what you do when you do not have proper practice facility and./or are lazy and do not want to come up with a training plan.
                    Of course, developing soccer specific fitness is a lot more complicated than that. Running on the beach together, or on your own time will not develop soccer specific fitness, it will develop fitness for beach running. Most coaches do not know how to do this and most fitness trainers don`t know how to do it in soccer specific ways. Even more problem is that the whole youth soccer system, from USSF, through the state associations disallow the implementation of correct practices by their rules about squad size, rules regarding playing up, or playing down, and by the way competition in leagues and tournaments are scheduled. Wholesale changes are urgently needed in youth soccer.

Comment

When most teams only practice 2-3 days per week at 1.5 hours per session coaches don't have time to do both. So they pick the soccer skills over fitness. That is what they're supposed to be good at theoretically. Anyone can have them run sprints.
                      There are well developed methods to combine fitness training with skill training and learning tactics.

Comment

Originally posted by Just a Coach View Post
                        There are well developed methods to combine fitness training with skill training and learning tactics.
                        That is correct. The coaches I've seen either are too lazy or don't have enough knowledge as to how to combine intensity with tactical training that works both fitness, skills and tactics. This is why there are only a handful of decent teams in FL and even then there are no truly skillful mids or forwards.

And in the absence of these skills, they default to big strong and fast....that's US soccer in a nutshell. Sorry for the reality check...

Comment

That is correct. The coaches I've seen either are too lazy or don't have enough knowledge as to how to combine intensity with tactical training that works both fitness, skills and tactics. This is why there are only a handful of decent teams in FL and even then there are no truly skillful mids or forwards.

And in the absence of these skills, they default to big strong and fast....that's US soccer in a nutshell. Sorry for the reality check...
                          u.s. soccer ... MLS has taken major strides, but still ... the skill and play in Real Sociedad v. Alaves greatly exceeds anything you see in the MLS. do we play a different style of soccer? why is our style so sloppy at the highest level - MLS - and so different from what you see internationally?

Comment

u.s. soccer ... MLS has taken major strides, but still ... the skill and play in Real Sociedad v. Alaves greatly exceeds anything you see in the MLS. do we play a different style of soccer? why is our style so sloppy at the highest level - MLS - and so different from what you see internationally?
                            Because of pay-to-play youth soccer model and associated perverse incentives...

Comment

Because of pay-to-play youth soccer model and associated perverse incentives...
                              I don't buy it. MLS has nothing to do with our youth soccer model. I think they are told by the MLS powers that be to play a very attack oriented, physical style of play b/c the powers that be at MLS think that is what americans want.

Comment

I don't buy it. MLS has nothing to do with our youth soccer model. I think they are told by the MLS powers that be to play a very attack oriented, physical style of play b/c the powers that be at MLS think that is what americans want.
                                You dont understand. The fact that MLS has nothing to do with our youth soccer model is the problem - it is WHY it is pay-to-play instead of subsidized like the clubs in Europe. When the clubs take the parents and parent $$$ out of the equation as in Europe (where youth soccer is free for players), the clubs get their profit from developing and selling players. Here, the clubs get their profit from building youth brands for gullible parents, which leads to selection of the wrong player types (big, fast, no skill for wins today), poor player development, wasted talent washed out of the system, etc. Conversion to a more European model with MLS subsidy and taking parents out of the equation would help reduce club politics from daddy coaches to parent board members and biased selection processes (which is obviously parent driven). Other changes like leagues with promotion/relegation for older age groups required too. Clubs that dont develop players will not sell players, be relegated to lower leagues, and wash out of the system. Today, in the US, they perpetuate year after year with slick sales tactics (e.g. gotsoccer points with visiting players and other funny business).

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X