Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scholarship money

Picking up from another thread can anyone talk more about scholarship money? Looks like only a handful of both boys and girls from NH go on to play division 1 in college and another handful play division 2 and a few division 3. I’ve heard stories from people in our club about past players and money given and I’ve also heard people say scholarship money is pretty rare. Anyone with experience care to weigh in? We are looking ahead for our middle school age daughter.

For women's programs there are a maximum of 14 scholarships for a DI team, 9.9 for DII, 12 for NAIA programs and a fully funded NJCAA program has up to 18 scholarships per team. Men's soccer can offer 9.9 scholarships per team DI, 9 per team DII, 12 at the NAIA level and 18 scholarships per team for NJCAAA programs.

https://www.collegesportsscholarships.com/soccer.htm

If you are looking ahead with your middle school daughter and are considering a scholarship opportunity, it would be wiser financially to not consider soccer. Your ROI with spending upwards of $50k for clubs for scholarship savings is, well, risky at best.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Picking up from another thread can anyone talk more about scholarship money? Looks like only a handful of both boys and girls from NH go on to play division 1 in college and another handful play division 2 and a few division 3. I’ve heard stories from people in our club about past players and money given and I’ve also heard people say scholarship money is pretty rare. Anyone with experience care to weigh in? We are looking ahead for our middle school age daughter.
      If you are hoping for money you have your kid in soccer for all the wrong reasons. If it works out that she gets a few dollars to play at the SCHOOL she loves then she's won the lottery. But that should never be the goal.

Comment

For women's programs there are a maximum of 14 scholarships for a DI team, 9.9 for DII, 12 for NAIA programs and a fully funded NJCAA program has up to 18 scholarships per team. Men's soccer can offer 9.9 scholarships per team DI, 9 per team DII, 12 at the NAIA level and 18 scholarships per team for NJCAAA programs.

https://www.collegesportsscholarships.com/soccer.htm

If you are looking ahead with your middle school daughter and are considering a scholarship opportunity, it would be wiser financially to not consider soccer. Your ROI with spending upwards of $50k for clubs for scholarship savings is, well, risky at best.
        Spend your money on tutors and test prep, not a personal trainer. You can often get much more money for academics than athletics. As long as you keep up your GPA the athletic money stays all four years; athletic money can go away (unless you're in a Power 5 conference where it's guaranteed). Always keep your grades up; never hope that a sport will help pay for college.

Comment

No athletic money in D3; only merit for financial aid
          D2 money isn't great but the tuitions tend to be lower. D2 also tends to have poorer academics
          D1 - very few will get anything close to a full ride; girls might typically get in the 30-55% range, some a little more, some much less. Think of it like a bell curve.

Comment

Don't listen to these folks. Lots of sports scholies especially for girl soccer players.
            Full rides! Really. Refi your house to get more money for super Elite soccer.
            Yes, spend money on private lessons. Lots of money. Buy her those $300+ cleats.
            Yes. Don't save any money for school. Put it all in soccer. Let it ride! Yeah!

Comment

As a dad of a player going to play DI next year the coach was upfront that athletic money is tied to impact on a team. He tends not to give freshman money, but as you earn more play time he offers more $'s.

Comment

As a dad of a player going to play DI next year the coach was upfront that athletic money is tied to impact on a team. He tends not to give freshman money, but as you earn more play time he offers more $'s.
                More programs are going to this model, and from the coach's/school's perspective it's very smart. Prove yourself and you get $. However, for most it's still the old school route and in general the more they think you'll be an impact players the more you'll get. However, to the OP you need to do what others have said - emphasize academics, not sports, as the means to a better college education.

Comment

The typical DI men’s program carries 25+ players with 10 scholarships. Makes sense to see who proves able to add value then allocate $’s.

Comment

Don’t listen to the naysayers. My daughter earned a D1 scholarship and is getting a sizable amount of money as a freshman.

Comment

Don’t listen to the naysayers. My daughter earned a D1 scholarship and is getting a sizable amount of money as a freshman.
                      Congrats.

Facts are facts:

Comment

Congrats.

Facts are facts:

Facts are facts. It’s possible. We did it.

Comment

Facts are facts. It’s possible. We did it.
                          And, congrats again.

It's difficult, so one should plan accordingly.

Comment

And, congrats again.

Especially if you have a boy. There's little to money, fewer programs and fewer spots. Start socking away $ in a 529 and make sure he studies hard. Pay for a good test tutor.

Comment

And, congrats again.

Yes it’s difficult. I guess I have a chip about it because it’s possible and many will try and bring you down and even laugh if you even casually bring up possible aspirations of your child. My advice is you have to know your son or daughter is that good. They have to be playing ECNL/DA and be one of the top players on the team. They have to be easily recognized on their high school teams as the best player, they have to go to college Id clinics and have the coach pull them aside and then call their coach that night. They have to be that good. Not just decent, not just a big fish in a small pond, but that good. If you see that at 14 or 15 then yes it’s possible.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X