Oakwood's Catastrophic Failure on the National Level

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While commitments aren't the be all end all, it is a piece of why families gravitate to certain clubs. If you're thinking about OW or GDA and are considering what you have to give up to participate, then I think the list is very relevant. If everyone is happy with their choices that is all that matters. But it begs the question if most had to give up high school to get there?

Different poster

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      While commitments aren't the be all end all, it is a piece of why families gravitate to certain clubs. If you're thinking about OW or GDA and are considering what you have to give up to participate, then I think the list is very relevant. If everyone is happy with their choices that is all that matters. But it begs the question if most had to give up high school to get there?

Different poster
      And why is giving up high school soccer such a big sacrifice? 2 1/2 months of mediocre soccer at best.

Comment

High school soccer is more about the experience of playing with your friends and enjoying the game. Playing in front of your school with the town behind you. Some of your best memories are from high school athletics. Not club. Club gets you tonthe next level. High school is a lot of fun

Comment

And why is giving up high school soccer such a big sacrifice? 2 1/2 months of mediocre soccer at best.
          If it is mediocre, why is it that your kid rarely sees the field in a high school game, you ****ing chucklehead.

Comment

If it was only that more would give it up. To many it is a substantial sacrifice. Is it worth giving up for mediocre coaching, competition and commitments?

Comment

Club is a business. It is in Oakwood's best interest to make people believe that high school soccer stinks and that players who want to play in college should never play it. Ironically, every college coach always has asked about the high school experience and ask all students athletes who don't play Academy thoughtful questions as to why they like playing for their schooll? Ironically, the answers usually equate with wanting to play for the college team in a similar way or fashion. You can't blame the Oakwood parents. They are taught to believe this from the start. Problem is they have no idea of the world that exists outside of Oakwood.

Comment

If it is mediocre, why is it that your kid rarely sees the field in a high school game, you ****ing chucklehead.
                because she plays ecnl. so she isn't talented enough for varsity

Comment

Club is a business. It is in Oakwood's best interest to make people believe that high school soccer stinks and that players who want to play in college should never play it. Ironically, every college coach always has asked about the high school experience and ask all students athletes who don't play Academy thoughtful questions as to why they like playing for their schooll? Ironically, the answers usually equate with wanting to play for the college team in a similar way or fashion. You can't blame the Oakwood parents. They are taught to believe this from the start. Problem is they have no idea of the world that exists outside of Oakwood.
                  Filling out an application for a college soccer program. Asks me to choose which Club I was with. HS not on the application (for the soccer, not the school itself). Only DA clubs were listed. I was able to choose "Other" and populate it.

Congratulations to the "others".

Comment

High school soccer is more about the experience of playing with your friends and enjoying the game. Playing in front of your school with the town behind you. Some of your best memories are from high school athletics. Not club. Club gets you tonthe next level. High school is a lot of fun
                    i think you miss the point of some of the clubs like OW. Their friends are on their club team. Look at the birthday parties, etc. Most of those friends are from the soccer teams, with a spattering of friends from town. It's the same with pretty much any club. Because they spend most of their "fun" time with those kids. So missing high school isn't as much a big deal as you're making it out to be. And "yes" I played high school soccer. And "no" some of my best memories aren't from the 8 months of soccer out of the 4 years in high school. If they were, that's pretty sad.

Comment

Filling out an application for what?

Comment

Different poster
                        Why does it beg that question at all?

Do clubs actually play a significant role in college placement in this era? Or are they just marketing on some outdated perception of what people think it takes to get onto a college roster?

Can you say for certain that participation in high school soccer would still get these players in those colleges? Can you say for certain that participation in the GDA got those players into those colleges?

If so, what is your evidence to back your claim?

Comment

Is it mediocre soccer at best? Or is that just the case at your kid's school?

Do you actually know why kids choose to play high school soccer?

Comment

And your claim is that high school soccer doesn't get you to the next level?

Should I tell that to the four seniors from our school, who never played for CFC, OW or FSA, that those colleges they will be attending next fall and playing soccer for, is merely some illusion on their part?

Comment

i think you miss the point of some of the clubs like OW. Their friends are on their club team. Look at the birthday parties, etc. Most of those friends are from the soccer teams, with a spattering of friends from town. It's the same with pretty much any club. Because they spend most of their "fun" time with those kids. So missing high school isn't as much a big deal as you're making it out to be. And "yes" I played high school soccer. And "no" some of my best memories aren't from the 8 months of soccer out of the 4 years in high school. If they were, that's pretty sad.
                              Not at all what happens with my kids whatsoever. The majority of their closer friends and time are from town. They have a few teammates they are close with but don't really socialize with them outside of the soccer setting, just chat a lot or hang when there's soccer. Part of that is driven by geography (kids are from all over) but also my kids have many other interests outside of soccer.

Of course each kid is different, as is their school program etc. But if HS was so awful for soccer and the experiences, DA would be beating people away with sticks. They're not. They're taking whoever is willing to give up HS not necessarily who is the best, and can write a check (top clubs or MLS excepted).

drop all the quotes - it's very annoying and serves no purpose

Comment

And your claim is that high school soccer doesn't get you to the next level?

Should I tell that to the four seniors from our school, who never played for CFC, OW or FSA, that those colleges they will be attending next fall and playing soccer for, is merely some illusion on their part?
                                Are you saying those players never play at all or just don't play at the big clubs? Players who only do HS ball are rare in college soccer. There's some exceptions but it's very uncommon. Beyond that you don't necessarily need a fancy club or league to play in college. It just makes it easier to be seen. After that it's up to you

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X