Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    hah. I was for a long time a coach at these things. YAWN. That's what the coaches did in your kid's direction. A cattle call
    I have seen large camps where they segmented the 15 true ID players often with kids who were already committed onto different fields and the coaches only watched the ID field. My kid used these when she was already contacted by the coach (through her coach of course) and she was combining an invited visit (scheduled all day with coaches, tour, academic support etc) one day and the camp the next. She was checking out the coaches at these as well as vice versa. She already had an offer or one was forthcoming at these. We felt this was good use of our travel dollars

Comment

I have seen large camps where they segmented the 15 true ID players often with kids who were already committed onto different fields and the coaches only watched the ID field. My kid used these when she was already contacted by the coach (through her coach of course) and she was combining an invited visit (scheduled all day with coaches, tour, academic support etc) one day and the camp the next. She was checking out the coaches at these as well as vice versa. She already had an offer or one was forthcoming at these. We felt this was good use of our travel dollars
      You are a dip and do not even know why.

Comment

We went to the UVA clinic on Sunday, and it was our first top D1 event. The head coach was very helpful by having a parents q&a session, he seemed very honest, and his answers were a wake up call for most, me included. My daughter is new to their radar, so I knew she was a longshot to get into the top group for final scrimmages. She was in the 2nd group, and played very strong, so we shall see. They promised to send feedback to every player, so hopefully they will reach out to her coach. They also said they would give the players a phone number to call so they talk, but I think that is for the top recruits.

The top game had some girls who are already committed, and the speed of play was on another level, but I sure my kid could compete, she just needs a chance.

Comment

We went to the UVA clinic on Sunday, and it was our first top D1 event. The head coach was very helpful by having a parents q&a session, he seemed very honest, and his answers were a wake up call for most, me included. My daughter is new to their radar, so I knew she was a longshot to get into the top group for final scrimmages. She was in the 2nd group, and played very strong, so we shall see. They promised to send feedback to every player, so hopefully they will reach out to her coach. They also said they would give the players a phone number to call so they talk, but I think that is for the top recruits.

The top game had some girls who are already committed, and the speed of play was on another level, but I sure my kid could compete, she just needs a chance.
          I'm a big believer in doing a test run before going full tilt (someone once recommended it for us). Go to one at a local school you don't necessarily care much about just to see what the level is like, how the process works, reduce jitters. Having gone through it now with two kids, not many coaches talk with parents day of an event but are very helpful when you meet with them on campus. Unfortunately at a top program like UVA if your D wasn't in the top group it's unlikely she'll get a call. But it was a good experience for her. Targeting the right level is the key to success.

Comment

I'm a big believer in doing a test run before going full tilt (someone once recommended it for us). Go to one at a local school you don't necessarily care much about just to see what the level is like, how the process works, reduce jitters. Having gone through it now with two kids, not many coaches talk with parents day of an event but are very helpful when you meet with them on campus. Unfortunately at a top program like UVA if your D wasn't in the top group it's unlikely she'll get a call. But it was a good experience for her. Targeting the right level is the key to success.
            Thanks, I agree about finding the right fit. We went went to a local school in the Bronx that is also d1, but my D has wavered on the school, its too close for her, and they are not UVA, not even sure why she is obsessed about it, I could care less. So now we have had a taste of both, and me thinks that somewhere in the middle would be best, but how to convince the buyer?

I have been called delusional, but the fact that this is her first time there, your comment about being out of the loop, might be a little premature. We shall see if she gets to talk to a real human from the school, if she does, is eavesdropping considered rude??

Comment

Thanks, I agree about finding the right fit. We went went to a local school in the Bronx that is also d1, but my D has wavered on the school, its too close for her, and they are not UVA, not even sure why she is obsessed about it, I could care less. So now we have had a taste of both, and me thinks that somewhere in the middle would be best, but how to convince the buyer?

I have been called delusional, but the fact that this is her first time there, your comment about being out of the loop, might be a little premature. We shall see if she gets to talk to a real human from the school, if she does, is eavesdropping considered rude??
              P.S. Just some BG, my D plays for a NY Da team, so I have seen top talent recently, and here goes my delusional thinking, but she can play with those girls, she has, and she held her own, and I have videographer evidence, your Honor!

She gets to play against a UVA commit 2 more times, I think she might play a little harder next time, so on-ward and up-ward....

Comment

P.S. Just some BG, my D plays for a NY Da team, so I have seen top talent recently, and here goes my delusional thinking, but she can play with those girls, she has, and she held her own, and I have videographer evidence, your Honor!

She gets to play against a UVA commit 2 more times, I think she might play a little harder next time, so on-ward and up-ward....
                No disrespect but at that level they dont want kids that can hold their own though. They want the kids pushing it and making it hard for the others to hang on. If a kid is not in the too group for most of the clinic then they are not likely at all. Do you know how many kids that were there that already got signed? Many more signed a were not there. Its highly likely that they were looking for only 1 or 2 more kids for partials from the top group for the class 2020 at this point.

Comment

No disrespect but at that level they dont want kids that can hold their own though. They want the kids pushing it and making it hard for the others to hang on. If a kid is not in the too group for most of the clinic then they are not likely at all. Do you know how many kids that were there that already got signed? Many more signed a were not there. Its highly likely that they were looking for only 1 or 2 more kids for partials from the top group for the class 2020 at this point.
                  Not necessarily true. UVA are not big on super early recruiting. Tend to be quality over quantity as well. Look at the incoming 2018 class.

Comment

Not necessarily true. UVA are not big on super early recruiting. Tend to be quality over quantity as well. Look at the incoming 2018 class.
                    The quality gets scooped up quickly by others and recruiting now for class of 2020 is not that early my friend ..... not for a top school and program.

Comment

Also, tangentially, it depends on what you're looking for. If your kid can "hang" and is lucky enough to get in to UVA, will she actually ever play? Or is she a practice player that is there to fill a spot and work hard in practice against the real players? No shame in that. But is that what she wants? If she wants PT, then probably needs to go somewhere that expresses real interest.

Comment

The top group at UVA is determined before you walk in the door. Everyone else is a fundraiser.

That's a program that contends for National titles. We maybe have one kid a year in CT that they would even take the time to evaluate

Delusional!!

Comment

1 day clinics were the best spend. Way better than summer camps or even high level ID tournament cattle calls. My daughter ignored early interest sophmore year, and only got serious her junior. She attended a a few 1 day clinics at both D1 and D3 schools. You know very quickly if coaches are interested. They know your kids name, talk to them, introducing them to current teammates. They'll pull them aside after the day to gauge intestest and show theirs.

Be wary though. Your kid is a top recruit, only until they find someone better. And be sure their grades and classes match the school and NCAA guidelines.

Comment

1 day clinics were the best spend. Way better than summer camps or even high level ID tournament cattle calls. My daughter ignored early interest sophmore year, and only got serious her junior. She attended a a few 1 day clinics at both D1 and D3 schools. You know very quickly if coaches are interested. They know your kids name, talk to them, introducing them to current teammates. They'll pull them aside after the day to gauge intestest and show theirs.

Be wary though. Your kid is a top recruit, only until they find someone better. And be sure their grades and classes match the school and NCAA guidelines.
                            Mostly yes. Some coaches will also drag you along too as they try to land they're top choices but want to keep you waiting in case the top picks fall through. If the interest is genuine you should know pretty quickly.

UVA dad - sorry but your D will not be getting an offer and certainly not for any money. Even if she did the likelihood of her getting PT is very slim. A program like that has their pick of the country's most elite players. CT has one of those every few years, if even.

Comment

Mostly yes. Some coaches will also drag you along too as they try to land they're top choices but want to keep you waiting in case the top picks fall through. If the interest is genuine you should know pretty quickly.

UVA dad - sorry but your D will not be getting an offer and certainly not for any money. Even if she did the likelihood of her getting PT is very slim. A program like that has their pick of the country's most elite players. CT has one of those every few years, if even.
                              There are UVA commits on the NY teams - NYCFC and Fury for sure. Ask about them. See how you stack up. Or better, go watch them play. I bet all of them are gettintg $$

Comment

There are UVA commits on the NY teams - NYCFC and Fury for sure. Ask about them. See how you stack up. Or better, go watch them play. I bet all of them are gettintg $$
                                Well, she practices with one of them, and has played against the other one once this fall, and 2 more times this spring, both are really good, but my kid is just as good....well maybe not the 00 from NJ, but the 01 from LI she played very well...

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X