Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are college id camps worth it?

Let’s say your son or daughter goes to a college showcase tournament to be seen by college coaches in order to be recruited. I heard that the coaches will notice the player but they would ask to be invited to an ID camp and from there the process of being selected begins. So I’ve seen some camps but they’re very expensive and some are far distance. I am new to the college process and helping out my daughter be recruited by a college team, but I have a few questions: Are College I’d camps worth it? What that’s point of having a showcase tournament if you still have to pay more money if “invited” to go to a camp. Does the same thing goes for ECNL or Academy teams if coaches are constantly watching the team? Won’t sending a highlight videos or send every game footages to coaches be enough? I know there are some good camps out there, but either way I’ve put time and money to set my daughter for a good club and now hearing about Id camps makes me worry that I can’t afford to put her there.
    Thank you all.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Let’s say your son or daughter goes to a college showcase tournament to be seen by college coaches in order to be recruited. I heard that the coaches will notice the player but they would ask to be invited to an ID camp and from there the process of being selected begins. So I’ve seen some camps but they’re very expensive and some are far distance. I am new to the college process and helping out my daughter be recruited by a college team, but I have a few questions: Are College I’d camps worth it? What that’s point of having a showcase tournament if you still have to pay more money if “invited” to go to a camp. Does the same thing goes for ECNL or Academy teams if coaches are constantly watching the team? Won’t sending a highlight videos or send every game footages to coaches be enough? I know there are some good camps out there, but either way I’ve put time and money to set my daughter for a good club and now hearing about Id camps makes me worry that I can’t afford to put her there.
    Thank you all.
    College ID camps serve 2 purposes. First, it is for college coaches to observe players they are interested in up close for an extended period of time. Second, it is for a player who is truly interested in attending the host college and playing for that team.

So, only go to a college ID camp if you are truly interested in the school or the coach personally asked you to attend and you would consider attending and playing at that school. That doesn’t include being part of a mass email invitation. If you’re not sure if you have been personally asked or not, you haven’t.

Comment

Yes, they are. Now send me the money.

Comment

Are they really that expensive? I guess everything is relative.

Also, not all college ID clinics are the same. Some are legit, some are money grabs.

Comment

They are the best bang for the buck. Much better than the 4 day summer ones and much cheaper.

Comment

They are the best bang for the buck. Much better than the 4 day summer ones and much cheaper.
            not true
            kid goes 4 days its really 3 but its $550.00 - includes room and board
            1 day are around 4 hours- they may stretch to 6 but at least 2 of those hours are fluff and thats $150.00-200
            so price is same but the exposure to coaches and program is higher for the 4 day and you get room and board included

Comment

I found that the one day individual school camps are best. Average price of $100. Typically 4 hours long. Some include lunch and/or a t-shirt.

Smaller numbers and a pool of kids that are definitely interested in that school. Coaches then get to know a few of the players and then specifically want to watch them play a club game at one of the showcase events.

For normal players. Recruiting is a 2 year job interview. Remember its not always easy to make an impression during a 25 minute window during a showcase event. ID camps allow coaches to evaluate players in a controlled setting. If the player stands out they can then watch them at game speed in a showcase.

Its a process and the ID camps are part of it. The only downside to them is that there are typically a few dozen players from weak club programs that don't belong especially at D1 clinics. The positives is that it makes the top players look great but the coaches also know that clinic small sided games aren't always are great indicator of how a player handles real pressure.

Comment

not true
                kid goes 4 days its really 3 but its $550.00 - includes room and board
                1 day are around 4 hours- they may stretch to 6 but at least 2 of those hours are fluff and thats $150.00-200
                so price is same but the exposure to coaches and program is higher for the 4 day and you get room and board included
                Coaches don't need 3+ days to evaluate a player. Usually a full day camp should suffice. I'd rather my kid do 3 one day camps at 3 targeted schools than one 3-day camp. The multi day camps are also in the summer while the shorter ones can happen any time of year. Best bet is if it's less than 40-50 players. Then you know it's players they are really interested in. If unsure, just ask. The big mega camps are a money grab. The only reason I'd recommend doing one (and just one) is very early in the process to just see what it's like, how the process works, see how you stack up against other players.

Anyway, to the op - if the coach personally invited her AND it's a school she's very interested, AND it's a school that she has a good chance to play for (look at the current roster and player resumes) then it's worth it. At showcases coaches usually can't spend more than a half at most watching a player. ID events let the entire coaching staff evaluate players, get to know them better, watch how they interact with other players and possibly current team members. The player gets to do the same, plus spend a bit more time on campus (some offer tours). My player wanted to go further away so the travel made it more challenging. Often we'd have to get there the night before, so there's the extra hotel expense etc. But it's a big decision and to spend a little bit of money to get it right is worth it. Just pick carefully and make sure the interest is genuine and mutual.

Comment

Thank you all.
                  Yes and no. It can get your kid recognized but they can drain your wallet faster. These are often cattle calls and all are money makers for coaches. Tell your kid you will pay up to $500 total for any clinics she wants to go to and the rest is on her. ECNL events (and GDA) are certainly places to get recruited but, on the flip side, they are easy places for coaches to feign interest, flatter a player, and take their cash at these clinics.$500 will give her three or four 1-day clinics. More importantly it will make her think hard about what schools she actually likes and allocate a finite set of resources much more discriminately. Beware of coaches that send generic letters after showcases. They get the brochures with your email addresses on them and they have their grad assistants bcc everyone in form letters about we saw you at the Sanford showcase and loves what we saw .... We have an upcoming clinic in march for $200 that we would love to see you at, talk to you, shown you the campus, meet our current players ...... If it doesnt say more personal stuff like I saw your goal against PDA in the second half on Saturday and that great assist in Sunday against Top hat ..... Caveat emptor here for sure ..... There are two angles here .... Filling a college roster and making money for coaches.

Comment

Yes and no. It can get your kid recognized but they can drain your wallet faster. These are often cattle calls and all are money makers for coaches. Tell your kid you will pay up to $500 total for any clinics she wants to go to and the rest is on her. ECNL events (and GDA) are certainly places to get recruited but, on the flip side, they are easy places for coaches to feign interest, flatter a player, and take their cash at these clinics.$500 will give her three or four 1-day clinics. More importantly it will make her think hard about what schools she actually likes and allocate a finite set of resources much more discriminately. Beware of coaches that send generic letters after showcases. They get the brochures with your email addresses on them and they have their grad assistants bcc everyone in form letters about we saw you at the Sanford showcase and loves what we saw .... We have an upcoming clinic in march for $200 that we would love to see you at, talk to you, shown you the campus, meet our current players ...... If it doesnt say more personal stuff like I saw your goal against PDA in the second half on Saturday and that great assist in Sunday against Top hat ..... Caveat emptor here for sure ..... There are two angles here .... Filling a college roster and making money for coaches.
                    ID Camps are money makers and money grabs. Total garbage 98% of the time

Comment

But very helpful if you pick and chose carefully. Giving them a budget is an excellent idea
                      it forces careful choices. The reality is you probably will have to do some to land the spot you want. Plus it's a great way to see if you like the coach too (mine eliminated one quickly after clearly seeing he was a dik). If you're unsure of the event contact the coach and push them on how big it is, would you comp me for it (I was surprised that some would), where do you see me fitting in on the roster? As another said, check their roster too - if they have 6 NT players and you're not a super stud yourself then he probably wants your money. But if it looks like you're a good fit and it's a school you want do it.

Comment

Coaches don't need 3+ days to evaluate a player. Usually a full day camp should suffice. I'd rather my kid do 3 one day camps at 3 targeted schools than one 3-day camp. The multi day camps are also in the summer while the shorter ones can happen any time of year. Best bet is if it's less than 40-50 players. Then you know it's players they are really interested in. If unsure, just ask. The big mega camps are a money grab. The only reason I'd recommend doing one (and just one) is very early in the process to just see what it's like, how the process works, see how you stack up against other players.

Anyway, to the op - if the coach personally invited her AND it's a school she's very interested, AND it's a school that she has a good chance to play for (look at the current roster and player resumes) then it's worth it. At showcases coaches usually can't spend more than a half at most watching a player. ID events let the entire coaching staff evaluate players, get to know them better, watch how they interact with other players and possibly current team members. The player gets to do the same, plus spend a bit more time on campus (some offer tours). My player wanted to go further away so the travel made it more challenging. Often we'd have to get there the night before, so there's the extra hotel expense etc. But it's a big decision and to spend a little bit of money to get it right is worth it. Just pick carefully and make sure the interest is genuine and mutual.
                        Coaches may not need the time but its useful to see a prospect after 2 days of hard practice to find their melting point
                        and useful for the kid to see if they like the coach and staff
                        anyone can play the part for 3 hours 3 days you get to see the real deal

Comment

Coaches may not need the time but its useful to see a prospect after 2 days of hard practice to find their melting point
                          and useful for the kid to see if they like the coach and staff
                          anyone can play the part for 3 hours 3 days you get to see the real deal
                          From what I've seen with a boy and girl through this mest grinder is the longer camps are "mostly" money makers and very large. Often they have a core group they're really interested and will split them off into another group. If you're part of that group, great. But probably 75% are there to fill the recruiting coffers. Obviously if that's the only chance your kid has to get get in front of a coach then it may be worth doing. Just make sure it's realistic. If you're limited by budget and more often time pick carefully. I know one family that easily sent their kid to 10 camps. Crazy.

Comment

Doesn't know what he or she is talking about.
                            Be realistic go to camp your child is interested in then look around. Is your player on level with the rest that are there? Are they near the top? If they are struggling you are in trouble no matter what camp you go to. My son went to 3 day camp and a coach found him and now he is going to that school, so it does work. Also went to a 1 day camp and different coach found him so they both actually work. Bottom line is they have to be a "player" and the coach is looking to fill certain positions.

Comment

Doesn't know what he or she is talking about.
                              Be realistic go to camp your child is interested in then look around. Is your player on level with the rest that are there? Are they near the top? If they are struggling you are in trouble no matter what camp you go to. My son went to 3 day camp and a coach found him and now he is going to that school, so it does work. Also went to a 1 day camp and different coach found him so they both actually work. Bottom line is they have to be a "player" and the coach is looking to fill certain positions.
                              hah. I was for a long time a coach at these things. YAWN. That's what the coaches did in your kid's direction. A cattle call

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X