Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Yes it’s difficult. I guess I have a chip about it because it’s possible and many will try and bring you down and even laugh if you even casually bring up possible aspirations of your child. My advice is you have to know your son or daughter is that good. They have to be playing ECNL/DA and be one of the top players on the team. They have to be easily recognized on their high school teams as the best player, they have to go to college Id clinics and have the coach pull them aside and then call their coach that night. They have to be that good. Not just decent, not just a big fish in a small pond, but that good. If you see that at 14 or 15 then yes it’s possible.
    Yes, a chip.

The OP wanted the stats on the # of scholarships, not your resume....

Comment

Yes, a chip.

The OP wanted the stats on the # of scholarships, not your resume....
      Resume? Sorry I thought the OP was looking for experiences on the subject. I gave a little about ours. Didn’t mean to offend anyone or burst your bubble that nobody is capable with a success story.

Comment

Resume? Sorry I thought the OP was looking for experiences on the subject. I gave a little about ours. Didn’t mean to offend anyone or burst your bubble that nobody is capable with a success story.
        My son sounds a bit like your daughter. Don't let the naysayers get to you. If you have a talented player, you will have more options. It's simple.

Comment

Yes it’s difficult. I guess I have a chip about it because it’s possible and many will try and bring you down and even laugh if you even casually bring up possible aspirations of your child. My advice is you have to know your son or daughter is that good. They have to be playing ECNL/DA and be one of the top players on the team. They have to be easily recognized on their high school teams as the best player, they have to go to college Id clinics and have the coach pull them aside and then call their coach that night. They have to be that good. Not just decent, not just a big fish in a small pond, but that good. If you see that at 14 or 15 then yes it’s possible.

I take exception to they have to be playing ECNL/DA. Yes they have to be talented and yes they need to be in the top 1-3 on the particular team, and yes they have to go to college id camps (specifically the individual on of the school(s) of choice) and yes you have to continually email and contact the coaches, even before junior year (likely with no reply, they can't before junior year). But by all means they do not need to play ECNL/DA if they are top academically and top on the team they are playing and show extremely well at ID camps. ECNL/DA make that process much easier because many of the college coaches just want to go to one tournament to see players they want, but there are quite a few excellent players not playing ECNL/DA that have worked the communication/ID Camp process to get noticed and offered money(both athletic and merit, which is typical) from two mid D1 schools, both top 2 in there conference the last 3 years. As has been said not a full ride by 85%. That is pretty good. Like a lot of the posters have said academics is critical. She chose club soccer because of academics; less travel, less money and good player development. Team was not always strong but the player development was high. I suggest doing research, talk with your player, go to games, talk to club and college coaches and then make a determination of where, what club/organization and coach you and you player want to associate with. You can always adjust if it isn't working.

Comment

Reality Check

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/res...atesReport.pdf

DI womens soccer: 9380 athletes
            DII womens soccer: 7359 athletes
            DIII womens soccer: 11087 athletes

That's a total 27811 athletes playing all levels of NCAA soccer.

High school participation rates according to the NFHS for 2017-2018:

Girls soccer: 390,482

So here's the math and stats on your chances of getting a scholarship for soccer:
            2% will play DI soccer - only 1% will get scholarship money due to the limits on soccer for athletic scholarships.

1% will play DII and less than 1% will get scholarship money

2.8% will play DIII and pay to play in school.

Overall - the chance of playing college soccer at ANY level: 7%

Hit the books and learn an instrument - better chances to get money for college in music or academics than in soccer. FACTS

Comment

My kid will be playing in NESCAC in the fall.
              I would never do it again. There are days when we all regret the first day they picked up a soccer ball. The payoff was a top academic school. The price (not financial) was high.
              It’s all a lot harder than it appeared 12 years ago

Comment

I would never do it again. There are days when we all regret the first day they picked up a soccer ball. The payoff was a top academic school. The price (not financial) was high.
                Top academic school should be the first priority- not “scholarships “. The NESCAC is top level academics and highly competitive DIII soccer. Nothing to shake your head at there.

Comment

So you suggest no athletics for kids? Hockey, baseball, gymnastics at a competative level all cost the same as soccer, maybe more for

Comment

What was the price? What regrets do you have?

-- parent of a 10th grader

Comment

What was the price? What regrets do you have?

-- parent of a 10th grader
                      Not the poster but here’s my 2 cents: I had a son and daughter go through club soccer (NPL and Boys DA) and we learned our lessons from our sons experience. SUSC promised exposure, told us for 5 years how he was in line for money and was a DII player. Long story short - they fed us what we wanted to hear and we kept writing checks. He ended up quitting DA and played HS soccer his senior year whenit was evident to us NO scholarships were coming. He regretted not playing 4 years of HS and ended up being a 3 year starter on a good DIII team in MA.

My daughter played NPL and was a scholarship level athlete and had 4 partial offers from DII schools. However, her financial aid package was better at a private DIII and qualified for 3 academic scholarships totaling more than she was getting offered at the DII schools. She loves college and will be a junior next year - already been a 2 year starter on a very competitive DIII program that went to the NCAAs last seaon

Comment

I've never considered any regrets. That goes with my parents from their journey carting me and two brothers through three sports throughout the country. My brother just finished his journey with his daughter going to a NESCAC school. We are in the middle and have no regrets either.

It's about your expectations and how you value those. If you look at being the parent of a kid playing sports is only relevant if you get a scholarship out of it; as the stats show there is a slim chance to avoid disappointment.

My parents have said watching us play was their greatest joy. None of us played beyond DII in any of the sports. I don't anticipate my daughter will either. Not my concern right now.

If you can't find joy in a weekend together, exploring an area and playing/watching a game working the work and effort it takes to compete, then yes I can see the regrets.

I've never had a coach make promises on scholarships. I think people hear what they want to hear sometimes.

Comment

I've never considered any regrets. That goes with my parents from their journey carting me and two brothers through three sports throughout the country. My brother just finished his journey with his daughter going to a NESCAC school. We are in the middle and have no regrets either.

It's about your expectations and how you value those. If you look at being the parent of a kid playing sports is only relevant if you get a scholarship out of it; as the stats show there is a slim chance to avoid disappointment.

My parents have said watching us play was their greatest joy. None of us played beyond DII in any of the sports. I don't anticipate my daughter will either. Not my concern right now.

If you can't find joy in a weekend together, exploring an area and playing/watching a game working the work and effort it takes to compete, then yes I can see the regrets.

I've never had a coach make promises on scholarships. I think people hear what they want to hear sometimes.
                          We had two different coaches at SUSC - one still there and the other has left - say "scholarship" to us and our son over the course of his last 3 years in DA. Your experience may have been different - not sure if it was with SUSC or another club - but I know from a colleague that he & his daughter are being told "exposure" and "scholarship" as part of the girls DA program now. I told him my daughter- who works out with his in the summer - did NPL and received plenty of exposure, it was never a problem.

Comment

All this talk about the value of club soccer and scholarship opportunity and reality needs to start with one very important aspect. The player’s talent. That’s it. Promises and carrots are just that. Talk is cheap. Parents need to be the advocates for their players and put in the work getting them the best training possible, exposure, and then working the recruitment process BUT this only works if the player is truly talented. Parents need to learn the business, so to speak, and evaluate their own child with realistic eyes and target schools appropriately.

And along with that be honest with others. So many new people (like me) got misinformation along the way because of boastful and/or green eyed parents.

So many times I’ve heard parents say “We didn’t want D1 for our daughter because it was so much work.” Yeah okay. That’s code for she wasn’t good enough. Be real and be proud and don’t apologize. If you are getting money to play soccer at the D2 level then great. We just read the statistics here and how difficult it is to play in college at all let alone get money.

And many times a player goes from D1 in their parent’s eyes as a freshman to a D3 player as a junior in everyone else’s eyes. Parents become bitter with the entire process and feel slighted. But their player was always a D3 level talent. Their fault for not seeing that and they would have had a much better experience with open eyes.

A lot of talk on the MA side about targeting the right schools. Some is pretty good. Read it. Targeting correctly will pay off.

Most importantly is a true evaluation. Go to a few D1 ID clinics and look around and see how they fit. Most D1 clinics have players of various levels and just a few are D1 material. The rest weren’t invited and are trying it on for size. Your player should be one of the best there if they are truly at that level. Their coach should receive a call afterwards to inquire about them. They should get noticed. If not then try some D2 schools.

Take off the rose colored glasses.

Comment

We had two different coaches at SUSC - one still there and the other has left - say "scholarship" to us and our son over the course of his last 3 years in DA. Your experience may have been different - not sure if it was with SUSC or another club - but I know from a colleague that he & his daughter are being told "exposure" and "scholarship" as part of the girls DA program now. I told him my daughter- who works out with his in the summer - did NPL and received plenty of exposure, it was never a problem.
                              We've been with two clubs, SUSC one of them. Coaching is so far better from what we came from it's hard to even categorize them as both being big club coaches.

But, from either organization I never heard scholarship. In fact, I know of one person who chases scholarships and is now at an unnamed club in MA who brought that up to a coach at the club, and they were told "better have a backup plan" straight up.

Maybe they've learned their lessons; I can't vouch for what was or wasn't said. But, from our perspective, they talk about 'exposure" and 'opportunities'. That's it. Never heard one word about 'scholarship' even during their dog and pony show early on.

Comment

No one should be doing this because you expect a payout at the end. You do it because your kid loves the sport and wants to play at the highest level they can (whatever level that is). If (big if) soccer helps get them into a better school than without soccer that's fantastic. Even that isn't guaranteed since grades will still make a difference too. If your kid gets a few $ to play in college you won the lottery. Seriously the odds and $ are nearly that bad, especially for boys. I wish taking a seminar in the realities of college recruiting was mandatory for all 7th grade families. Guaranteed more would change their path if they knew what lay ahead.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X