Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Professional Female golfers and tennis players can't beat best HS boys, yet they do fine.
    Your logic sux

Question was asked "who cares?"
    Answer was given "Americans"
    at a level somewhere between NBA finals and World Series Game 7.
    Answer is nobody outside of the American girls youth soccer bubble. The professional games are televised on lifetime.

Comment

Like women's Olympic Gymnastics, everyone will tune in once every 4 years for the finals, then go back to sleep.
      Yeh, I might even watch the bobsled finals in a few weeks, especially if Jamaica is in it. The stands for the round-robin games they were half empty, even for US and Canadian matches. If Mias make bench at Div 1. crazy soccer moms and roomates spectators is about right.

Comment

Yeh, I might even watch the bobsled finals in a few weeks, especially if Jamaica is in it. The stands for the round-robin games they were half empty, even for US and Canadian matches. If Mias make bench at Div 1. crazy soccer moms and roomates spectators is about right.
        Totally agree, and its still more than boys

Comment

Totally agree, and its still more than boys
          Agree. At my darling no Mia’s D1 games generally they play before 1,000 +- a game. I went to a men's game at the same school and there was less than 200 in the stands. Her team is treated like queens in the athletic department and by the male athletes. Not the same for the men's team. They are treated like a club team and have to beg for support. The other male athletes treat them like they are all a waste of space. My daughter says it’s embarrassing how little respect they get, even from her team.

Comment

Agree. At my darling no Mia’s D1 games generally they play before 1,000 +- a game. I went to a men's game at the same school and there was less than 200 in the stands. Her team is treated like queens in the athletic department and by the male athletes. Not the same for the men's team. They are treated like a club team and have to beg for support. The other male athletes treat them like they are all a waste of space. My daughter says it’s embarrassing how little respect they get, even from her team.
            Like the poster above using the world cup final ratings as a benchmark, using a sample size of one to illustrate a point concerning the overall landscape is idiotic at best. To your point about D1 attendance, in 2016 the top 10 schools for attendance averaged roughly 1,900 on the girls side and 2,800 on the boys side. Your bias is not unlike the bias any other parent has on both the girls and boys side. You get to see only a narrow glimpse of the overall soccer landscape. The edge the women's game does have is that it's easier to get d1 scholarships not only due to the 16-9.9 advantage in available scholarships, but also the global competition for spots on the men's side. With a higher percentage of local girls playing at top schools due to the lack of true global influence in the game, you get more families involved longer on the girls side, creating the illusion of more interest on the girls side from the perspective of those involved in youth soccer. Outside of the immediate soccer world parents see, the quality of the product always wins out, and as a whole the men's game is vastly superior product. Despite its standing as a minnow on the world stage, MLS attendance is 2-2.5 times greater than NWSL attendance, a league showcasing some of the worlds greatest players on the women's side. I personally enjoy and support the women's game in this country, but very few who don't have direct involvement in the game choose to watch, outside of the major events like a world cup final. Happy holidays to all.

Comment

Like the poster above using the world cup final ratings as a benchmark, using a sample size of one to illustrate a point concerning the overall landscape is idiotic at best. To your point about D1 attendance, in 2016 the top 10 schools for attendance averaged roughly 1,900 on the girls side and 2,800 on the boys side. Your bias is not unlike the bias any other parent has on both the girls and boys side. You get to see only a narrow glimpse of the overall soccer landscape. The edge the women's game does have is that it's easier to get d1 scholarships not only due to the 16-9.9 advantage in available scholarships, but also the global competition for spots on the men's side. With a higher percentage of local girls playing at top schools due to the lack of true global influence in the game, you get more families involved longer on the girls side, creating the illusion of more interest on the girls side from the perspective of those involved in youth soccer. Outside of the immediate soccer world parents see, the quality of the product always wins out, and as a whole the men's game is vastly superior product. Despite its standing as a minnow on the world stage, MLS attendance is 2-2.5 times greater than NWSL attendance, a league showcasing some of the worlds greatest players on the women's side. I personally enjoy and support the women's game in this country, but very few who don't have direct involvement in the game choose to watch, outside of the major events like a world cup final. Happy holidays to all.
              Well reasoned argument, but didn't change my mind. An n of 10 is also statistically insufficient and the sample bias of the top 10 is obvious. Elevating the issue to professional leagues is mis-direction from the question about "girls". Just ask your kids where boys soccer stands in the social hierarchy at their HS.

Comment

You are blinded by your myopic biases. Here’s a couple of things that you cannot debate. The men’s game in this country is in a shambles. Not only did they not qualify for the World Cup but now the whole federation is leaderless so change will take years to make so things will get worse before they gets better. The women’s program is not in such a state of chaos. They have had fairly stable leadership and generally have a better quality of player on their team and in the pipeline so it will weather the storm better. The men’s team is not nearly as stable. It will take decades to recover from the Klingsman era and any new thinking that might improve the situation will take at least a decade to provide any help. As it stands now, no one wants American trained male soccer players which is why you read about all our promising young prospects leaving for foreign clubs once they hit middle school. The fact that few of them are popping up as future stars with those international clubs speaks volumes abouthow far off the pace even our best and brightest males are. Even the best soccer trainers in the world aren’t having much luck with them.

Comment

Well reasoned argument, but didn't change my mind. An n of 10 is also statistically insufficient and the sample bias of the top 10 is obvious. Elevating the issue to professional leagues is mis-direction from the question about "girls". Just ask your kids where boys soccer stands in the social hierarchy at their HS.
                  Bingo! When my daughter was in high school her team actually had the most success of any of the teams in the school regardless of gender. They literally ran the school like the football team used to back in my day. The interesting thing is the kids didn’t seem to have a problem with it. Certainly not like some of the bitter men you are reading in this thread. Maybe things aren’t as far off as some hope.

Comment

https://brokenclipboard.wordpress.co...-and-sports-2/

How sports and social hierarchy fit together.

Comment

14 and under edge girls
                      High school age even
                      College slight edge boys
                      Pro no comparison - men
                      National teams even or slight edge men (interest in team not success)

Comment

14 and under edge girls
                        High school age even
                        College slight edge boys
                        Pro no comparison - men
                        National teams even or slight edge men (interest in team not success)
                        This is the right taxonomy.
                        I give girls edge through HS
                        Agrer that edge shifts to men in college and definately pros
                        As for NT, success and interest can not be unbundled so women get edge, but men would get it if they were competitive

Comment

This is the right taxonomy.
                          I give girls edge through HS
                          Agrer that edge shifts to men in college and definately pros
                          As for NT, success and interest can not be unbundled so women get edge, but men would get it if they were competitive
                          Sorry. No one cares about men’s college soccer. Literally no one.

Comment

Sorry. No one cares about men’s college soccer. Literally no one.
                            Try attending a game at UCSB. You'll have a hard time getting a ticket.

Comment

Try attending a game at UCSB. You'll have a hard time getting a ticket.
                              Had 10000+ for Cal Poly this season. Usually squeeze in 12000.

Comment

Had 10000+ for Cal Poly this season. Usually squeeze in 12000.
                                And how many Americans are on that roster, never mind in the stands.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X