Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Davie Sharks

Does anyone have connections to Davie? Are they strictly going to be a club for boys from hereon? I know they have a few girls teams at the younger levels but it seems like 90% of their kids are now boys. Have they just given up on the girls side to concentrate on boys teams or are there just fewer girls in Davie playing soccer? I thought historically that they used to have as much if not more success on the girls side. I know they lost some of their older teams to Weston GDA but it looks like the girls side completely blew up. Maybe they have just decided that in the new landscape that the money is on the boys side and girls teams are just going to be used as revenue if enough show up at a tryout to form a team?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Does anyone have connections to Davie? Are they strictly going to be a club for boys from hereon? I know they have a few girls teams at the younger levels but it seems like 90% of their kids are now boys. Have they just given up on the girls side to concentrate on boys teams or are there just fewer girls in Davie playing soccer? I thought historically that they used to have as much if not more success on the girls side. I know they lost some of their older teams to Weston GDA but it looks like the girls side completely blew up. Maybe they have just decided that in the new landscape that the money is on the boys side and girls teams are just going to be used as revenue if enough show up at a tryout to form a team?
    A few years back, Davie established a feeder/exchange relationship with Weston. Better girls were to play ECNL at Weston. The Weston girls that got replaced by Davie were then supposed to play at Davie. Enter the usual youth soccer chaos and you can see how that arrangement panned out.

Comment

They have some good, competitive boys teams but it's all got to be put in perspective. I had a parent telling me how their U14 team is so great and top 5 in the nation (it was actually 5th in Florida on gotsoccer). I looked at their results and they basically benefited from playing in a couple big tournaments and winning them. But I had to point out that these days most of the best players migrate to the DA teams and they don't rank high on gotsoccer because they only play a tournament or two a year.

I also pointed out that they are based in South Broward and recently played two tournaments in their own backyard at West Pines and the Plantation Thanksgiving tournament and in those TWO tournaments they didn't win a single game. So they might be a very good team but until you can consistently beat the top teams in your own area, try to keep all the "great team" talk in perspective. Gotsoccer's point system can be gamed if you know what you are doing and have parents dumb enough to fork over thousands of dollars to play in all these expensive and distant tournaments to boost your overall points.

Comment

Davie was bigger before Weston got DA (and then GDA). They also are sharing Bamford with another soccer club now (European). There's a lot more competition these days.

And now that USSF has implemented the DA system the value of travel soccer outside those teams is greatly diminished in terms of scholarship opportunities. At least in areas where there are Academies set up. Obviously DAs tend to be clumped together in certain regions so in parts of the country where there aren't many or any DA clubs travel will still be the primary vehicle for showcasing yourself for college coaches.

Unfortunately, Davie is between Boca, Weston and Kendall on the boys side and Boca and Weston on the girls side. They are essentially 5 minutes from Weston so it's not like they can even attract top players who don't want to drive a long way to attend an Academy. They have to try to recruit kids who can't or don't want to play DA to build top teams (the best of what's left teams).

Comment

Davie is not a major club. If it were you'd see pages and pages of people bashing or supporting it. They are also pretty secretive and don't seek much publicity. My guess is that the owners are older and probably less involved and it's in a gradual decline unless someone new takes over.

Comment

I think they changed their name. Every time I drive by Bamford I see it being advertised as European Soccer.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
              I think they changed their name. Every time I drive by Bamford I see it being advertised as European Soccer.
              The Sharks share the park with European. Davie has around 15 teams total, and European has about 7. Davie also uses Shenandoah Park.

European leases the turf fields at Bamform, and wisely advertises on those near the major road. That's why you see their banners.

Comment

Who are these clubs anymore really ?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                Working...
                X