Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I think you are seriously underestimating the % of players (and parents) that are misguided. From what I've heard it's the other way around. There are plenty of players and parents that believe their GDA kid is now on a direct path to the NT. Bought the propaganda hook line and sinker. The fact is that they are no closer to the NT than they were when they were playing ECNL.
    My Daughter is on a GDA team and we do not have that expectation AT ALL. It's ridiculous to think that suddenly my daughter is going to be invited to an YNT camp if she wasn't identified before GDA. I see the GDA as a good substitute for HS soccer, which my daughter didn't enjoy, and good preparation for the college transition. 'm pretty sure most parents feel the same way. At any given time, in any age group in New England, there are maybe 2 or 3 players AT MOST at that level. I don't see that changing.

Comment

I don't think 95% of these girls playing on GDA are doing it with misguided dreams of NT call-ups. For Breakers teams, it's simply the chance to play on the "top" team of the pyramid regardless of whatever league they play in, and to continue to play with their soccer peer group they have played with for years (for many that started in NPL, then ECNL, and now GDA). And over at Stars, the girls getting cut from, or not making ECNL, would rather have the prestige of playing GDA than the old option of Northeast NPL. Bottom line, is that the kids are not playing in these leagues for the league. They want to play for top team whatever it plays, and stay with as many of their current teammates as possible.
      99% of the sane girls who will participate in the DA will have their sights squarely fixed on getting a scholarship at the D1 level. Making the NT will be looked upon more as gravy than as the goal itself.

Here is what so many of you seem to be missing (like the folks who don't know what being in shape looks like over in the Beep Test thread), doing the DA is going to be all about getting ready to actually contribute at the college level because the gulf between the amount of work a youth player does and the amount of work a college players does currently is huge. The average youth player in a decent program typically puts in 10-15 hours a week whereas the players in a decent D1 college level program typically put in close to 40 hours of work a week during the season and 15-20 hours during the offseason (let's not quibble about countable activities shall we) so getting a youth player prepared enough to compete with a college for playing time is not a trivial thing nor is it short term proposition.

A other things college bound players need to understand is that college coaches by and large don't really care about players as individuals. Your kid will either produce or functionally be banished to the sidelines and they'll start recruiting someone to take their place. No one is going to spoon feed anything to them. It's all up to them, the individual player to challenge themselves to improve their game. Parents should understand that most of that work usually gets done on their player's own or at most in small groups. Coaches are actually the least important part of the equation so the idea about the same old coaches producing the same old results is nothing but some used up hack's over inflated ego speaking. If you are counting on the likes of them to prepare your kid for what awaits them in college, both you and your child are going to be in for a very rude awkening.

Comment

99% of the sane girls who will participate in the DA will have their sights squarely fixed on getting a scholarship at the D1 level. Making the NT will be looked upon more as gravy than as the goal itself.

Here is what so many of you seem to be missing (like the folks who don't know what being in shape looks like over in the Beep Test thread), doing the DA is going to be all about getting ready to actually contribute at the college level because the gulf between the amount of work a youth player does and the amount of work a college players does currently is huge. The average youth player in a decent program typically puts in 10-15 hours a week whereas the players in a decent D1 college level program typically put in close to 40 hours of work a week during the season and 15-20 hours during the offseason (let's not quibble about countable activities shall we) so getting a youth player prepared enough to compete with a college for playing time is not a trivial thing nor is it short term proposition.

A other things college bound players need to understand is that college coaches by and large don't really care about players as individuals. Your kid will either produce or functionally be banished to the sidelines and they'll start recruiting someone to take their place. No one is going to spoon feed anything to them. It's all up to them, the individual player to challenge themselves to improve their game. Parents should understand that most of that work usually gets done on their player's own or at most in small groups. Coaches are actually the least important part of the equation so the idea about the same old coaches producing the same old results is nothing but some used up hack's over inflated ego speaking. If you are counting on the likes of them to prepare your kid for what awaits them in college, both you and your child are going to be in for a very rude awkening.
        Well DA isn't going to do much on the amount of time front - it's still just 1.5 hours 4x/week and one game per weekend. To be really prepared a player must take the initiative to do far more on their own. That's where plenty of players can't hack it either getting ready for college or once they're there. Far too many underestimate the commitment - even D3 is a big commitment, let alone D1. So many players are in a system where college is the main goal, not necessarily playing at the highest level or reaching a pro team, which is what USSF's goal is.

Comment

This is hilarious. More than half of the kids on these gda, ecnl etc. teams are the hard working, athletic kids of affluent well educated parents that finance this venture for their kids because they are successful professionals an can afford to do so. These girls are headed to grad school and college soccer may or may not fit in to that plan.

GDA, ECNL, etc, etc is an entertaining activity for these competitive teens.

Comment

I have tried to say this in a nice way for the last 6 months on here in different threads. The biggest issue with Girls soccer is desire. Too few girls - many for perfectly good reasons - see soccer as a means to an end and not a passion.

I think this si as huge miscalculation by the USSF. will it change over time? I dont know.

Its real passion that drives an athlete to put the time into a sport that is not guaranteed to pay the bills . You can see the passionate players already and there are not that many. there just arent. Forget passionate AND talented. They are even rarer.

he GDA should provide a real immersion experience for passionate players. Far more than ECNL or HS can BUT that is not and should not be for everyone. My fear is its too big to do that and will end up being ECNL+ or - depending on your PoV

Comment

This is hilarious. More than half of the kids on these gda, ecnl etc. teams are the hard working, athletic kids of affluent well educated parents that finance this venture for their kids because they are successful professionals an can afford to do so. These girls are headed to grad school and college soccer may or may not fit in to that plan.

I dont get it

a. whats funny about it?
              b. what is your point ?

Comment

What about the other half?

Comment

I dont get it

a. whats funny about it?
                  b. what is your point ?
                  Pro soccer, NT, D1...come on. I am involved with such a team. Just not what is driving the bus for a lot of the players...even very very good players. But yes for some.

Comment

Well DA isn't going to do much on the amount of time front - it's still just 1.5 hours 4x/week and one game per weekend. To be really prepared a player must take the initiative to do far more on their own. That's where plenty of players can't hack it either getting ready for college or once they're there. Far too many underestimate the commitment - even D3 is a big commitment, let alone D1. So many players are in a system where college is the main goal, not necessarily playing at the highest level or reaching a pro team, which is what USSF's goal is.
                    Bingo! They mistakenly think that going to a lower program means that the expectations are lower. What they find instead is that the players they end playing with aren't all that good or all that committed and they end up with some coach who has one eye on the job boards and another watching the standings.

Comment

Speak for yourself. Your come across as the type who the hard core DA folks try to avoid at every step because you set the bar low and then try to bring everyone around you down to it.

Comment

Pro soccer, NT, D1...come on. I am involved with such a team. Just not what is driving the bus for a lot of the players...even very very good players. But yes for some.
                        So what IS driving the bus for them ? There are many things they could be doing with that time.

Comment

So what IS driving the bus for them ? There are many things they could be doing with that time.
                          They've bought into the "this is the best path to a better college - maybe even get some money to play - sales pitch. Given the cost of college these days, as well as the very competitive applicant pool at top schools, players and parents buy right into it

Comment

Speak for yourself. Your come across as the type who the hard core DA folks try to avoid at every step because you set the bar low and then try to bring everyone around you down to it.
                            My players is a hard working soccer obsessed teen like the others. I am speaking for myself and about my experience with girls competitive soccer. I feel just as strongly about avoiding "hard core DA folks" ( there are some insufferable soccer parents out there)

Comment

They've bought into the "this is the best path to a better college - maybe even get some money to play - sales pitch. Given the cost of college these days, as well as the very competitive applicant pool at top schools, players and parents buy right into it
                              Thats fair, but as mentioned above, the commitment required is large at every school. Transfer and dropout rats are high becasue kids underestimate it. Its not HS /Club. Its a job. You had better enjoy it or its going to be a really tough 4 years.

Comment

My players is a hard working soccer obsessed teen like the others. I am speaking for myself and about my experience with girls competitive soccer. I feel just as strongly about avoiding "hard core DA folks" ( there are some insufferable soccer parents out there)
                                i think the minority are soccer obsessed.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X