Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    If you want perspective. My daughter is a D1 player. She's a GK. She ran a 31 this spring. Some of you have absolutely no idea what being in shape is or how much work it takes to get there.
    Funny according to this scale, the score only goes to 21.
    http://www.topendsports.com/testing/beep-table.htm

Comment

Funny according to this scale, the score only goes to 21.
      http://www.topendsports.com/testing/beep-table.htm
      As has been said there are different variations of a similar idea. Be in the best shape you can be. That's the take away

Comment

This isn't what the beep test is for. Its a test of how quickly your body can recover. It's starts slow, maybe less than 50% effort needed but work rate increases at each level. The more fit you are, the more cycles you can do. You eventually get to where you can't recover fast enough and legs turn to jello, and you can't make the next beep. I don't think the division matters, but I would say in D3 where you have more athleticism than skill, a better conditioned team should have a big advantage, especially later in the game. Again, saying a 17 is needed is pointless unless you know the version that they use. I'm sure it's a level that can be easily attained with some work, but not something you are going to be able to meet if you haven't done any conditioning.
        Doesn't it stand to reason that if a kid can run for 90 minutes that any conditioning test would be achievable?

Comment

As has been said there are different variations of a similar idea. Be in the best shape you can be. That's the take away
          Gotta love knuckleheads like this guy. Everything they know about soccer comes from google. Little wonder their kid struggles with a beep test.

Comment

Sorry meant that about the post prior to the one grabbed.

Comment

Gotta love knuckleheads like this guy. Everything they know about soccer comes from google. Little wonder their kid struggles with a beep test.
              Ha...nice deflection

Comment

Doesn't it stand to reason that if a kid can run for 90 minutes that any conditioning test would be achievable?
                I could jog for 90 minutes at a slow speed but that doesn't mean I would pass a conditioning test. It isn't just about duration but also speed, and the combination of the two. Soccer players aren't "running" for 90 minutes. They need quick bursts of high intensity along with longevity.

Comment

I could jog for 90 minutes at a slow speed but that doesn't mean I would pass a conditioning test. It isn't just about duration but also speed, and the combination of the two. Soccer players aren't "running" for 90 minutes. They need quick bursts of high intensity along with longevity.
                  Lets keep things simple for the knuckleheads. If you CAN'T run for 90 minutes then there is little chance someone is going to do well on a conditioning test.

Comment

Jogging for 90 is not conditioning for soccer. A closer approximation would be running intervals for 7 miles/90 minutes. Steady jogging does nothing for your anaerobic fitness or recovery, only your aerobic fitness, and it's not just time, but heart rate as a percentage of your max heart rate over time.

Not for nothing, but it amazes me that families will spend thousands of dollars on club soccer and travelling to tournaments all over the country, but won't/don't spend a few hundred dollars a month for sport-specific strength and conditioning overseen by fitness professionals who actually understand the demands of the sport. That's without mentioning the proliferation of ACL injuries in high school now, especially in girls.

Comment

Jogging for 90 is not conditioning for soccer. A closer approximation would be running intervals for 7 miles/90 minutes. Steady jogging does nothing for your anaerobic fitness or recovery, only your aerobic fitness, and it's not just time, but heart rate as a percentage of your max heart rate over time.

Not for nothing, but it amazes me that families will spend thousands of dollars on club soccer and travelling to tournaments all over the country, but won't/don't spend a few hundred dollars a month for sport-specific strength and conditioning overseen by fitness professionals who actually understand the demands of the sport. That's without mentioning the proliferation of ACL injuries in high school now, especially in girls.
                      As related to another thread, they're often times not in the sport for all the right reasons. It's a part time activity and COLLEGE is the goal, not necessarily college SOCCER. Extra workouts take away from doing other things to improve their college applications

Comment

As related to another thread, they're often times not in the sport for all the right reasons. It's a part time activity and COLLEGE is the goal, not necessarily college SOCCER. Extra workouts take away from doing other things to improve their college applications
                        partially true ..more like

Extra workouts take away from doing other things to improve their social life.

Comment

Or better yet, it amazes me that families will spend thousands of dollars on club soccer and be so accepting that they do so little in the area of fitness as part of their soccer training curriculum. It's gotten a little better, but overall, it's still mostly ignored.

Comment

Or better yet, it amazes me that families will spend thousands of dollars on club soccer and be so accepting that they do so little in the area of fitness as part of their soccer training curriculum. It's gotten a little better, but overall, it's still mostly ignored.
                            Coaches only have players for a few hours a week. Naturally they prefer to work on game strategies and tactics, not spend half a practice doing fitness drills. To do so would require adding more time either per practice or at least one more practice/week. That requires upping already-high fees, along with a loss of more free time for players.

Comment

Coaches only have players for a few hours a week. Naturally they prefer to work on game strategies and tactics, not spend half a practice doing fitness drills. To do so would require adding more time either per practice or at least one more practice/week. That requires upping already-high fees, along with a loss of more free time for players.
                              It really does not. It requires players taking it upon themselves to get fit. Problem is MOST of these kids are really not athletes. they are kids adding an activity to a College e resume.

Comment

Then the coach isn't doing it right -- the whole point (VO2 max) is that the beep test finishes you before you finish it.
                                100% correct.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X