Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DA Disaster?

ESPN FC: You mentioned the 16-to-18 age group -- is that just because not as many kids in the U.S. are in professional environments at that age?

SC: Yeah, I think it's the most important age group. I've trained this age group for the past three years now, and that's where you really see kids drop off the pace or keep up the pace of the game. I see 16-year-olds, OK -- they realize it's professional soccer or that this high level isn't for them, so they're going to go to a smaller club. That is the age where you make or break it.

It's very interesting, and I think it's very important that they have high-quality games week in, week out, and good training four times a week at that age. Prior to that, you can do a lot of wonderful things on the technical side and the physical side to get players ready, but from 16 to 18, that's where you need to learn the tactics of the game and implement them on the weekend against high-quality opponents. That's the problem in the U.S. right now.

Talking-soccer

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    ESPN FC: You mentioned the 16-to-18 age group -- is that just because not as many kids in the U.S. are in professional environments at that age?

SC: Yeah, I think it's the most important age group. I've trained this age group for the past three years now, and that's where you really see kids drop off the pace or keep up the pace of the game. I see 16-year-olds, OK -- they realize it's professional soccer or that this high level isn't for them, so they're going to go to a smaller club. That is the age where you make or break it.

It's very interesting, and I think it's very important that they have high-quality games week in, week out, and good training four times a week at that age. Prior to that, you can do a lot of wonderful things on the technical side and the physical side to get players ready, but from 16 to 18, that's where you need to learn the tactics of the game and implement them on the weekend against high-quality opponents. That's the problem in the U.S. right now.

If we look up to Europe in how to develop kids this is definitely true. They are asking here at 12 and 13 to be very athletic, fast, aggressive, etc.. . While technical skills and smarts are not given the importance they need at that age.. It's true, there it is 16 to 18 when you increase the pressure. Before that, the kid is just getting ready.

Comment

If we look up to Europe in how to develop kids this is definitely true. They are asking here at 12 and 13 to be very athletic, fast, aggressive, etc.. . While technical skills and smarts are not given the importance they need at that age.. It's true, there it is 16 to 18 when you increase the pressure. Before that, the kid is just getting ready.
      of course, but soccer here is paid entertainment for parents. by 16 to 18 the parents are no longer in the entertainment business.

Comment

My kid is on a U15 DA team in the state of FL this coming year, so he is 14 going on 15. He is practicing 4 times a week and a 5th on Sat if there are no games. Each game this coming year is expected to be very competitive and much higher quality than regular club soccer in FL. He gets out of school in the early afternoon and will also be doing extra technical and physical (more technical) 3 to 4 days per week, right when he gets out. He is also, most importantly, expected to keep up high grades in a very challenging school. I just don't know what more we or he can do. Maybe people in Europe don't care about educating their players and they train more, not sure. I believe that if he can excel on his schedule and stick with it, it will set him up for really learning tactics and a more advanced form of soccer when he is 16 - 18. That seems to be all we can do and hope that he does not burn out. In the summer, we try to give him as much time off from soccer as we can. From what I can tell, most of his team are doing the same thing as he is. These are boys that have committed and sacrificed a big part of their lives to the sport, at a young age. I think that this is replicated by most DA players all over the country, even more so than just 5 years ago. I believe you are going see an explosion of soccer talent produced by the DA system within the next 5 to 10 years.

Comment

My kid is on a U15 DA team in the state of FL this coming year, so he is 14 going on 15. He is practicing 4 times a week and a 5th on Sat if there are no games. Each game this coming year is expected to be very competitive and much higher quality than regular club soccer in FL. He gets out of school in the early afternoon and will also be doing extra technical and physical (more technical) 3 to 4 days per week, right when he gets out. He is also, most importantly, expected to keep up high grades in a very challenging school. I just don't know what more we or he can do. Maybe people in Europe don't care about educating their players and they train more, not sure. I believe that if he can excel on his schedule and stick with it, it will set him up for really learning tactics and a more advanced form of soccer when he is 16 - 18. That seems to be all we can do and hope that he does not burn out. In the summer, we try to give him as much time off from soccer as we can. From what I can tell, most of his team are doing the same thing as he is. These are boys that have committed and sacrificed a big part of their lives to the sport, at a young age. I think that this is replicated by most DA players all over the country, even more so than just 5 years ago. I believe you are going see an explosion of soccer talent produced by the DA system within the next 5 to 10 years.
          Chances are we will produce a Messi!

Comment

I don't know about "explosion" but I agree things should improve. I think the one thing that is missing from the "DA model" is more informal games. We are fortunate to have a park close to our house where adults and young adults play pick-up every day. my kid joins in regularly and I think it is a great supplement to structured training. he tries new things without anyone to get on his case. I like the approach of DA (less and more meaningful games; more meaningful practice) but I think kids need to have a connection to the game that is unstructured.

Comment

There is no evidence that even the majority, let alone all, players "make it or break it" between age 16 - 18. It happens before and it happens after this age group. The technical, tactical physical and psycho-social sides of soccer are so closely integrated that there is no way to train only one or two of them. There may be more emphasis on technique earlier and more emphasis on tactics later, but all four components are always present and need to be taught.

Comment

If you description of DA training is accurate the DA is doing it all wrong, completely ignoring the rules of training periodization.

Comment

I don't know about "explosion" but I agree things should improve. I think the one thing that is missing from the "DA model" is more informal games. We are fortunate to have a park close to our house where adults and young adults play pick-up every day. my kid joins in regularly and I think it is a great supplement to structured training. he tries new things without anyone to get on his case. I like the approach of DA (less and more meaningful games; more meaningful practice) but I think kids need to have a connection to the game that is unstructured.
                  Early selection is the worst possible thing that can happen to developing players, and this is exactly what the DA has been doing.

Comment

I think what is mentioned in the post is that is later in the process where all this heavy training needs to take place? And maybe different ages require different focus? I don't know.. Anybody in Europe I know that is in a club they all go to normal schools. Parents in Europe do prioritize education and the education there is good. That's all I know

Comment

In the HS years international academies ramp up the training - yes they're in school but they train more hours than our 1.5 hours per session. Some DA clubs don't even meet the 4 times a week requirement! Also abroad they can travel short distances - I mean a few train stops - to play phenomenal teams week in and week out. We drive all over god's creation to get to games to play sometimes terrible teams. Informal play is also a bigger factor abroad - there's more opportunities for it because so many in you neighborhood or family play also. Here you have to seek it out and might not even find it. International academies are very intense and the cut all the time, but they don't do it as quickly as we do here. They take a longer term approach because you can't know for sure where a player will go with puberty and hard work vs another kid who is bigger, maybe even more skilled but lazy. That is something sorely lacking here. It's very much up and out

Comment

I think what is mentioned in the post is that is later in the process where all this heavy training needs to take place? And maybe different ages require different focus? I don't know.. Anybody in Europe I know that is in a club they all go to normal schools. Parents in Europe do prioritize education and the education there is good. That's all I know
                        I do believe that at U12 they train 3 days a week, but starting at U13 it goes to 11 v 11 with 4 days per week, with a game or 5th practice. Are you saying that it is too much. Training is mostly all technical and not as much straight physical fitness.

Comment

Here's the thing, soccer has, for the most part, been an middle class to upper middle class sport in our country. In order to play at the highest level in our country, you have to most times pla big bucks, like it or not. Most of those players also have high demands with schooling in our country. I believe a far higher standard than the top soccer players have in Europe or S America. Something similar to basketball in our country which a large part is played by inner city minorities and if it comes down to playing pick up basketball or doing a couple hours of Math homework, that kid is going to choose the hoops all day long, with the blessing of the single parent that is at work. Same goes for soccer in the those other continents, soccer rules the day and who the hell cares about the ones on the streets that don't make the big time.

Comment

Here's the thing, soccer has, for the most part, been an middle class to upper middle class sport in our country. In order to play at the highest level in our country, you have to most times pla big bucks, like it or not. Most of those players also have high demands with schooling in our country. I believe a far higher standard than the top soccer players have in Europe or S America. Something similar to basketball in our country which a large part is played by inner city minorities and if it comes down to playing pick up basketball or doing a couple hours of Math homework, that kid is going to choose the hoops all day long, with the blessing of the single parent that is at work. Same goes for soccer in the those other continents, soccer rules the day and who the hell cares about the ones on the streets that don't make the big time.
                            Neymar dropped out in 8th grade. I'm not sure that is something we should have American players strive for.....?

Comment

Yes there is some element of that, but soccer is not the solely the game of the urban poor. The bigger difference is that soccer is a respected, desired and fairly well compensated career path. Here it is not. Most are in it for college - either for scholarships or to use it to parlay into a better school. The pay isn't very good (neither is much of the competition to make you a better player). Even those with a possible pro career have a hard time saying no to a (probably free) education given how much school costs here. Abroad you can pursue a pro career and if you decide to go back to school later you can afford it (yes those higher taxes go to good use, along with universal health care). The exorbitant cost of higher education drives a lot of decisions in this country, not just with sports.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X