Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest players

We do not use them although it would be very easy to pick up some of the other local kids to play in big tournaments etc. I hate when we play a team and some of their starters are not even on their team yet they get thos ranking points. Heck, the number one team in our state is nothing but a collection of guest players.

This is an age old problem in club soccer but with the ranking system the rankings are easily manipulated and the clubs that choose to play with their players are punished. Am I just whinning or does other people feel this way as well? Any ideas on how to change it?

Great topic but, guest players are part of soccer. Some clubs do not allow for their players too be guest players, for the possibility of the grass is greener on the other side. I commend those clubs for having this rule.

Comment

Guest playing is a great way to recruit players for next year.

Comment

Very true. The better teams will get the guest players, other teams will not.

Comment

Originally posted by Unguested View Post
          We do not use them although it would be very easy to pick up some of the other local kids to play in big tournaments etc. I hate when we play a team and some of their starters are not even on their team yet they get thos ranking points. Heck, the number one team in our state is nothing but a collection of guest players.

This is an age old problem in club soccer but with the ranking system the rankings are easily manipulated and the clubs that choose to play with their players are punished. Am I just whinning or does other people feel this way as well? Any ideas on how to change it?
          #1 team at which age group? Boys or girls?

Comment

Those who complain most about guest players are the parents on the 11th or 12th player on the team. So when the guest player comes, their little star doesn't get to play. The answer is simple, have your player work harder and become better, then they won't sit when a guest player comes.

Comment

There oughta be a law...NO GUEST PLAYERS!

"Guest players" are nothing more than "hired guns" or "ringers".

Comment

This is done at the highest levels as both Landon Donovan and David Beckham were both on loan last year.
                When clubs get older and injuries mount guest players can save your entire trip. Since entering events is done months in advance what happens when team injuries mount from High School, then you are entered into event with only 10 healthy bodies?? Should everyone stay home or should kids be allowed to participate??

If you are worried about ranking then you are focused on the wrong things. If the only team you lose to is the one that is made up of guest players then you will have a great year.

For those clubs not allowing players to guest, they are only worried about losing a player as someone might discover better training or more attention to players development. They are not concerned with allowing player to be seen only watching out for own interests and not players. Coaches and clubs that are secure encourage players to play as much as possible especially in showcase events. We have even had DOC's call asking us to take couple of their players to help them get seen!!
                Working together for the best interest of the players?? What a concept!

Comment

Guest playing is great. We have been in the same club for years and guest play all the time for another club across town when ever our club is not doing anything. If your kid loves soccer like mine its an avenue to use to stay active and in addition your able to get more exposure at tournaments. The other thing it helps both clubs in having a working relationship that is condusive to creating a good soccer atmosphere and good sportsmanship. They collaborate all the time and I have not seen any type of crossover of players. This makes both clubs do things at a high level. She loves it, its like she plays for two teams. And in addition there has never been any signs of animosity from any of the other players or parents.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                    Those who complain most about guest players are the parents on the 11th or 12th player on the team. So when the guest player comes, their little star doesn't get to play. The answer is simple, have your player work harder and become better, then they won't sit when a guest player comes.
                    Not exactly. My child hardly ever sits on a top 10 team and could start on any team in this state. In fact they have been asked to guest play for the top team and we thanked them but said no.

I think its unfair for teams to get ranking points with someone elses players. I also think it is unfair for the kids on the team who do not get to play but have to pay for all the fees and dedicate all the time to the team. When someone else starts paying the bills then I don't see an issue as that is life. For amateur sports it is never a good idea.

Comment

My question on guest playing is always to the coach, "Why didn't you do a better job recruiting for your club or team?" or "Why can't you make what you have even better?". I think guest playing for the most part is just an easy out excuse for the coach. (At this level, professional sports is another issue).

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                        My question on guest playing is always to the coach, "Why didn't you do a better job recruiting for your club or team?" or "Why can't you make what you have even better?". I think guest playing for the most part is just an easy out excuse for the coach. (At this level, professional sports is another issue).

I don't have an issue with guest players! My issue is with parents claiming how great thier team is when come tournament time you use guest players to win! Then when you don't win state cup or region(for the juniors) without those guests they have a thousands excuses as to why the team played bad...Otherwise guest play who cares, sometime you can't get a specific player because he lives to far and guest playing is the only option...

Comment

The issue with parents bragging is not anything to do with the good and bad of guest playing. I don't think that you can give a coach grief about the job he does when he has guest players for tounaments. If your team has a lack of talent what do you want the coach to do. All he can do is develope the players the best he can. Having a couple of good guest players on a team that lacks some talent can help that teams gain confidence. In addition those guest players (if they are very good) can help develope the team.

Comment

I have read all the posts and see good points in some of them.
                            Someone said you need guest players to make up for injuries that happen after you sign up for a tourney. I agree with that, but to take it further, guest players should only be allowed to take the spot of an injured player, not one that can't come because the family has other plans that weekend. It really ticks me off when that happens. If the tournament schedule is done early in the year, you have made a commitment to the team and need to arrange your family schedule around it. On the other side of the injury thing, the guest player also takes a chance of getting hurt while guesting, therefore they are not available to help their home team while injured. My son's coach didn't forbid guesting, he just talked to them in that respect to discourage it.
                            And if your kid wants to guest to stay active when their team isn't doing anything, they should look into 3v3, those happen all the time.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                            Auto-Saved
                            x
                            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                            x
                            Working...
                            X