Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by forcepush71 View Post
    I think the poster was referring only to the D3 schools that recruit from the teams outside of the Blazers, Bolts, GPS etc.... The implication being that Amherst etc... also recruit from Botls, Revs etc.... I could be wrong though.
    Correct. The OP was implying that kids in the wrong leagues and wrong teams will only draw tepid interest from unattractive D3s that they will have no interest in attending. And while we can wonder why the OP bothered to start a thread like this his overall point in that regard is largely true.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Do you mean those academically crappy D3 schools like Babson, Bowdoin, Amherst, Brandeis, Williams?
      Didn't notice Babson on your list. Babson is pretty crappy.

Comment

Yes, tell that to the grads of the #1 college for entrepreneurship in the country, according to the Princeton Review.

Comment

I think the poster was referring only to the D3 schools that recruit from the teams outside of the Blazers, Bolts, GPS etc.... The implication being that Amherst etc... also recruit from Botls, Revs etc.... I could be wrong though.
          Check the lists of commitments from the past few years. There are plenty of players from "other" clubs playing for excellent schools.

Comment

No they don't. 80% of Rev's and Bolts go D1. Go back to your six pack

OP here. I hint some sarcasm in your post but if you're serious I suggest letting your son tryout for some of the teams I've posted in the starting post. Does he really like soccer? If he shows potential of playing for a division 1 school, it's good to start early and freshman year of high school is a good starting point.

Revolution Academy: If your son is good enough, he will make the team. Everything is free for players who are accepted into the academy. Probably produces the best players in our area so if you're good enough, this is your best bet at a shot at a roster spot on a D1 college team. Many college showcases with DAP sanctioned games. This is the hotbed of college recruiting. Tryouts are held in the summer if I recall correctly.

MPS Bulldogs: Good coaches for highschool-aged players and year around training. Good placement into top academic colleges with good soccer programs. Tryouts are also held during the summer, but MPS allows some players on the radar to come and train with the team for a practice to see how they can play.

Blazers: I've been close to the Blazers and they have a great coaching system which may be a turn off for a lot of players. The coaches have a no nonesense mentality and if you're son is disciplined, he will progress tremendously as a player on the Blazers. Again, the coaching staff for the Blazers will not be for everyone. Tryouts are in the summer and tryouts for Blazers requires more fitness and cardio than Revolution or Bulldogs so if your son is trying out for the Blazers, make sure he's conditioned. Coaches love the beep test here.

Bolts: Another top team that competes in the DAP. Watch out, they'll hold tryouts but very few make the actual Academy team. Most players will be given spots on their showcase and premier team but those are just revenue-making teams, pretty much a glorified Maple town team. They don't play at the highest level nor do they get any exceptional coaching and they play against very low-level opponents. Don't play for the Bolts if it isn't the DAP team. Trust me on this one.

The rest of the clubs are just that, they're money-grabbers. If you don't play for these teams, just keep in mind that you're not competing at the highest level of soccer in New England and that college exposure will won't be as high. You're mainly playing for FUN or for the occasional D3 college coach that passes by. But these D3 schools won't have anything academically to offer.

To the first poster, I don't drink especially when you already drank the six pack. If you think that 80% of the the DAP roster goes to D1 then you are, in fact, drunk. If you want to change that to 80% of the regular starters then you are closing in on it. The Bolts class that is graduating in 2015 has about 25% going D1.

As for the rest of the post, I might agree that in New England (Revs Bolts, Seacoast) the DAP have strong players, however, I would not say that they are without peer. GPS and NEFC have remodeled and I suspect that fewer players will leave these clubs just to play DAP, or like many of the roster, not play.

The Blazers have a no-nonsense coach that has lost quite a bit of his club. His strongest team is the current U18 team. I am not so sure what he has left after that. At best, FO is trying to rebuild. At worst they will be a shell of their top years.

As for how you are defining the 'highest level' some might debate. If the only definition is how many kids attend a D1 soccer program thereafter then there are flaws to that. While certainly a clear statistic it is not 100% full-proof. Would it be better to attend a top D3 school or a low level D1 school? Is it better to play at Amherst or Central Conn State?

Finally, your statement is merely a sideline toss when there is no suggestion. What is that you would like to have done? How would you suggest that New England 'fix its problem'?

Comment

Babson is a crappy school. 3.0 GPA students are easily admitted with a generous financial aid package.

Comment

Check the lists of commitments from the past few years. There are plenty of players from "other" clubs playing for excellent schools.
                They're very few and far between

Comment

They're very few and far between
                  Not true in terms of recent history. The OP should have qualified his list of 'haves' and 'have nots' by including the other 2-3 top non-DAP teams each year. Over the past 5-6 years clubs like NEFC, Stars, SF Vikings, Aztecs, Western United, Crusaders, etc have produced a lot of D3 players going to top-flight D3s with a few going D1. CU, for instance, in just the last few years has had kids go to UMass, Providence, Hartford, UVM, Brandeis, Williams, Trinity, Wesleyan, Tufts, Rochester, Kenyon, WPI, Wheaton, etc. The other clubs mentioned have had similar results.

Comment

Not true in terms of recent history. The OP should have qualified his list of 'haves' and 'have nots' by including the other 2-3 top non-DAP teams each year. Over the past 5-6 years clubs like NEFC, Stars, SF Vikings, Aztecs, Western United, Crusaders, etc have produced a lot of D3 players going to top-flight D3s with a few going D1. CU, for instance, in just the last few years has had kids go to UMass, Providence, Hartford, UVM, Brandeis, Williams, Trinity, Wesleyan, Tufts, Rochester, Kenyon, WPI, Wheaton, etc. The other clubs mentioned have had similar results.
                    I don't think you're getting OP's point here. He's not saying that players who don't play on the Blazers, Bolts, MPS or Revs Academy won't ever get a chance to play at good soccer schools but he's making a point that it's very hard to. The OP also points to D1/D3 schools in high regards, not schools like Wheaton, Babson, etc where anyone even without the help of soccer can easily get in. The statistics and facts point to the OP's favor right now as I'm doing a little more research because I was curious myself.

Comment

OP here. I hint some sarcasm in your post but if you're serious I suggest letting your son tryout for some of the teams I've posted in the starting post. Does he really like soccer? If he shows potential of playing for a division 1 school, it's good to start early and freshman year of high school is a good starting point.

Revolution Academy: If your son is good enough, he will make the team. Everything is free for players who are accepted into the academy. Probably produces the best players in our area so if you're good enough, this is your best bet at a shot at a roster spot on a D1 college team. Many college showcases with DAP sanctioned games. This is the hotbed of college recruiting. Tryouts are held in the summer if I recall correctly.

MPS Bulldogs: Good coaches for highschool-aged players and year around training. Good placement into top academic colleges with good soccer programs. Tryouts are also held during the summer, but MPS allows some players on the radar to come and train with the team for a practice to see how they can play.

Blazers: I've been close to the Blazers and they have a great coaching system which may be a turn off for a lot of players. The coaches have a no nonesense mentality and if you're son is disciplined, he will progress tremendously as a player on the Blazers. Again, the coaching staff for the Blazers will not be for everyone. Tryouts are in the summer and tryouts for Blazers requires more fitness and cardio than Revolution or Bulldogs so if your son is trying out for the Blazers, make sure he's conditioned. Coaches love the beep test here.

Bolts: Another top team that competes in the DAP. Watch out, they'll hold tryouts but very few make the actual Academy team. Most players will be given spots on their showcase and premier team but those are just revenue-making teams, pretty much a glorified Maple town team. They don't play at the highest level nor do they get any exceptional coaching and they play against very low-level opponents. Don't play for the Bolts if it isn't the DAP team. Trust me on this one.

The rest of the clubs are just that, they're money-grabbers. If you don't play for these teams, just keep in mind that you're not competing at the highest level of soccer in New England and that college exposure will won't be as high. You're mainly playing for FUN or for the occasional D3 college coach that passes by. But these D3 schools won't have anything academically to offer.
                      Jeez Louise.... Hey DB the vast majority of kids play soccer for the love of the game. Period. Even only a small percentage of those kids that THINK they are good enough ever play college soccer. Finally, D3 is not that hard to get a slot on. The four teams you mentioned cannot possibly supply the demand for players for even schools located inside of Boston let alone throughout New England. But go ahead Corky, keep patting yourself on the back about how you have it all figured out and how wonderful your kid is. I hear the dollar store is running two for one specials on rose colored glasses.

Comment

Jeez Louise.... Hey DB the vast majority of kids play soccer for the love of the game. Period. Even only a small percentage of those kids that THINK they are good enough ever play college soccer. Finally, D3 is not that hard to get a slot on. The four teams you mentioned cannot possibly supply the demand for players for even schools located inside of Boston let alone throughout New England. But go ahead Corky, keep patting yourself on the back about how you have it all figured out and how wonderful your kid is. I hear the dollar store is running two for one specials on rose colored glasses.
                        No one cares about soccer outside of D1 colleges or top D3 colleges like NESCAC and UAA here in New England. If your kid plays for a sub par, no-name D3 school that's great and if he enjoys it that's even greater. Just stop arguing whether NEP or Maple is better because most of the players will either not play college soccer or end up at a no-name D3 school and will probably quit soccer after a year or two in college because of how bad the whole soccer environment is at a no-name D3 soccer school.

Comment

No they don't. 80% of Rev's and Bolts go D1. Go back to your six pack

To the first poster, I don't drink especially when you already drank the six pack. If you think that 80% of the the DAP roster goes to D1 then you are, in fact, drunk. If you want to change that to 80% of the regular starters then you are closing in on it. The Bolts class that is graduating in 2015 has about 25% going D1.

As for the rest of the post, I might agree that in New England (Revs Bolts, Seacoast) the DAP have strong players, however, I would not say that they are without peer. GPS and NEFC have remodeled and I suspect that fewer players will leave these clubs just to play DAP, or like many of the roster, not play.

The Blazers have a no-nonsense coach that has lost quite a bit of his club. His strongest team is the current U18 team. I am not so sure what he has left after that. At best, FO is trying to rebuild. At worst they will be a shell of their top years.

As for how you are defining the 'highest level' some might debate. If the only definition is how many kids attend a D1 soccer program thereafter then there are flaws to that. While certainly a clear statistic it is not 100% full-proof. Would it be better to attend a top D3 school or a low level D1 school? Is it better to play at Amherst or Central Conn State?

Finally, your statement is merely a sideline toss when there is no suggestion. What is that you would like to have done? How would you suggest that New England 'fix its problem'?
                          "foolproof" not "full-proof." (meaning impervious to human incompetence)

Comment

I don't think you're getting OP's point here. He's not saying that players who don't play on the Blazers, Bolts, MPS or Revs Academy won't ever get a chance to play at good soccer schools but he's making a point that it's very hard to. The OP also points to D1/D3 schools in high regards, not schools like Wheaton, Babson, etc where anyone even without the help of soccer can easily get in. The statistics and facts point to the OP's favor right now as I'm doing a little more research because I was curious myself.
                            I got the point, and countered it. The OP's overview was quite distorted. At least 2-3 other clubs each year produce at least a handful or more of players for very good to excellent D3s with a sprinkling of D1s.

Comment

Relax. The guy mixed one thing up, his assessment seems pretty spot on to me and seems to know what he's talking about.
                              No, not really. The OP makes the same mistake that so many posters make on this site. They say things like "Club X sucks," or "Club Y is better than Club Z," when the fact is that it's not about the club at all. It's about the team. These broad club-wide assessments might have some validity to them if any of these large clubs were able to maintain any consistency with their coaching, but they're not. Each of those clubs has good coaches and bad coaches, and you can't assume that just because you're playing for their top team at an age level, you'll get good coaching. It's all very hit and miss.

Comment

I got the point, and countered it. The OP's overview was quite distorted. At least 2-3 other clubs each year produce at least a handful or more of players for very good to excellent D3s with a sprinkling of D1s.
                                You didn't counter anything. You have no facts to prove what you said.
                                Maybe one or two players from these "other" clubs go on to play some good D3 soccer but that's expected. The OP's point still makes the most sense fact-wise.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X