Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seeking Advice: Play up with grade for High School Years?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeking Advice: Play up with grade for High School Years?

My daughter is young for her grade.
    She is a solid starter but not spectacular player for a top 5 team in MA, playing down with her age rather than up with her grade. Goals for college would be a top D3 program like a NESCAC. I presume that eventually she needs to play back up with "her grade" in order for college coaches to see her at the appropriate point in their cycles?
    I assume that they mostly watch teams of Juniors, so that when she is a Junior, she better be playing on a team of predominantly Juniors, even if it means playing on a lesser team?

Am I correct in the assumption that she need to play up?
    And if so, when does she need to make the switch by?

Thanks in advance to serious responders.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    She is a solid starter but not spectacular player for a top 5 team in MA, playing down with her age rather than up with her grade. Goals for college would be a top D3 program like a NESCAC. I presume that eventually she needs to play back up with "her grade" in order for college coaches to see her at the appropriate point in their cycles?
    I assume that they mostly watch teams of Juniors, so that when she is a Junior, she better be playing on a team of predominantly Juniors, even if it means playing on a lesser team?

If you think her future is in d3, why does it matter where she plays?

If you told me her future is in d1 then she needs to play as a sophomore with her grade. Junior year maybe too late

Comment

I don't believe your assumption is correct. College coaches are looking at girls within an age range (and are aware of your type of situation), from typical freshman-to-junior years. If your kid is "not spectacular," anyway, she wouldn't be recruited early and D3s recruit later--so nothing lost there. Moreover, she would be less spectacular playing "up" with her grade.

Of greater concern is whether her club-age team is going to legitimate showcase events by the typical sophomore-age year. That your kid would be a year closer to college could even work in her favor, since there will be less of a gap between what they're seeing and what they would be getting. Also, your kid might be able to guest at some showcase events with the grade-age team, if your club is wiling to be helpful and values her staying on her club-age team.

Comment

I don't believe your assumption is correct. College coaches are looking at girls within an age range (and are aware of your type of situation), from typical freshman-to-junior years. If your kid is "not spectacular," anyway, she wouldn't be recruited early and D3s recruit later--so nothing lost there. Moreover, she would be less spectacular playing "up" with her grade.

Of greater concern is whether her club-age team is going to legitimate showcase events by the typical sophomore-age year. That your kid would be a year closer to college could even work in her favor, since there will be less of a gap between what they're seeing and what they would be getting. Also, your kid might be able to guest at some showcase events with the grade-age team, if your club is wiling to be helpful and values her staying on her club-age team.
        Why would they even be worried about showcasing her? Honestly, read what that poster wrote about their daughter, she's a non spectacular player who is playing DOWN against younger competition. Does anyone honestly think that showcasing this player is going to do anything at all even at the D3 level? Base upon that description, soccer is not going to have any sort of impact in where that kid goes to school at all, they are just going to be a regular admit who happens to play soccer. Even at the D3 level. Getting involved with all of the insanity that is involved with going to showcases is completely unnecessary.

Comment

Why would they even be worried about showcasing her? Honestly, read what that poster wrote about their daughter, she's a non spectacular player who is playing DOWN against younger competition. Does anyone honestly think that showcasing this player is going to do anything at all even at the D3 level? Base upon that description, soccer is not going to have any sort of impact in where that kid goes to school at all, they are just going to be a regular admit who happens to play soccer. Even at the D3 level. Getting involved with all of the insanity that is involved with going to showcases is completely unnecessary.
          Thanks, BTDT. I'm a very capable reader. I was offering the kind of advice asked for. I'm assuming the poster knows enough about his kid's situation to support the goal. If the kid turns out not to be a NESCAC-quality soccer recruit, there's no indication that catastrophe would result.

Everyone paying attention understands that you think club soccer and showcasing are not needed for even top-tier D3. I have no agendas on this front--including trying to dictate to possible D3-level players how important college soccer should be relative to academics. But maybe the poster will find helpful your intervention and the reiteration of your point of view.

Comment

Thanks, BTDT. I'm a very capable reader. I was offering the kind of advice asked for. I'm assuming the poster knows enough about his kid's situation to support the goal. If the kid turns out not to be a NESCAC-quality soccer recruit, there's no indication that catastrophe would result.

Everyone paying attention understands that you think club soccer and showcasing are not needed for even top-tier D3. I have no agendas on this front--including trying to dictate to possible D3-level players how important college soccer should be relative to academics. But maybe the poster will find helpful your intervention and the reiteration of your point of view.
            LOL. Now BTDT is going to swear that you weren't responding to BTDT. The rest of us may have some issues, but it is impossible to measure how obsessed BTNT is with dominating and controlling this site (and apparently the other state sites as well).

Comment

LOL. Do you feel better now that you got to rant at your obsession. Glad to facilitate that for you buddy. Do you have it all out of your system now idiot? Not to obvious what your goal was since you keep trolling for a response with your infantile fictions. What is this like the third thread this week you infused with the same stupid story line. Are you really that pathetic that you really need that much validation for the way things worked out for you with club soccer? Joke's on you though. Here's what the rest of us surmise about you. You thought your kid was destined for the Ivy League but got your comeuppance and had to settle for a also ran D3 school once you found out your kid wasn't all that special a soccer player and her board scores weren't anywhere near enough what the Ivies wanted. Keep trolling fool, you just make yourself look more and more ridiculous with every passing post.

Comment

LOL. Do you feel better now that you got to rant at your obsession. Glad to facilitate that for you buddy. Do you have it all out of your system now idiot? Not to obvious what your goal was since you keep trolling for a response with your infantile fictions. What is this like the third thread this week you infused with the same stupid story line. Are you really that pathetic that you really need that much validation for the way things worked out for you with club soccer? Joke's on you though. Here's what the rest of us surmise about you. You thought your kid was destined for the Ivy League but got your comeuppance and had to settle for a also ran D3 school once you found out your kid wasn't all that special a soccer player and her board scores weren't anywhere near enough what the Ivies wanted. Keep trolling fool, you just make yourself look more and more ridiculous with every passing post.
                Oh no, BTDT is ticked off. Not an attractive look for you here, BTDT.

I started one thread that was obviously a clear parody of your fiction fetish. Nothing to do with starting any others.

When you say "what the rest of us surmise," who is the US, LOL?

And thanks for your very kind and generous words about my kid.

Comment

Make the move to play your grade now UNLESS you might consider a gap year. I would also suggest looking to see if there are any camps where coaches from schools your daughter might be interested in attending will be at. You and she can get a bit of an idea of the level of player. Don't forget to start doing tours.

Good luck

Comment

Make the move to play your grade now UNLESS you might consider a gap year. I would also suggest looking to see if there are any camps where coaches from schools your daughter might be interested in attending will be at. You and she can get a bit of an idea of the level of player. Don't forget to start doing tours.

Good luck
                    Not necessary.

As long as your daughter is proactive about contacting coaches she will be seen. This is especially true for d3 coaches.

Dropping down to a lower tier team is not a good way to continue development or showcase your abilities.

Comment

Why would they even be worried about sho a wcasing her? Honestly, read what that poster wrote about their daughter, she's a non spectacular player who is playing DOWN against younger competition. Does anyone honestly think that showcasing this player is going to do anything at all even at the D3 level? Base upon that description, soccer is not going to have any sort of impact in where that kid goes to school at all, they are just going to be a regular admit who happens to play soccer. Even at the D3 level. Getting involved with all of the insanity that is involved with going to showcases is completely unnecessary.
                      You don't need to be a great player to play D3 at a NESCAC. She should stick with age appropriate levels until age 14, after that age doesn't matter. The only people who will tell you that you have to be a star to play D3 are the blowhards in here with inflated opinions of their kids ability publicly but who privately know their kid has had their spot purchased with their ability to pay big $$$ to play. D3 is pedestrian - average soccer. Even D1 isn't all that it is cracked up to be. BTW if your daughter is 5-8 or taller think D1.

Comment

OP again ...

Thanks for the thoughts - just to refine/re-iterate for additional posters.

She's solid - very solid - I'm just being objective in the "non-spectacular" assessment - she's a good player on a very good team.
                        I don't know if she could play big time D1 somewhere, but I don't care, because she doesn't want that. She's a good student with other interests. I just want soccer to help get her into a good school and help her have fun once she's there. To me, that sounds like NESCAC? Maybe an Ivy is possible? I assume that is halfway between NESCAC and a D1 in terms of commit level?

In any case, that is the neighborhood of feed back that I am looking for.

Thanks in advance again ...

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts - just to refine/re-iterate for additional posters.

She's solid - very solid - I'm just being objective in the "non-spectacular" assessment - she's a good player on a very good team.
                          I don't know if she could play big time D1 somewhere, but I don't care, because she doesn't want that. She's a good student with other interests. I just want soccer to help get her into a good school and help her have fun once she's there. To me, that sounds like NESCAC? Maybe an Ivy is possible? I assume that is halfway between NESCAC and a D1 in terms of commit level?

In any case, that is the neighborhood of feed back that I am looking for.

Thanks in advance again ...
                          Let's get to the main point then. At the D3 level what you are talking about is a "tip" which is not actually a guarantee of admission, just a little extra weight considered when all things are equal. A tip is not like an academic concession in D1, the student needs to actually meet the criteria for admission into the school. A tip really isn't much but it is the only leverage a D3 coach has to recruit with and they do use them when they can. Now what you also need to know is most D3 schools only give their women's soccer coach 1-2 tips a year so they just don't give them out for anyone. You need to ask yourself first is what level of soccer player do you think a D3 college coach is looking for for their 1-2 "tips"? Is it just an solid player or are they looking for something exceptional? Does that describe your daughter? The next reality you need to face is even if your daughter were to get a "tip" from some coach she still will have to be able to get into the school on her academic merits first otherwise the tip means nothing. Just based upon what you have written you should probably prepare yourself that soccer is just not going to open any doors for your daughter. BTW the top Ivy League schools (Harvard, Yale, Princeton) only give their version of tips to national team level players and what you should be looking at is whether you think your kid can score above 2100 on her SAT's because that is basically what she would need in addition to being a "solid" soccer player to go that route.

Comment

Let's get to the main point then. At the D3 level what you are talking about is a "tip" which is not actually a guarantee of admission, just a little extra weight considered when all things are equal. A tip is not like an academic concession in D1, the student needs to actually meet the criteria for admission into the school. A tip really isn't much but it is the only leverage a D3 coach has to recruit with and they do use them when they can. Now what you also need to know is most D3 schools only give their women's soccer coach 1-2 tips a year so they just don't give them out for anyone. You need to ask yourself first is what level of soccer player do you think a D3 college coach is looking for for their 1-2 "tips"? Is it just an solid player or are they looking for something exceptional? Does that describe your daughter? The next reality you need to face is even if your daughter were to get a "tip" from some coach she still will have to be able to get into the school on her academic merits first otherwise the tip means nothing. Just based upon what you have written you should probably prepare yourself that soccer is just not going to open any doors for your daughter. BTW the top Ivy League schools (Harvard, Yale, Princeton) only give their version of tips to national team level players and what you should be looking at is whether you think your kid can score above 2100 on her SAT's because that is basically what she would need in addition to being a "solid" soccer player to go that route.
                            I'm sure the OP enjoyed a lecture about what he or she was really talking about, but unfortunately you CLEARLY have no clue about how the real D3 works. Ever notice how all of your posts require the poster to admit a series of shortcomings all crescendo-ing into abject failure and a demand that the poster admit that failure? What about those who get in without a formal tip or "support" but are able to play, and where there was a correlation between that ability to play and the training/preparation to get to that level to play?

Comment

Tips actually are for kids who otherwise most likely would not get into a school. And that's why coaches at good to high level D3s should be and are quite judicious in handing them out. That said, most schools are going to want the kids getting tips to be at least reasonably close to usual admit standards. It's in no one's interest to tip a kid destined to fail academically at that institution. Contrary to popular belief, qualifying academically and athletically is OK too. Who actually plays will be determined on the training ground and not by who got tipped or not, or who was ranked this or that.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X