Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    This is trivially true, of course. The reason college coaches are reluctant to recruit kids who "only" play high school is not simply that they only play high school. But by only playing high school (except in cases of remarkably strong high school leagues), those kids make it very difficult for a college coach to evaluate the true level of ability--measured against roughly the type of comparably strong players who will be found in the college game, since by far most of those players are playing club soccer.
    Funny how coaches in every other sport BUT soccer manage to use HS competition to find world class athletes. Please spares us the bull**** spread around by the sharks who clean out your wallet. Soccer is filled with such arrogant *******s it is pathetic. We have the crappiest pro leagues even though soccer parents spend more money than all the other youth sports combined. For what? Dropping $150K over 10 years so their kid can get $50k in scholarship money from a D1 school that graduates illiterates.

Comment

Funny how coaches in every other sport BUT soccer manage to use HS competition to find world class athletes. Please spares us the bull**** spread around by the sharks who clean out your wallet. Soccer is filled with such arrogant *******s it is pathetic. We have the crappiest pro leagues even though soccer parents spend more money than all the other youth sports combined. For what? Dropping $150K over 10 years so their kid can get $50k in scholarship money from a D1 school that graduates illiterates.
      The alcohol must still be flowing. You've had more than enough.

Comment

Actually the point is pretty much on target. High school sports do play a big role in recruiting in most other sports. Yes they all have their version of club soccer but in those other sports there seems to be much more objectivity and only the true D1 prospects go gallivanting all over the country like club soccer teams do.

Comment

This is trivially true, of course. The reason college coaches are reluctant to recruit kids who "only" play high school is not simply that they only play high school. But by only playing high school (except in cases of remarkably strong high school leagues), those kids make it very difficult for a college coach to evaluate the true level of ability--measured against roughly the type of comparably strong players who will be found in the college game, since by far most of those players are playing club soccer.
          D1 soccer coaches will look at a player in a high school contest they just don't typically form a first impression or probably base a final decision on one. Smart coaches know that there is lots to be learned by how a player handles themselves in such contests so you will often see them at high school games when they are tracking a specific player. Not uncommon at all.

Comment

Actually the point is pretty much on target. High school sports do play a big role in recruiting in most other sports. Yes they all have their version of club soccer but in those other sports there seems to be much more objectivity and only the true D1 prospects go gallivanting all over the country like club soccer teams do.
            As a HS coach I have to disagree somewhat - I've seen the situation changing quite rapidly in the last ten years. Soccer is just ahead of the game on that front. But other sports are quickly catching up with their own clubs/leagues/showcases and traveling all over. Just this summer while taking one of my own kids on college tours we saw a massive LAX showcase at one school and a cheer competition at another. A lot of hockey players have to play club because their HS teams aren't very good (public ones). In many other sports athletes compete/participate outside of HS "off season" to keep developing and reach that higher level. HS football is one area where HS play still has a role in recruiting. HS track is another one where an athlete's record is very objective - they either win races/set times or they don't.

Personally it saddens me a bit. Maybe I'm nostalgic for the days of three sport HS athletes. I've seen many kids burnout playing the same sport almost year round - or they get repetitive use injuries.

Comment

Thanks, BTDT. Your force-fed "reality checks" are always welcome because you have earned the presumption that your motivations are pure and that you have religiously followed your own advice. Here's hoping this is your best and most prolific day ever on TS. Maybe some posts on "half-breeds" from you today here on MLK Day.

Comment

Thanks, BTDT. Your force-fed "reality checks" are always welcome because you have earned the presumption that your motivations are pure and that you have religiously followed your own advice. Here's hoping this is your best and most prolific day ever on TS. Maybe some posts on "half-breeds" from you today here on MLK Day.
                and the obsession continues

Comment

As a HS coach I have to disagree somewhat - I've seen the situation changing quite rapidly in the last ten years. Soccer is just ahead of the game on that front. But other sports are quickly catching up with their own clubs/leagues/showcases and traveling all over. Just this summer while taking one of my own kids on college tours we saw a massive LAX showcase at one school and a cheer competition at another. A lot of hockey players have to play club because their HS teams aren't very good (public ones). In many other sports athletes compete/participate outside of HS "off season" to keep developing and reach that higher level. HS football is one area where HS play still has a role in recruiting. HS track is another one where an athlete's record is very objective - they either win races/set times or they don't.

Personally it saddens me a bit. Maybe I'm nostalgic for the days of three sport HS athletes. I've seen many kids burnout playing the same sport almost year round - or they get repetitive use injuries.
                  This may be true but club soccer seems to be leading the pack when it comes to creating the impression that one must participate at the club level if one wants to have any hope of playing at any level in college.

Comment

This may be true but club soccer seems to be leading the pack when it comes to creating the impression that one must participate at the club level if one wants to have any hope of playing at any level in college.
                    Lacrosse and Hockey are huge club sports and there is just as much traveling and money spent in those sports as well. There is also AAU Basketball and Baseball which is almost imperative for any player with college aspirations. Soccer is hardly alone in this regard.

Comment

Lacrosse and Hockey are huge club sports and there is just as much traveling and money spent in those sports as well. There is also AAU Basketball and Baseball which is almost imperative for any player with college aspirations. Soccer is hardly alone in this regard.
                      No it isn't. As the other poster said many sports have ratcheted up in the last ten years or so. Soccer just beat them to it. When my kids were little I used to scoff at others who I knew did it, yet here I am doing the same thing now!

Comment

And fortunately or unfortunately that impression is true.

Comment

and the obsession continues
                          As the other poster has suggested, the irony of you continually posting this, and being here to continually post it, are beyond telling.

Comment

For a mental health 'professional' Perspective is amazingly easy to mess with.

Comment

Go watch pay to play Jr hockey in NH and you will see how the club model is so fraut with fraud and hype. Then go watch REAL Jr Hockey in Canada. US jr hockey is basically JV hockey with a big bill.

Comment

One of the starting midfielders for the Cannons just bagged my groceries at stop and shop tonight. I tossed him a fiver as a tip so he could knock off some of the interest on the $80,000 in student loans his scholarship didn't cover......

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X