Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are benefits of collegiate soccer worth the costs? Are parents concerned about this?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Yes I am concerned about this because I would like to see my children go to a competitive grad school.

So my next question to myself is -- if college soccer is not really the goal, then how much club soccer is needed for my child to make a good high school varsity soccer team.

When do I strongly suggest an alternative to club soccer like AAU baseball or USTA tennis?

Good question.
    -- Pathfinder
    I think you will find the same shenanigans with any youth sports club teams.

Although I am somewhat skeptical of your motives based on prior posts, here is the breakdown of my D's varsity team this past season: 6 GPS NPL, 3 Breakers ECNL, 3 NEFC 2nd team, 2 NEFC NPL, 2 Stars NPL, 1 Stars 3rd team, 1 Breakers 3rd team. All are still playing club. As I understand it, JV was about 60-40 club vs non club.

Comment

Although I am somewhat skeptical of your motives based on prior posts, here is the breakdown of my D's varsity team this past season: 6 GPS NPL, 3 Breakers ECNL, 3 NEFC 2nd team, 2 NEFC NPL, 2 Stars NPL, 1 Stars 3rd team, 1 Breakers 3rd team. All are still playing club. As I understand it, JV was about 60-40 club vs non club.
      A teams = 11
      B teams = 4
      C teams = 2

What was the total number of players on the roster? Is it safe to say that they are not playing for a club soccer team?

Comment

A teams = 11
        B teams = 4
        C teams = 2

What was the total number of players on the roster? Is it safe to say that they are not playing for a club soccer team?
        It's safe to say they aren't playing for the HS team.

Comment

A teams = 11
          B teams = 4
          C teams = 2

18 total. All were club players. You missed 1 b team player. The season before there were three seniors who didn't play club but I think they did when they were younger.

Comment

18 total. All were club players. You missed 1 b team player. The season before there were three seniors who didn't play club but I think they did when they were younger.
            How far did this team advance in the state tournament? Is it is a special team or just a random high school team.

Comment

How far did this team advance in the state tournament? Is it is a special team or just a random high school team.
              Quarterfinals, but team is young.

Comment

Yes playing soccer in college is a commitment. Playing any college sport is a commitment, and it leads to a very different college experience. But, there are benefits beyond scholarships --

Typically, regardless of division, college soccer players will have access to priority in class scheduling, specialized counseling and tutoring (different than tutoring that would be available to regular students), study tables, training table meals, preferred housing options, as well as access to training facilities and trainers. And, likely soon, cash stipends as a result of the O'Bannon case.

It is a kin to having a near full time job while going to school though. It limits what courses of study you can pursue, and for kids who are serious students it is a strain on their social life. You spend a lot of time with your teammates so you better like them enough to make that workable.

Comment

Yes playing soccer in college is a commitment. Playing any college sport is a commitment, and it leads to a very different college experience. But, there are benefits beyond scholarships --

Typically, regardless of division, college soccer players will have access to priority in class scheduling, specialized counseling and tutoring (different than tutoring that would be available to regular students), study tables, training table meals, preferred housing options, as well as access to training facilities and trainers. And, likely soon, cash stipends as a result of the O'Bannon case.

It is a kin to having a near full time job while going to school though. It limits what courses of study you can pursue, and for kids who are serious students it is a strain on their social life. You spend a lot of time with your teammates so you better like them enough to make that workable.
                  Thanks BTDT. You left out the guaranteed med school slots via community college.

Comment

Thanks BTDT. You left out the guaranteed med school slots via community college.
                    Jealous your kid didn't get the same offer?

Comment

Jealous your kid didn't get the same offer?
                      LOL. Absolutely. You got it. Kills me every day to think about how my kid had to earn his med school offers all on his own.

Comment

LOL. Absolutely. You got it. Kills me every day to think about how my kid had to earn his med school offers all on his own.
                        Don't forget that you had to pay a pretty penny no doubt just for the opportunity to apply to those med schools and now with Obamacare he'll be making slightly above minimum wage when he gets out of Med School. That was a hell of plan you put into place there Perspective.

Comment

I am not sure what the shenanigans have to do with it. The reason I bring up the other sports is so that my children could be balanced across different seasons.

My logic is -- if college sports is not on the table because of ability or other aspirations when do you encourage other sports and get off the club soccer merri-go-round.

Is it at 13? 14? 15? Some where around there I think it makes sense to redirect

-- Pathfinder

Comment

I am not sure what the shenanigans have to do with it. The reason I bring up the other sports is so that my children could be balanced across different seasons.

My logic is -- if college sports is not on the table because of ability or other aspirations when do you encourage other sports and get off the club soccer merri-go-round.

Is it at 13? 14? 15? Some where around there I think it makes sense to redirect

-- Pathfinder
                            With our children we paired down to two sports for middle school and then after the spring off 8th grade we sat each kid down and discussed where each child saw their favorite sport fitting in their future. Two of mine chose to pursue playing a sport in college. The others didn't. We asked each of them to commit to chasing their goal (be it a sport or academic goal) and we promised to fully support their efforts. All of our kids played at least one varsity sport in high school (and some did a low level club team to keep in shape and/or work on having a bigger impact on their varsity team) but only the two that committed to chasing a college scholarship did anything like one of these high level club teams we now see.

Comment

With our children we paired down to two sports for middle school and then after the spring off 8th grade we sat each kid down and discussed where each child saw their favorite sport fitting in their future. Two of mine chose to pursue playing a sport in college. The others didn't. We asked each of them to commit to chasing their goal (be it a sport or academic goal) and we promised to fully support their efforts. All of our kids played at least one varsity sport in high school (and some did a low level club team to keep in shape and/or work on having a bigger impact on their varsity team) but only the two that committed to chasing a college scholarship did anything like one of these high level club teams we now see.
                              Great parenting.

Comment

This describes d1 only

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X