Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are your kids really developing?

Watch your kids and ask yourself, is my kid AND his/her team really developing? I look for my son to improve at least in one aspect of the game each time he steps on the field. Watching this video and reading this article made me think, is the team developing as a whole to reach greatness? Anyways just a thought please check this out i enjoyed it

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/the91...h-development/

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Watch your kids and ask yourself, is my kid AND his/her team really developing? I look for my son to improve at least in one aspect of the game each time he steps on the field. Watching this video and reading this article made me think, is the team developing as a whole to reach greatness? Anyways just a thought please check this out i enjoyed it

My son is developing at an incredible rate now that we have found the right coach. The right coach also means the right team for our son. We went for the best team first and realized that our kid was not developing as an individual and thus we had chosen the wrong coach and approach.

Comment

Loved the video. What was particularly of interest to me is the team that kept possession at the start of the clip had beautiful off the ball movement which allowed the player with the ball options. Note the second part of the video players tend to wait to see where the ball goes. I see D1 Women's college teams that have this problem. In fact the women's college teams I see look an awful lot like those non-developing teams shown in the video. This is not just a player problem, but a coaching problem. Players, including defenders, must be allowed to go forward without concern for the mistakes that may occur if they do.

Comment

Wow...

Comment

Quite a contrast.

Comment

Very good Thread and post. The video really makes the argument for technical possession soccer. We wasted so much time at another club because the team didn't get any better after U11. we looked very much like the "undeveloped" team shown in the video clip. We are in a better place. Thx for posting.

Comment

Okay, so one team plays uncreative possession style football, every time pressure is imminent, the support pass is available at any side.The other is direct style with little or no creativity as well. Neither is good developmental soccer. Typical American analogy whose soccer intelligence is low.
              Not surprised, stick to your strong safeties lads!!

Comment

Okay, so one team plays uncreative possession style football, every time pressure is imminent, the support pass is available at any side.The other is direct style with little or no creativity as well. Neither is good developmental soccer. Typical American analogy whose soccer intelligence is low.
                Precisely, not very impressive with both.

Comment

Rubbish. The undeveloped video is what is wrong with Soccer in America. The "developing" team video is what is missing in the American game and some of the club system. Completely void in the town system. The undeveloped video "IS" how the town and High School teams play. Really bad.

These two videos represent the classic struggle in this country for the soul of our soccer development system. The traditional American soccer person (and there are more of you and than me) will see the first video as creative, fast exciting soccer. Someone like me would say the same video is unskilled American soccer with no development in mind because we think its good to play the beautiful game like hockey.

It will take time to change.

Comment

Also, the two kids hurt were during the undeveloped portion of the video. It's also important to note that nobody said that the developing video indicated that the kids were done developing. It simply pointed out who was improving and developing. The video made that case quite clearly.

Comment

Okay, so one team plays uncreative possession style football, every time pressure is imminent, the support pass is available at any side. The other is direct style with little or no creativity as well. Neither is good developmental soccer. Typical American analogy whose soccer intelligence is low.
                      Does Barca play "uncreative possession style" too?

Comment

In order to " create" , you need imagination. Imagination can't be taught, it emerges from within the individual, due to a variety of factors. The most important of those comes from free will .

Comment

In order to " create" , you need imagination. Imagination can't be taught, it emerges from within the individual, due to a variety of factors. The most important of those comes from free will .
                          I agree, but creativity needs to be encouraged from coaches and trainers, not as we witnessed on the first video, youngsters made to robotically give away the ball when pressure mounts or as the second video showed, get the ball up field to an athletic front 1/3. Free will is good, but needs to be fostered and encouraged from the trainers.
                          Once again, both teams are failing in my opinion.

Comment

I agree, but creativity needs to be encouraged from coaches and trainers, not as we witnessed on the first video, youngsters made to robotically give away the ball when pressure mounts or as the second video showed, get the ball up field to an athletic front 1/3. Free will is good, but needs to be fostered and encouraged from the trainers.
                            Once again, both teams are failing in my opinion.
                            Creativity can be taught. I got a book on creativity from the library and now I'm pretty creative. I was hardly creative at all before. You should read it. Its called Creativity.

Comment

This quote from the article mocking American soccer:

" It’s led to a neurotic insistence on avoiding diving..."

tells me that I wouldn't let the author anywhere near my son or daughter.

Diving is pathetic and ruins the game. That and shirt pulling should be immediate red cards.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X