Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to deal with hit and run insults and rumors?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to deal with hit and run insults and rumors?

Originally posted by in the know
    NOW, NOW CHARACTER ASSASINATION ISN'T REALLY WORTH IT. I live in Springfield and stayed to watch the Stars/Scorps game because someone recommeded it on this forum. I can say with an objective truth, that both coaches coached the game in a very low key manner, they spent alot of time talking to each other ........ So again these posters "under the name guest" just have hidden agenders and in this comment are totally making it up. Please grow up and have objective comments.
    "In the know" brings up a good point with regard to the above anonymous post. There are times when anonymous posters lob out hit and run insults, rumors and innuendo and then sit back and enjoy the resulting posts. I thought "in the know" did a good job above but:

What do you think we should do as a forum when there is an anonymous insult or rumor thrown out there without any backup information?

Re: Best way to deal with hit and run insults and rumors?

Originally posted by sundance
    NOW, NOW CHARACTER ASSASINATION ISN'T REALLY WORTH IT. I live in Springfield and stayed to watch the Stars/Scorps game because someone recommeded it on this forum. I can say with an objective truth, that both coaches coached the game in a very low key manner, they spent alot of time talking to each other ........ So again these posters "under the name guest" just have hidden agenders and in this comment are totally making it up. Please grow up and have objective comments.
    "In the know" brings up a good point with regard to the above anaonymous post.

There are times when anonymous posters lob out hit and run insults, rumors and innuendo and then sit back and enjoy the resulting posts. I thought "in the know" did a good job above but what do you think we should do as a forum when there is an anonymous insult or rumor thrown out there without any backup information?

I think you let it go. Considering all of the MPS, South Coast, Western United rumors/bashing, etc. that I've seen on this forum, I'm surprised that there is such sudden concern. Readers know what's objective and what's not.

Comment

I think I'm with FSM on this, it would be nice if everyone could enter into a gentlemen's agreement to at least post with a user name, but I don't think we'll see that happening.

Comment

Maybe ADMIN could set the forum to require membership.

Comment

What do you think we should do as a forum when there is an anonymous insult or rumor thrown out there without any backup information?
          I like the fact that more people are contributing to the forum than previously, but I don't like the "Guest" option because it is difficult to follow who is saying what and the context which those comments are being made. I think when people put out insults and rumors under "Guest" we should all take their comments with a grain of salt and the assumption that there maybe a personal agenda attached, but I don't like the idea of stifling debate, unless it really gets personal. I'm not sure that anything has yet gotten to that level, IMO. As someone had said they want to know what's going on out there so they are better able to make decisions for their kids.

Using the current comments about the Stars U15 coach as an example. Some people might consider what he does as over the top coaching and some do not. I've got no comment as I haven't seen him coach in recent history, but maybe if I were a parent thinking of having my son or daughter play for him, I might want to watch him coach and then decide for myself. Same for the Bolts, the Scorpions, MPS, whomever happens to be the flavor of the moment.

I definitely have to say, though, the kids are off limit. Unless you have something good to say, then don't say anything at all that will draw attention to an individual player.

And BTW, I just happened to come across this web site this morning. I think it is something that should be shared with our kids, and maybe a few adults too:

http://www.ncpc.org/media/cyberbullying.php
          Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

Comment

Re: Best way to deal with hit and run insults and rumors?

Originally posted by sundance
            "In the know" brings up a good point with regard to the above anonymous post. There are times when anonymous posters lob out hit and run insults, rumors and innuendo and then sit back and enjoy the resulting posts. I thought "in the know" did a good job above but:

It's not so cut and dried. It's difficult to determine beyond the most obvious (naming) insults what is considered an insult. For example, negative comments about MPS are frequently taken as insulting by those involved in their program.

I kind of like the "Guest" option as it makes it easier to contribute. I'm not logged in 24/7 like some of the frequent posters must be, and with the lack of time it's just easier not to respond rather than going through the log in process.

Comment

Such is not valid. The site allows for automatic login. Do you really think that everyone is online 24/7? There are also options to get emails when certain topics are posted to.

It does take looking at the various links scattered around the corners as well as allowing such in one's profile.

Aside from a true first timer, it is rude to continually post as a guest. Such is equivalent to prank phone calls. FYI: IP addresses are tracked/known and even a specific "Guest" can be banned/blocked.

Comment

I do have to admit that this forum has been a lot more user friendly than the old touchline. Honestly, the old Touchline got to the point where it was the same posters posting 90% of the time. At least the option of the guest allows a more diverse discussion, even if it is abused on occasion. There really is no way to completely eliminate the cyber bullying. I do agree however, that most of the guest posts can be taken with a grain of salt.

Well, except fot Fred Marks who keeps forgetting to log in. :laughinghard:

Comment

Ok - so it looks like all who cared to express and opinion have spoken and the concensus seems to be - keep things as they are and take the ananonymous postings with a grain of salt.

If any postings veer into personal attacks or accusations they can be edited or deleted. Please remember that it is unfair to use this board to settle a score or gain revenge when you feel that you or your child have been wronged. Feel free to illustrate what you feel is wrong - express your concern and the reasons for it etc - but please stay away from personal attacks.

It's better to bring the personal situations to the coach, head of the club, ref, league official or legal authorities instead of the trying to ruin the person's name or reputation here.

Comment

Just got back from being away and it appears all heck broke loose over the weekend! Geez this is becoming like backofthenet or the Gotsoccer forums.

Sundance - I assume that you will welcome emails from other posters to point out when they feel these attacks are outside these rules? Obviously your view might be different than the notifier's, but it is nice to know that we can come to you if it appears to us there is a problem. EDIT - Just read the rules (Duh!) - you will welcome reports and have a description of how to do it. Thanks!

These next two questions are substantive -

Are children as targets strictly off limits or do they fall under the same rules as adult targets?

What about racial, gender and ethnic slurs - are these automatically deleted or is there some analysis of how out of line they are. In other words are these treated the same as other personal attacks?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Susy Soccer
                      Just got back from being away and it appears all heck broke loose over the weekend! Geez this is becoming like backofthenet or the Gotsoccer forums.

Sundance - I assume that you will welcome emails from other posters to point out when they feel these attacks are outside these rules? Obviously your view might be different than the notifier's, but it is nice to know that we can come to you if it appears to us there is a problem.

Are children as targets strictly off limits or do they fall under the same rules as adult targets?

What about racial and ethnic slurs - are these automatically deleted or is there some analysis of how out of line they are. Will those IP addresses be blocked?

Thanks.
                      * All PMs welcome

* All children are strictly off limits

* Haven't seen any racial or ethnic slurs but obviously way out of bounds

* Also this forum is ours - it doesn't have to degrade to the lowest common denominator. Policing ourselves in a polite way is the best alternative

Comment

Even Sundance posts as guest it appears!

Thanks for the clarifications - much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Susy Soccer

Sundance - I assume that you will welcome emails from other posters to point out when they feel these attacks are outside these rules? Obviously your view might be different than the notifier's, but it is nice to know that we can come to you if it appears to us there is a problem.

What about racial and ethnic slurs - are these automatically deleted or is there some analysis of how out of line they are. Will those IP addresses be blocked?

Thanks.
                          * All PMs welcome

* All children are strictly off limits

* Haven't seen any racial or ethnic slurs but obviously way out of bounds

* Also this forum is ours - it doesn't have to degrade to the lowest common denominator. Policing ourselves in a polite way is the best alternative - if you see something wrong say something - and if you do it in a polite way it may not turn into a flame war.

Sorry about the anonymous post

Comment

It is also better - easier to respond to - easier to login to - more polite - and just as anonymous - if posters would register under a pen name

Comment

thank you sundance for intervening, this place was getting crazy

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X