Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    The deterioration of cities and pervasive socioeconomic divide comes from an economic system that is tilted in favor of owners while minimizing workers. Rich get richer, poor get poorer. Everything in our society boils down to increasing shareholder value. The stock market growth over the last 50 years has far-outpaced wage growth, and technology is only going to make that worse.
    So what remedy are you proposing?

Comment

So what remedy are you proposing?
      I think this is a good start in changing the way we think about capitalism:

https://2020.yang2020.com/policies/human-capitalism/

Basically this proposes putting economic value and incentives on things that benefit our communities, such as clean air and clean water, positive childhood outcomes, etc.

Comment

I think this is a good start in changing the way we think about capitalism:

https://2020.yang2020.com/policies/human-capitalism/

Basically this proposes putting economic value and incentives on things that benefit our communities, such as clean air and clean water, positive childhood outcomes, etc.
        Read a story about Dolly Parton recently that is along these lines. She visited a school district that had a very high high school dropout rate. She went to one of the younger grades and told the kids to pair-up, and promised that if both kids graduated from high school, she would give them each $500. The graduation rate in that school district skyrocketed over the following decade and has stayed high ever since. Incentivizing people towards positive outcomes is a great idea, and creating a system where businesses have similar incentives would help a lot.

Comment

No black person refers to a group of people as minorities in this day and age. If you were black you would know that. Only the majority speaks like that.
          wow....you make that broad statement about how all black people speak and yet nothing to say about the other posts about "baby daddy".....telling

Comment

wow....you make that broad statement about how all black people speak and yet nothing to say about the other posts about "baby daddy".....telling
            No where in any of the posts did it say that baby daddies were black - any child regardless of race has a dad. And when the baby daddies aren’t in the picture it is much more difficult for a child to achieve success. One of the biggest problems facing this country is the breakdown of the family - regardless of race. And how racist of you to assume the poster was talking about black men when they referenced baby daddies.

Comment

Everyone assumes it because the absence of fathers is an epidemic in black communities at a level that so far exceeds every other group. That’s reality. We aren’t talking about all the Jewish kids with single moms because guess what, that’s not an issue! Being nice is important but let’s also be truthful and self aware.

Comment

Everyone assumes it because the absence of fathers is an epidemic in black communities at a level that so far exceeds every other group. That’s reality. We aren’t talking about all the Jewish kids with single moms because guess what, that’s not an issue! Being nice is important but let’s also be truthful and self aware.
                Totally agree with you but in today’s cancel culture you cannot say anything even if it’s truthful that paints black people in a negative light. And if you can’t confront the truth you can never solve the problem - and fatherless kids is a big problem.

Comment

What does one have to do with the other. Would you feel better if I called out both?

Comment

Totally agree with you but in today’s cancel culture you cannot say anything even if it’s truthful that paints black people in a negative light. And if you can’t confront the truth you can never solve the problem - and fatherless kids is a big problem.
                    I agree..You can no longer have any kind of real truthful conversation ...as you will be attacked from either side of an issue as we can no longer fathom that maybe the truth or solution may be more in the middle. We see it on this blog...parents/coaches attaching clubs and young players and teams and each other....

what started as a way for new soccer parents to find guidance is now a bitter attack zone much like facebook, twitter etc.. full of misinformation and people with selfish agendas that are no longer about making the kids experience better but to either promote or deflate a coach/club/team/league...

its youth soccer and 99% will not get a college scholarship and many that do get one will find its more like a job at some of the top schools....its supposed to be fun and you rarely see that anymore...before you respond that my kid can't "make it" or is no good so that is why I feel this way...she has played most levels EDP, NL and ECNL....and my spouse and I both played multiple sports in high school and D1 in college....

All youth sports are out of control...both with cost and year round everyday training...not to mention crazy parents who film practices and entire games and yell from the sidelines for their kid to take it all the way or shot from 30yd or even to take out an opposing player (yes happened to my D)....

Lets try to give the game back to the kids....

Comment

I agree..You can no longer have any kind of real truthful conversation ...as you will be attacked from either side of an issue as we can no longer fathom that maybe the truth or solution may be more in the middle. We see it on this blog...parents/coaches attaching clubs and young players and teams and each other....

what started as a way for new soccer parents to find guidance is now a bitter attack zone much like facebook, twitter etc.. full of misinformation and people with selfish agendas that are no longer about making the kids experience better but to either promote or deflate a coach/club/team/league...

its youth soccer and 99% will not get a college scholarship and many that do get one will find its more like a job at some of the top schools....its supposed to be fun and you rarely see that anymore...before you respond that my kid can't "make it" or is no good so that is why I feel this way...she has played most levels EDP, NL and ECNL....and my spouse and I both played multiple sports in high school and D1 in college....

All youth sports are out of control...both with cost and year round everyday training...not to mention crazy parents who film practices and entire games and yell from the sidelines for their kid to take it all the way or shot from 30yd or even to take out an opposing player (yes happened to my D)....

I support what you say fully. I believe the majority feel the same way as well. The people who have ruined informational sites like this will never change because it’s anonymous and they are a small group who have no interest to add anything positive to the conversation. Once in awhile you get positive or information that is helpful from people who are trying to give their experiences good and bad. The vast majority who are on this site use it to vent their frustrations with their own situations both in life and their own frustrations with their daughters playing soccer. If you really want an informative site you would have to hold people accountable which will never happen.

Comment

Yes, to bring it back somewhat related to soccer, our first year in club soccer taught us what kind of mongrels most parents are. Calling the club DOC to complain about lack of “production” from an 11 year old teammate of their kid, who played intramural the year prior? Calling to get other players moved positions or complaining about the kids being brought in as competition for the overly coveted “10” spot. Making donations and paying next years coach to train their kid today. B team parents stalking the A team practices and calling every coach to bellyache instead of just kicking a ball in the yard with their no talent kid. Pathetic people but in reality just a snapshot of who we are as a country.

Comment

Yes, to bring it back somewhat related to soccer, our first year in club soccer taught us what kind of mongrels most parents are. Calling the club DOC to complain about lack of “production” from an 11 year old teammate of their kid, who played intramural the year prior? Calling to get other players moved positions or complaining about the kids being brought in as competition for the overly coveted “10” spot. Making donations and paying next years coach to train their kid today. B team parents stalking the A team practices and calling every coach to bellyache instead of just kicking a ball in the yard with their no talent kid. Pathetic people but in reality just a snapshot of who we are as a country.
                          Yes I have also had some of the things happen...crazy and sad!

Comment

U little parents can often be thee worst parents ever, especially if their kids stands out even a little (probably because they're older or bigger, not necessarily more skilled) or their kid is on a team that wins lots of meaningless tournaments and got soccer points. They start envisioning D1 scholarships and soccer glory. By the end of 8th grade half the kids won't be playing, the teams will have changed 75% of the roster, kids who stood out at 11 are now average...

Comment

Tremendous post, one of the most honest and on point. The game has gotten so out of control. While the parents are surely to blame some, but the dishonesty and misleading approach of the academies (with the one and only goal always being to make more $$) takes the cake. As you said very very few go on to play college ball (1-2%). Yet the system oversells this aspect to all from an early age instead of being honest. Just staggering...

Comment

Tremendous post, one of the most honest and on point. The game has gotten so out of control. While the parents are surely to blame some, but the dishonesty and misleading approach of the academies (with the one and only goal always being to make more $$) takes the cake. As you said very very few go on to play college ball (1-2%). Yet the system oversells this aspect to all from an early age instead of being honest. Just staggering...
                                Yes..it gotten way out of control and I doubt it will stop as each year a new patch of parents/players takes that spot on the ladder and the clubs keep doing the exact same thing....

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X