Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odp developmental camp must be hurting

My daughter didn't make the first cut back in the fall for the pool, but yesterday she got an invite to attend the camp in Lakeland, which leads me to believe that having it on Memorial Day weekend was a bad choice.

They must be very low on registrants, if they are sending out emails to girls that couldn't even make the first cut.

And yes, I know already, my daughter sucks, she should be playing rec. Ha-Ha. I get it. I'm just trying to point out that they must not have a good turnout.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    My daughter didn't make the first cut back in the fall for the pool, but yesterday she got an invite to attend the camp in Lakeland, which leads me to believe that having it on Memorial Day weekend was a bad choice.

They must be very low on registrants, if they are sending out emails to girls that couldn't even make the first cut.

And yes, I know already, my daughter sucks, she should be playing rec. Ha-Ha. I get it. I'm just trying to point out that they must not have a good turnout.
    ODP is a joke. Bring ya wallet FYSA wants your $$$$$.

Comment

ODP sucks

Comment

Odp

The Lakeland camp is not ODP. Its a developmental camp to help improve their skills so the player will have a better shot at next years ODP pool try out. All girls that tried out in Jacksonville they didn't make it got the invite. And yes...they want the money.

Comment

The Lakeland camp is not ODP. Its a developmental camp to help improve their skills so the player will have a better shot at next years ODP pool try out. All girls that tried out in Jacksonville they didn't make it got the invite. And yes...they want the money.
          I thought the Developmental Camp was for the pool players that didn't get selected for Alabama regional camp???

Comment

I thought the Developmental Camp was for the pool players that didn't get selected for Alabama regional camp???
            None of them want to go

Comment

None of them want to go
              I assume because its usually a big weekend for tournaments, so they'd rather just play with their club team than go to a camp for more of the same.

Comment

Odp

I see mixed reviews on ODP. I have looked at the pros and cons of it and here is what I came up with.

Pros:
                1. During the pool practices and ODP camp you get to practice with good and different players with good quality coaches which may teach differently than their normal coaches. This is all a good thing.

2. During the camp they go alone for a weekend without their parents. This is a good life experience for them and forces them to be a little more independent.

3. They get to meet new friends from all over.

4. Many of the professional players haVE ODP on their bio's, this must be good for their resume if they have desire to player at a higher lever in the future.

5. For the kids that only have the opportunity to play on small clubs due to their geographical location it gives them a chance to be noticed.

Cons:

1. The money...

Comment

Let me shorten the thread title to "OPD Hurting" Yes, yet it is

Comment

Why does everyone act like ODP is so expensive? Is $150 for several weekends of great training with great players a lot of money? The Region 3 Camp is what, like 600 bucks or something? You're going to pay that at any camp yousend your kid to for an entire week. Those are the costs, at least up to the state team level.

Comment

odp

Agree, its not that bad. Also, if your hurting for money they have grants and scholarships available. Just need to show them your W2.

Comment

Did your daughter play in the FL Premier showcase in Auburndale or State Cup? If so, they have been scouting both of those and maybe, just maybe, they saw something in your kid and invited her to train because they missed her in the beginning. What age group is she?

Comment

Why does everyone act like ODP is so expensive? Is $150 for several weekends of great training with great players a lot of money? The Region 3 Camp is what, like 600 bucks or something? You're going to pay that at any camp yousend your kid to for an entire week. Those are the costs, at least up to the state team level.
                          These costs are accurate - and has been stated on here many times, the cost of the camp is very reasonable for what the kid gets. Many of the University-run ID Camps cost more and deliver less.

Comment

Odp

Did your daughter play in the FL Premier showcase in Auburndale or State Cup? If so, they have been scouting both of those and maybe, just maybe, they saw something in your kid and invited her to train because they missed her in the beginning. What age group is she?
                            The Florida camp is not ODP. ODP camp is in Alabama. The Florida camp is a developmental camp in order to develop the players so they can make ODP the next year. They are doing this because many parents complained last year. Also, EVERYONE who went to the initial pool tryouts in Jacksonville got the invite to the development camp in Florida.

Comment

No they invited kids on the bubble that they thought had some sort of potential. Who know did she play state cup or Region cup it is always possible they observer her there.

ODP is doing just fine

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X