Girls high school

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is it that ever comment, pro or con, makes blanket assumptions about HS soccer or club soccer? Can writers acknowlege that not every HS experience and team is the same, and that while one players experience might be great, for others it's something to be endured? Perhaps a little perspective and complexity can be added to this discussion instead of High School - good; Premier - bad. From reading all of these posts, it sounds as if a lot of individuals are talking more about their HS experience, of the one they having living through their daughters, than they are about the actual experience of the players.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Why is it that ever comment, pro or con, makes blanket assumptions about HS soccer or club soccer? Can writers acknowlege that not every HS experience and team is the same, and that while one players experience might be great, for others it's something to be endured? Perhaps a little perspective and complexity can be added to this discussion instead of High School - good; Premier - bad. From reading all of these posts, it sounds as if a lot of individuals are talking more about their HS experience, of the one they having living through their daughters, than they are about the actual experience of the players.
      You have missed the essence of this debate. The b&m comes from club parents that a.
      hate the fact in CT will not allow HS and Club programs to co-exist during the HS season and b. their kid goes into a playing venue with players that are much more athletic and older, but not club players.

Overwhelming, from the top of the girls soccer food chain down to the bottom, the girls want to play in HS with their friends, in front of the hometown crowd. They want to enjoy the experience that can never be replicated anywhere. Yes, there are some girls, that choose not to play HS soccer and for them - enjoy your choice, whether it's an alternative Fall sport like X-country, a training program or a non-athletic event.

The people that are most wound up about this issue are the club parents not the girls.

Comment

You have missed the essence of this debate. The b&m comes from club parents that a.
        hate the fact in CT will not allow HS and Club programs to co-exist during the HS season and b. their kid goes into a playing venue with players that are much more athletic and older, but not club players.

Overwhelming, from the top of the girls soccer food chain down to the bottom, the girls want to play in HS with their friends, in front of the hometown crowd. They want to enjoy the experience that can never be replicated anywhere. Yes, there are some girls, that choose not to play HS soccer and for them - enjoy your choice, whether it's an alternative Fall sport like X-country, a training program or a non-athletic event.

The people that are most wound up about this issue are the club parents not the girls.
        This, I believe, is true. I look at it like the difference between the marching band and the kid who trains for a recital. As parents, we should have a feel for what floats the kids boat and our job is to help them learn how to be happily alive in the world. It really is all good if they wake up in the morning with a twinkle in their eye. If they don't, make some adjustments while you keep the goal in mind.

Comment

Kids enjoy playing in the HS environment in front of classmates! That atmosphere can't be matched at a premier level. Obviously the level of play isn't the same but why would a HS athlete give that up? It's an 11 week season. Especially female athletes who are now generating large crowds. Sounds like Premier club propaganda! Girlscan probably suggesting girls skip HS and just train.
          There are more people viewing club games than most high school games. Once or twice per year the high school will generate some turnout. It's no Friday Night Lights, Billy Bob.

Comment

There are more people viewing club games than most high school games. Once or twice per year the high school will generate some turnout. It's no Friday Night Lights, Billy Bob.
            Depends. Most club games only get parents. Some mid-week club games may get fewer. But very, very few club games attract anyone other than parents, while quite a lot of HS games do. So, overall, HS get more fans. Particularly more of the fans that count (ie, non-parents). Not Friday Night Lights, but not just mom and dad cheering for 'lil messi either.

Comment

You are clearly out of your mind. There is no one other than family members going to club games. I believe strongly in the club program but HS is what brings the community out.

Comment

You are clearly out of your mind. There is no one other than family members going to club games. I believe strongly in the club program but HS is what brings the community out.
                Yes! So let's show those #'s and feelings! Brackets out tomorrow? Let the games begin and my the odds always be in your favor...

Comment

Could not be more wrong. Club games are mom and dad. Showcase club games are mom, dad, college coaches and opposing teams killing time. Pick any sport, it's the same.

HS games have crowds depending on the school, sport and success of the team. Crowds swell as teams run deep into conference and state play offs.

Remember a girls volleyball final that likely had, between both teams, easily 400/500 people.

Comment

lol I can't even get my club players' siblings to a game, and for many club families they only have one parent at a game. HS crowds are light during the week but there is a mix of fans and parents. Friday night games get a decent showing, then it builds into conference games. Our HS community is very supportive of the teams and my kids have a blast participating on their respective teams, and going to watch others sports with their friends. I can understand why some players might want to opt out and that's their choice. I wish boys playing academy weren't forced into that decision.

Comment

There were about 25-30 people in the stands for senior night at our high school. Maybe Modern Family was on TV or something but nobody seemed to care (and we have a pretty good team with club and D1-bound players). I'd say we get the same number at a home game for the club but it doesn't feel as empty because the sidelines are small. Another point I'd make is that club games are actually watched. Many people at the high school games, to the extent there are people there, are casually chatting in the stands or on their smartphones.

I've seen big games, especially post-season, where high school girls can draw 100 people or more and people are really in to it. Those are fun. And rare in my experience. If a girl on the JV is having a birthday it's just as likely that game will have more attendance than a regular varsity fixture.

Comment

There were about 25-30 people in the stands for senior night at our high school. Maybe Modern Family was on TV or something but nobody seemed to care (and we have a pretty good team with club and D1-bound players). I'd say we get the same number at a home game for the club but it doesn't feel as empty because the sidelines are small. Another point I'd make is that club games are actually watched. Many people at the high school games, to the extent there are people there, are casually chatting in the stands or on their smartphones.

I've seen big games, especially post-season, where high school girls can draw 100 people or more and people are really in to it. Those are fun. And rare in my experience. If a girl on the JV is having a birthday it's just as likely that game will have more attendance than a regular varsity fixture.
                        Sounds like you don't get out much. My daughter plays both and there is no student section at her club games and no 'town soccer night' sponsored by our towns travel soccer club to get even more families to both boys and girls hs games. When our hs boys teams have gone to tournament games the school often gets busses to transport fans to far away games. Our hs games are far better attended than our club games .... not even close.

Comment

brackets

Yes! So let's show those #'s and feelings! Brackets out tomorrow? Let the games begin and my the odds always be in your favor...
                          the brackets are done and have been once the season ended. its the same every year and easy to figure out who you are playing and who is in your side of the bracket. only thing that will come out today that is the unknown would be game times. I remember first round games were very early last year.

Comment

You sound wound up.....

Comment

Sounds like you don't get out much. My daughter plays both and there is no student section at her club games and no 'town soccer night' sponsored by our towns travel soccer club to get even more families to both boys and girls hs games. When our hs boys teams have gone to tournament games the school often gets busses to transport fans to far away games. Our hs games are far better attended than our club games .... not even close.
                              I think it can be very town dependent. We currently live in a town that has good soccer support much like you describe, but we previously lived in another that didn't. If it's a big football town and the football team is playing that night, tough to get many soccer fans out. And after school games are very thin because students are all at their own after-school activities, etc.

At club games, even against arch-rivals, at best you'll 20 people, all parents and a few siblings who were dragged along. My kids' close friends (or boyfriends/girlfriends) have gone to HS games to cheer them on, never once to a club game. That's fine. It's just completely different.

Comment

get what you get

I think it can be very town dependent. We currently live in a town that has good soccer support much like you describe, but we previously lived in another that didn't. If it's a big football town and the football team is playing that night, tough to get many soccer fans out. And after school games are very thin because students are all at their own after-school activities, etc.

At club games, even against arch-rivals, at best you'll 20 people, all parents and a few siblings who were dragged along. My kids' close friends (or boyfriends/girlfriends) have gone to HS games to cheer them on, never once to a club game. That's fine. It's just completely different.
                                When you charge the fans $7 ($5 for students) to come watch a high school FCIAC soccer game, you unfortunately have to deal with smaller crowds at games.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X