Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the story with this Captain U ??

Did anybody ever use this website/service, does it work, did you get anything out of it ?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Did anybody ever use this website/service, does it work, did you get anything out of it ?
    its a scam run to get your money. Totally worthless site and process.

just walk away

Comment

Change the name to "Captain F U"

Comment

its a scam run to get your money. Totally worthless site and process.

just walk away
        Contrary to what this guy says it is not a scam and it is not worthless. My son is a freshman at college right now at DII school and captain U did help him get there. With out Captain U you have to go to waste a lot of time going to each individual school's web site and get contact information.

With Captain U you can go to one location to get pretty accurate email address, links and phone numbers. You can quickly search for a school by division, geography and size. Then when you pull up your school it is pretty accurate in regards to cost and ACT averages and you can see if you stack up academically and if it is worth you time going further.

When you email coaches you can see who opens them and you can see if some one saw your profile in a search and then you can email that coach right away. Sometimes they get back with you, sometimes they don't . Sometimes coaches just forward your information to admissions and then you get solicitations or all you get is ID camp information but it depends in the school.

The bottom line it is a central hub of information with tools that can help you if you put the time into it.

On a grading scale I give it a "B"

Comment

Contrary to what this guy says it is not a scam and it is not worthless. My son is a freshman at college right now at DII school and captain U did help him get there. With out Captain U you have to go to waste a lot of time going to each individual school's web site and get contact information.

With Captain U you can go to one location to get pretty accurate email address, links and phone numbers. You can quickly search for a school by division, geography and size. Then when you pull up your school it is pretty accurate in regards to cost and ACT averages and you can see if you stack up academically and if it is worth you time going further.

When you email coaches you can see who opens them and you can see if some one saw your profile in a search and then you can email that coach right away. Sometimes they get back with you, sometimes they don't . Sometimes coaches just forward your information to admissions and then you get solicitations or all you get is ID camp information but it depends in the school.

The bottom line it is a central hub of information with tools that can help you if you put the time into it.

It's great if you like to pay for information that is available for free on other sites. Among others, The College Board ( the folks who run the SAT ) have a college configurator that allows you to quickly find all schools that match your criteria, including region, size, majors, athletics, and many other criteria. As for contacting coaches, their emails are readily available at each schools site.

And it's free. Captain U and its cousin Soccer in College are simply a clever marketing tool that charges a fee to do something you can do on your own.

Comment

Sorry but this is a service that preys on the desperate hopes of families who will almost do anything to find a path to collegiate sports for their kids.

Comment

Sorry but this is a service that preys on the desperate hopes of families who will almost do anything to find a path to collegiate sports for their kids.
              Like I said we used and he it helped him get his scholarship, Unless you are in DA you have to work real hard to get recruited. And we used many sources free and not free and Captain U was one tool.

BTW when we went to UT and FCGU the coahces said that they do indeed go and visit Captain U.

Thanks

Comment

It's great if you like to pay for information that is available for free on other sites. Among others, The College Board ( the folks who run the SAT ) have a college configurator that allows you to quickly find all schools that match your criteria, including region, size, majors, athletics, and many other criteria. As for contacting coaches, their emails are readily available at each schools site.

And it's free. Captain U and its cousin Soccer in College are simply a clever marketing tool that charges a fee to do something you can do on your own.
                Captain U and Soccer in College are great marketing tools for colleges to recruit for ID camps that are nothing short of fundraisers for the colleges and sometimes, allows an actual recruited kid by the college in off season to be watched in a group that the others pay for.

Do not get roped in…..you can spend thousands on Captain U, and ID camps that could have actually gone to college tuition.

Comment

Captain U and Soccer in College are great marketing tools for colleges to recruit for ID camps that are nothing short of fundraisers for the colleges and sometimes, allows an actual recruited kid by the college in off season to be watched in a group that the others pay for.

Do not get roped in…..you can spend thousands on Captain U, and ID camps that could have actually gone to college tuition.
                  Thousands on Captain U LMAO. Dude IDK if it is $25 per month

Comment

Well said at thousands at $25.00 a month…..big bucks! No?

Comment

I think he said ...and ID camps. He is right. On top of all the costs associated with playing (club dues, uniforms, travel) people DO spend thousands more on going to ID camps. I don't know how many invites we got for colleges up north. We thrashed them all but a girl on our team flew up at least 4 times. Nuts if you ask me. Then they did all the local ID camps and those in bordering States with hotel stays etc. Nuts! This kid ended up not getting any offers.

Maybe Captain U isn't overly expensive...but it is just one more cost on top of thousands already that people are throwing away in hopes of getting some money in return.

At the end of the day it all comes down to talent, playing on a very competitive team, targeting the right schools and a having a coach with well established connections.

Comment

Everyone does what they think is best for their situation.My son and I worked together on the College Recruiting process.
                        We were fortunate do to him playing R3PL with his Club Team from age U16,U17 & U18 and also Heis Team got into some very Good Tourneys.
                        He also benefited due to a solid GPA with Very Good ACT & SAT scores while attending a High Profile Private High School with a History of a Top Notch Soccer Program.He also qualified for Bright Futures and some other Academic Scholarships along with some Money for the College.We actually enjoyed the process of finding the right CollegeSo far so Good. He is statring his 2nd Year. Who know what the Future holds ?
                        Last edited by FLCapt; 08-27-2014, 06:31 AM.

Comment

I think he said ...and ID camps. He is right. On top of all the costs associated with playing (club dues, uniforms, travel) people DO spend thousands more on going to ID camps. I don't know how many invites we got for colleges up north. We thrashed them all but a girl on our team flew up at least 4 times. Nuts if you ask me. Then they did all the local ID camps and those in bordering States with hotel stays etc. Nuts! This kid ended up not getting any offers.

Maybe Captain U isn't overly expensive...but it is just one more cost on top of thousands already that people are throwing away in hopes of getting some money in return.

At the end of the day it all comes down to talent, playing on a very competitive team, targeting the right schools and a having a coach with well established connections.
                          ID Camps are generally pretty cheap from $75 to $100< even if you go to 7 that is $700 not thousands.

Let me stress that your financial plan for college should not include a soccer scholarship. yes we did spend thousands of dollars on our kids youth soccer during their careers and it was MONEY WELL SPENT.

People spend thousands just to go to Hawaii on Waikiki beach and play golf or stuffing their faces at Berns or leasing that nice BMW and have no issues with it. These same people complain about the thousands you spend on soccer that could have gone to college. How about spending thousands on soccer in a sport that is physically healthy for you and you drive a Ford or eat at home or take local vacations to save for college. Pick and chose where you want to spend your thousands. I chose soccer.

Over the years we travelled had fun with the kids and have great memories. We were entertained with great games and it was all worth it. If money is an issue then play rec soccer.

Our son did end up getting his soccer scholarship and we worked hard for him to get it but not for the money; rather, because he loved the game and he will do anything to play soccer. Our son has never been a lover of school but soccer at club and high school and now college helps him get through it.

Soccer will help him get his degree. His coach will not start you if you skip one class. He has to go 6 hours per week to mandatory tutors. He is learning organization skills, team work and he LOVES what he is doing. The fact that he got some money to play soccer is just a bonus

Comment

ID Camps are generally pretty cheap from $75 to $100< even if you go to 7 that is $700 not thousands.

Let me stress that your financial plan for college should not include a soccer scholarship. yes we did spend thousands of dollars on our kids youth soccer during their careers and it was MONEY WELL SPENT.

People spend thousands just to go to Hawaii on Waikiki beach and play golf or stuffing their faces at Berns or leasing that nice BMW and have no issues with it. These same people complain about the thousands you spend on soccer that could have gone to college. How about spending thousands on soccer in a sport that is physically healthy for you and you drive a Ford or eat at home or take local vacations to save for college. Pick and chose where you want to spend your thousands. I chose soccer.

Over the years we travelled had fun with the kids and have great memories. We were entertained with great games and it was all worth it. If money is an issue then play rec soccer.

Our son did end up getting his soccer scholarship and we worked hard for him to get it but not for the money; rather, because he loved the game and he will do anything to play soccer. Our son has never been a lover of school but soccer at club and high school and now college helps him get through it.

Soccer will help him get his degree. His coach will not start you if you skip one class. He has to go 6 hours per week to mandatory tutors. He is learning organization skills, team work and he LOVES what he is doing. The fact that he got some money to play soccer is just a bonus
                            A Lot of Copmpanys/Corporations prefer to Hire Athelets due to the dedication and extra time it takes to play a sport in college. They do learn organizational skills, time management and have mandatory tutoring. Their is a Guidance Counselor assigned to Student Athelets to help them manuver thru the system and get their classes shceduled so it also works with the Sports schedule they have.

Comment

Well said....that's how I feel as well....

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X