Talking-Soccer.com  
Please enable / Bitte aktiviere JavaScript!
Veuillez activer / Por favor activa el Javascript![ ? ]

Go Back   Talking-Soccer.com > Soccer By Region / State > Region 1 > Massachusetts

Notices

Massachusetts Discussions about Massachusetts soccer.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-09-2010
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Needham Girls HS Hazing

Did the punishment fit the crime? Are these parents who are taking the principal's ruling to court looking for in injunction wrong to do so? Personally, I think suspending those involved is spot on and the parents are completely out of line. The girls, especially the Jr.'s and Sr.'s should have known better.
  #2  
Old 11-09-2010
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

The Court will never order the school to make them play.
  #3  
Old 11-09-2010
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

While the incident itself seems relatively harmless, these hazing episodes have the ability to escalate into something much serious. Schools now adays have a zero tolerance for hazing and its hard to argue against this. Team bonding can be built on a better platform than hazing younger players.

As for the injunction, a lawyer might want to comment as to whether or not this is likely to be granted. If the parents who are seeking the injunction know that their daughters did participate in the hazing, than they really have lost their moral compass. If one or more were wrongly implicated, than its still difficult to understand the use of the court system here.
  #4  
Old 11-09-2010
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

According to a report on WBZ-TV, five Needham High girls soccer have been suspended for their alleged roles in the hazing of three freshmen. Also, head coach Carl Tarabelli has placed on administrative leave.

Joe Shortsleeve of WBZ is also reporting that parents of the suspended players are seeking an injunction to overturn the ruling in time for tonight’s first round tournament game at Memorial Field against Brockton.

The newsroom is working on this story.
  #5  
Old 11-09-2010
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hazing is a serious offense.........these girls have far more to worry about than whether or not they can play soccer. This team could be disbanded for a year, the coach can be fired and the girls can be prosecuted in criminal court. This is no joking matter and is very serious stuff!!!

See MIAA link:

http://www.miaa.net/hazing-law.pdf

"Chapter 269, Section 17
Crime of Hazing, Definition, Penalty
Whoever is a principal organizer or participant in the crime of hazing, as defined herein,
shall be punished by a fine of not more than three thousand dollars or by imprisonment
in a house of correction for not more than one year, or both such fine and imprisonment."
  #6  
Old 11-09-2010
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
While the incident itself seems relatively harmless, these hazing episodes have the ability to escalate into something much serious. Schools now adays have a zero tolerance for hazing and its hard to argue against this. Team bonding can be built on a better platform than hazing younger players.

As for the injunction, a lawyer might want to comment as to whether or not this is likely to be granted. If the parents who are seeking the injunction know that their daughters did participate in the hazing, than they really have lost their moral compass. If one or more were wrongly implicated, than its still difficult to understand the use of the court system here.
It is a clear indication of how distorted our parental priorities are when sports are involved.
I have spoken with parents that actually think behavior like this is acceptable.
Congrats to the school and principal for actually standing up for these freshmen.
  #7  
Old 11-09-2010
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
It is a clear indication of how distorted our parental priorities are when sports are involved.
I have spoken with parents that actually think behavior like this is acceptable.
Congrats to the school and principal for actually standing up for these freshmen.
Have the girls been found guilty yet??
If not, then they are presumed innocent.
This right seems to be afforded to those way high up on the social ladder, illegal immigrants, or minorities with some chip on their shoulders.
If that is the case then they should have been allowed to play.
However..........
If they are guilty then they should be appropriately punished as well as the coach. Even if the coach knew nothing of it (which I doubt since the coaches daughter is either a Junior or Senior on the team), the conduct of his/her players, with regard to the team, is still his/her responsibility
  #8  
Old 11-09-2010
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

For anyone who knows one of the parents seeking an injunction, give them this copy of the law against hazing since they think being suspended from the playoffs is too harsh.


Chapter 269, Section 17
Crime of Hazing, Definition, Penalty
Whoever is a principal organizer or participant in the crime of hazing, as defined herein,
shall be punished by a fine of not more than three thousand dollars or by imprisonment
in a house of correction for not more than one year, or both such fine and imprisonment.
The term hazing as used in this section and in sections eighteen and nineteen, shall
mean any conduct or method of initiation into any student organization, whether on
public or private property, which willfully or recklessly endangers the physical or mental
health of any student or other person. Such conduct shall include whipping, beating,
branding, forced calisthenics, exposure to the weather, forced consumption of any food,
liquor, beverage, drug or other substance, or any other brutal treatment or forced
physical activity which is likely to adversely affect the physical health or safety of any
such student or person, or which subjects such student or other person to extreme mental
stress, including extended deprivation of sleep or rest or extended isolation.
Notwithstanding any other provisions of this section to the contrary, consent shall not be
available as a defense to any prosecution under this action. Added by St. 1985, c.536;
amended by St. 1987, c.665.

Chapter 269, Section 18
Duty to Report Hazing
Whoever knows that another person is the victim of hazing as defined in section
seventeen and is at the scene of such crime, shall, to the extent that such person can do
so without danger or peril to himself or others, report such crime to an appropriate law
enforcement official as soon as reasonably practicable. Whoever fails to report such
crime shall be punished by a fine of not more than one thousand dollars. Added by St.
1985, c. 536; amended by St. 1987, c. 665.
  #9  
Old 11-09-2010
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Have the girls been found guilty yet??
If not, then they are presumed innocent.
This right seems to be afforded to those way high up on the social ladder, illegal immigrants, or minorities with some chip on their shoulders.
If that is the case then they should have been allowed to play.
However..........
If they are guilty then they should be appropriately punished as well as the coach. Even if the coach knew nothing of it (which I doubt since the coaches daughter is either a Junior or Senior on the team), the conduct of his/her players, with regard to the team, is still his/her responsibility
So using your logic, that kid who shot another student at Brockton High last year (the fact that Needham plays Brockton High tonight is just a coincidence) at the basketball tryouts should have been allowed to try out for the team the following day since you can't presume guilt.
  #10  
Old 11-09-2010
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

The coach knew about this and tried to sweep it under the rug. It should have been made very clear to the team prior to the season that hazing is not permitted and considered a very serious offense. Because it involved his daughter, he hoped it would just go away rather than doing the right thing and followed the rules and punished all involved, regardless of whether or not it was his daughter. Instead, by trying to cover it up, he has essentially ended the post season for the rest of his team. He should be ashamed of himself
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Season suspended for hazing Unregistered Florida 3 08-23-2012 01:48 PM
Guest player U15 Girls Needham Memorial Unregistered Massachusetts 16 05-23-2012 06:12 AM
Needham girls HS Soccer/ How did Coach T keep his job? Unregistered Massachusetts 55 09-07-2011 01:21 PM
Needham H.S. Girls Hazing Incident Unregistered Massachusetts 0 11-09-2010 07:19 AM
Hazing MASoccer Massachusetts 15 09-30-2008 10:47 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.