Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone explain the league alphabet soup?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone explain the league alphabet soup?

I'm trying to figure out how the various leagues map out: ECNL, NPL, R1PL, etc. I'm confused.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I'm trying to figure out how the various leagues map out: ECNL, NPL, R1PL, etc. I'm confused.
    Sure you are.

"Alphabet soup"? You're kidding right?

Comment

If you're really this naive, then here's how it works: leagues are irrelevant to your kid's development. Find a club that's nearby that will provide the right level of training for your kid's talent level. Trust the coach to place them in a league that will provide the right level of competition. Don't worry about it, until your kid's in HS.

Comment

If you haven't figured it out yet, you can't ask a question on TS without being mocked, ridiculed or told you have an agenda.

Comment

I was asked this question last night by someone in our track club.

It is very confusing and I am not sure there is an easy concise answer. The fact that the boys and girls side are different only adds to the mess.

As for find a local club and let the coach decide, I disagree.

I suggest find a club where your child is slightly above the middle of the club's players, This is a challenge for a parent to honestly access their child's level.

And then constantly reassess whether your child is growing or not. And if they are growing how do they still relate to their peers.

Comment

It's the team you need to find, not the club. A club can have a good situation in one age group, not so good in another age group, just depending on the mix of players, parents, coach, and the personalities of all.

Comment

I was asked this question last night by someone in our track club.

It is very confusing and I am not sure there is an easy concise answer. The fact that the boys and girls side are different only adds to the mess.

As for find a local club and let the coach decide, I disagree.

I suggest find a club where your child is slightly above the middle of the club's players, This is a challenge for a parent to honestly access their child's level.

And then constantly reassess whether your child is growing or not. And if they are growing how do they still relate to their peers.
              Three responses and only one of them an honest attempt to answer the question. This proves yet again that TS has been hijacked by a bunch of nihilistic brats. This forum could do so much to inform but more often than not is just a place for trolls to hurl invectives.

Comment

Three responses and only one of them an honest attempt to answer the question. This proves yet again that TS has been hijacked by a bunch of nihilistic brats. This forum could do so much to inform but more often than not is just a place for trolls to hurl invectives.
                I don't understand your response. My response was that it is very confusing and not terribly clear. How is that a nihilistic brat response? Now I am even more confused.

Comment

To the OP,

Are you asking about male or female? And what age group are you in? I will try to narrow the answer from there.

-- Pathfinder

Comment

It's the team you need to find, not the club. A club can have a good situation in one age group, not so good in another age group, just depending on the mix of players, parents, coach, and the personalities of all.

Always chase after good coaching. Let your child dictate, like or dislike, of the coach. being inspired, is all most kids need, to want to learn.

Here on ts, most would have you believe that there is no learning being done, or chance for growth, or opportunities for success, unless you are on the A team, playing against the A teams.

Comment

For girls, supposedly the caliber of play, from strongest to weakest, would go:
                      Elite Clubs National League (ECNL)
                      Region I Premier League
                      New England Premiership (NEP, one of various National Premier Leagues (NPL) around the country)
                      Region I Northeast League ("subregional" league)
                      Mass. Premier League (MAPLE)
                      Mass. Soccer Conference (MASC)
                      Town travel leagues

It is confusing. You should know that a given team can play in more than 1 of these leagues. Also, it is regularly evolving, so that familiarity with things just a couple years ago is now out of date. There are different national organizations, US Youth Soccer and US Club Soccer to name 2, behind many of these leagues, which may help you understand. A philosophical difference is that USYS believes in team-based competitions, whereas USCS believes in club-based competition.

Comment

FC Stars of MA has a good explanation on their website....you can also google the terms....

Comment

Always chase after good coaching. Let your child dictate, like or dislike, of the coach. being inspired, is all most kids need, to want to learn.

Here on ts, most would have you believe that there is no learning being done, or chance for growth, or opportunities for success, unless you are on the A team, playing against the A teams.
                          Ain't that the truth! The egomaniacs here think that unless you kid is on a very top team in an age group and winning in the top division, that you and your team "suck" and should just quit soccer now. If you can ignore that type of drivel and sift through all the crap, there is actual information to be gleaned here.

Comment

I don't understand your response. My response was that it is very confusing and not terribly clear. How is that a nihilistic brat response? Now I am even more confused.
                            Your response was the one valid response. I was critical of the others.

Comment

To the OP,

Are you asking about male or female? And what age group are you in? I will try to narrow the answer from there.

-- Pathfinder
                              U14 girls, as an example. Also, I'm not asking to determine where my child plays. I'm asking because it is confusing and I'm trying to better understand the landscape.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X