Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the benefits of being a Team Manager?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are the benefits of being a Team Manager?

What are they?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    What are they?
    Discounted player fees, but the percentage discount varies widely between clubs. Typically can be anywhere between 5% and 75%.

Comment

What are they?
      The discount I got was zero percent--although I did get a free shirt.

I did it because my predecessor was terrible and I wanted to make sure the job was done right. That's all. (No, I didn't do it to get PT for my kid. He would have gotten plenty anyway.)

Comment

The discount I got was zero percent--although I did get a free shirt.

I did it because my predecessor was terrible and I wanted to make sure the job was done right. That's all. (No, I didn't do it to get PT for my kid. He would have gotten plenty anyway.)
        You get to know all the team gossip! ooooo!

Seriously, you will learn more than you want to know about each player, but you will be the first to get relevant team information. You should have gotten a better deal though.

Comment

What are they?
          Special treatment, seriously! I've never witnessed a team manager who's kid didn't get special treatment. Warranted or not it has happened 100% out of 5 teams we have been involved in.

Comment

They send out emails and think its a position to save their kids from being cut!

Comment

Have managed 3 teams, I never received anything, kids never got anything. I was asked to do it, so no reason not to. Two constants: people always think I know more than I do, and people always think everyone else's kid is treated better than theirs.

Comment

I loved being a team manager. Got no special treatment. Daughter was in the upper 1/2 of the team so she played a decent amount. What it did for me is move my hyper focused helicopter (and sometimes unhealthy) obsessions with how SHE personally was performing on the field, to a more relaxed global view of the whole team and how the parts interplayed. People think TMs do the job to get perks. They were minimal. A small discount on team fees, and a heads up first on tournaments and schedules. I worked for an extremely organized Stars coach (GC) who had his sh+t together when it came to schedules and organizing and especially notifying parents so we rarely had to put out fires that were self created.

On occasion you'd get a negative parent who wanted things to be different; but generally other parents rallied around them and the gossip was kept to a minimum.

It was nice being a part of my daughter's activities without sweating my nuts off every week about every mistake. She got called out numerous times for mistakes...so there was no special treatment. I think most coaches try to chose team managers whose daughters are likely in the upper 1/2-1/3 of the team so that they can rely on them for possibly more than one year.

That said, don't do it if you have motives about getting your kid special treatment. People see right through that - including the coach - and you will earn very little respect. Most important aspect of the job is communication so if you hate dealing with that...it's not something you should volunteer for.

Comment

They send out emails and think its a position to save their kids from being cut!
                  wrong D bag. most managers kids are the top player. #jealous

Comment

I loved being a team manager. Got no special treatment. Daughter was in the upper 1/2 of the team so she played a decent amount. What it did for me is move my hyper focused helicopter (and sometimes unhealthy) obsessions with how SHE personally was performing on the field, to a more relaxed global view of the whole team and how the parts interplayed. People think TMs do the job to get perks. They were minimal. A small discount on team fees, and a heads up first on tournaments and schedules. I worked for an extremely organized Stars coach (GC) who had his sh+t together when it came to schedules and organizing and especially notifying parents so we rarely had to put out fires that were self created.

On occasion you'd get a negative parent who wanted things to be different; but generally other parents rallied around them and the gossip was kept to a minimum.

It was nice being a part of my daughter's activities without sweating my nuts off every week about every mistake. She got called out numerous times for mistakes...so there was no special treatment. I think most coaches try to chose team managers whose daughters are likely in the upper 1/2-1/3 of the team so that they can rely on them for possibly more than one year.

That said, don't do it if you have motives about getting your kid special treatment. People see right through that - including the coach - and you will earn very little respect. Most important aspect of the job is communication so if you hate dealing with that...it's not something you should volunteer for.
                    What examples do you have for negative parents wanting things to be different? I'm a new team manager.

Comment

???? There are TM that kids are not the top players. Sorry, but your kid is not that good.

Comment

I was a team manager. My kid wasn't the top player, as a matter of fact she didn't even start.

Comment

You get to know all the team gossip! ooooo!

Seriously, you will learn more than you want to know about each player, but you will be the first to get relevant team information. You should have gotten a better deal though.
                          Gossip and inside info depends on the coach. On one team TM knew everything, on current team coach tells TM info on need to know basis and there is much he thinks TM doesn't need to know until absolutely necessary.

Comment

What examples do you have for negative parents wanting things to be different? I'm a new team manager.
                            For me, nothing earth shattering. Trying to keep their kids in multi-sports when schedules conflict. Issues with time slots of tournament games. Occasionally upset b/c their kid felt picked on by either the team or the coach. Occasionally playing time. You can't go wrong to field all of those to the coach.

Comment

For me, nothing earth shattering. Trying to keep their kids in multi-sports when schedules conflict. Issues with time slots of tournament games. Occasionally upset b/c their kid felt picked on by either the team or the coach. Occasionally playing time. You can't go wrong to field all of those to the coach.
                              Thanks! I'll make note of it.....

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X