Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    You raise an interesting question. Can the word 'literally' be used as a metaphor? Certainly there is a poster who uses the word all the time and almost always what he uses it for could not possibly be the case.

Substitute 'functionally' if you prefer.
    "Functionally" would also be antonymous. You are looking for "virtually" or "figuratively".

Comment

"Functionally" would also be antonymous. You are looking for "virtually" or "figuratively".
      Go start an English thread. It is a forum who cares if context, verbiage etc is wrong. Over educated douche pointing out peoples typos!! WOOT WOOT Grammar cops.

For the record BTDT cant afford a vacation. Guy hasnt had a job in about ten years! He even freeloads at home. What kind of man is that?

Comment

BTDT, BtDT, TDBT, TTBD...perspective, perszpective, perspective...forcepush,pushforce....pathfinder,pa thfinda....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Comment

BTDT, BtDT, TDBT, TTBD...perspective, perszpective, perspective...forcepush,pushforce....pathfinder,pa thfinda....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
          You know a thread is tired when the grammar and spelling cops have the most interesting post in the past week...

Comment

No, that's the point. I was looking for a word stronger than 'virtually' or 'figuratively.' And I am going to assert that you can use words like 'literally' and 'functioning' in an apparently misused way as ironic metaphor, to connote in this case that the bludgeoning truly has been off-the-charts.

Comment

No, that's the point. I was looking for a word stronger than 'virtually' or 'figuratively.' And I am going to assert that you can use words like 'literally' and 'functioning' in an apparently misused way as ironic metaphor, to connote in this case that the bludgeoning truly has been off-the-charts.
              I'm going to assert that you can say black when it's white and 4 when it's 2. Those aren't "apparent misuse" but "falsity".

Comment

I'm going to assert that you can say black when it's white and 4 when it's 2. Those aren't "apparent misuse" but "falsity".
                Liberals play fast and loose with the language. They need victim status and it's an arms race. They need to be ever more dramatic in their narratives to get anyone to pay attention. Now, people are LITERALLY being bludgeoned to death on a website. Even the men are women over there on the left. And the women are rough and nasty.

Comment

Applying mathematical truth misses the mark in this instance. Have you taken a philosophy of language course? The meaning of a word can be understood within the context of the meaning of a sentence/utterance. The word 'death' clearly can be used metaphorically, so if you accept for a moment that the word 'death' was used metaphorically rather than literally, the the word 'literally' can apply in that instance. If you consider what the sentence was doing, as an intention of meaning, then the word 'literally' was very much an appropriate word.

Comment

Liberals play fast and loose with the language. They need victim status and it's an arms race. They need to be ever more dramatic in their narratives to get anyone to pay attention. Now, people are LITERALLY being bludgeoned to death on a website. Even the men are women over there on the left. And the women are rough and nasty.
                    Would you feel better about "functionally bludgeoned into submission"? The intent is clear, which is to 'kill' any and all signs of 'life' from the opposition.

You would think we'd be given a little latitude here since the poster in question is famous for his very, very liberal use of analogies and metaphors.

Comment

Would you feel better about "functionally bludgeoned into submission"? The intent is clear, which is to 'kill' any and all signs of 'life' from the opposition.

You would think we'd be given a little latitude here since the poster in question is famous for his very, very liberal use of analogies and metaphors.
                      You are functionally a moron.

Comment

You are functionally a moron.
                        I think you mean literally.

Comment

I think you mean literally.
                          same meaning

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          Working...
                          X