Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    So please excuse my ignorance if I don't know these answers, but my son is younger and haven't been exposed to much of this as yet. I read that the academy programs often take care of finances or offer significant help, but also that a number of academy kids chose to play for one of the catholic schools or prep schools. Do these schools offer any sort of financial assistance if you have a top tier player ? I ask only because these schools are not usually cheap...thanks
    For the prep schools it is need based financial aid. Nothing to do with athletic based.

Comment

So please excuse my ignorance if I don't know these answers, but my son is younger and haven't been exposed to much of this as yet. I read that the academy programs often take care of finances or offer significant help, but also that a number of academy kids chose to play for one of the catholic schools or prep schools. Do these schools offer any sort of financial assistance if you have a top tier player ? I ask only because these schools are not usually cheap...thanks
      Early on academy kids played fall private school and spring academy through the use of waivers. The academies are now discouraging waivers for private school kids

Comment

Early on academy kids played fall private school and spring academy through the use of waivers. The academies are now discouraging waivers for private school kids
        Unless of course they are really, really good players.

Comment

ok.....so which is it..needs based or athletic..or does it become a "wink, wink" thing if they are really good

Comment

Revs is Free, Bolts has assistance if you are good and have need. Prep schools will recruit good players but those players have to meet academic standards to a degree, there is lots of help there. some preps look at character while some quite frankly do not. Hockey is the main focus of Catholics although a good soccer player may get an admission nod but financial aid is need based. In Preps case, Giving up a good education for a chance to play div 1 is tough risk to take IMO.

Comment

ok.....so which is it..needs based or athletic..or does it become a "wink, wink" thing if they are really good
              Exactly. They will find you are more needy if you are a better player

Comment

Should have got TD in this article. I'm sure he would have some great things to say about the Revs.

Comment

What does a top non DAP kid do if he has no interest in HS soccer. Train and wait for spring club season to begin? I doubt it happens often but some HS program could be that bad. I suppose they could train with u14 in club

Have you tried to contact the Academy team and ask if your son could be a practice player? You might be pleasantly surprised when they say 'no problem'. It will cost you something and you will have to sign a waiver, but many will let your kid on the field for practice.

Comment

Most schools it is more needs based. There are a few HS that revolve around sports and they'll wink wink. But most of the better ones do actually care more about education plus have limited aid dollars they can dole out.

And unless it is a powerhouse school you'll run into the same issue at a public HS in terms of variable quality of coaching/players/competition. If it is a powerhouse school then there are other players coming from all over to also play at that powerhouse school - might have a better chance being a starting stud in public HS.

Comment

Should have got TD in this article. I'm sure he would have some great things to say about the Revs.
                      Say what? That the REVS told him he would not be starting on their 18yr old team and they understood if he choose high school over DAP.

Comment

Say what? That the REVS told him he would not be starting on their 18yr old team and they understood if he choose high school over DAP.
                        Ok, I'll bite. At least half of last years NEFC U13 team should be playing U14 Rev's
                        The only one that is used to play for GH at Blackwatch.

Comment

isn't one at bolts academy this year?

Comment

Current 98 Bolts u16 academy lost 5 starters to prep schools, due to no waiver policy. Some U18 team also. Rumor has it they are now being creative on getting some back. Let's see what the roster looks like in the spring. Revs are more open to waivers and do what they need to do to keep the best kids.
                            Being creative aka playing loose with the rules.

Comment

Please let us know what best players in Mass are not playing DAP.
                              I hear this statement all the time but no one has ever given any intials or club team names .
                              If they are out there people want to know so let it out
                              The statement comes from knowing players at DA clubs who the club wanted to keep, but the player chose to go elsewhere. It gets simplified here to wanting to play HS soccer, but it's more than that. Some have another sport. Some want to play with friends on conventional club. Some don't like a coach's style. Some can't swing the travel (dap may be free, but think about the commuting time to training for some, compared to going 5 minutes to their HS field). Anyway, lots of reasons.

Comment

isn't one at bolts academy this year?
                                he was not offered a Rev's spot either

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X